Hi-Tech Old School

Sir Fed

My latest ride, a custom built STEEL TT frame with carbon fork. Raised a few eyebrows with my choice of steel but those that have ridden a hand built steel frame will know the feel and power transfer that it gives. As for aerodynamics, its plenty aero enough as can be seen from the rear view.

20060920_022759_Razzo_004.jpg

20060920_022615_Razzo_007.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! Do you mind telling the cost of just the frame / fork?

Guess you should be expecting some of those clever 'hey look his chain's too long' posts soon!

Cost was free, the frame builder is a friend but its unlikely to be cheaper than the mass produced alu frames out there.

As for the chain, yeah, I saw that when I downloaded the photos. I stuck the disc in for the pic and forgot to turn the cranks so that the chain was on properly. Glad to know that you are paying attention to the details though.

Haven't weighed it yet Swiss, too scared too. It wont be light but I am guessing around 9kg's which is pretty good for a tri bike when you consider all the crap on it. Since most our races are on relatively flat courses its also not that big a deal.

Tubing is Columbus Spirit. We could have shaved a few grams by using Life tubes but it wasn't worth the extra cost for a trial run.

Head tube - 120mm 72deg

Top tube - 550mm

Seat tube - 700mm (c-t) 560 (c-c) 76deg

Chainstay - 410mm (rear facing dropouts)

BB drop - 68mm

That is one glorious piece of craftmanship!  The all black scheme looks menacing, if not thoroughly evil!

Spirit is an excellent choice, and the difference in weight to the Life set isn't worth crying over.    According to Columbus' specs your frame should weigh in at around the 1.1kg mark, which is right up there with even some of the best carbon frames.

So please tell, who built it for you?

I am not sure he is ready to disclose his name but if enough people were interested I am sure I could convince him to take this building more seriously.

As for the ride, having now had a chance to settle into the bike I can say that it is an awesome ride. Very solid with great power transfer and an a much quicker pickup than any alu frame I have ridden. Takes a bit of getting used to steel again but I will wring its neck tomorrow and get a good idea of how fast it really is.

My latest ride' date=' a custom built STEEL TT frame with carbon fork. Raised a few eyebrows with my choice of steel but those that have ridden a hand built steel frame will know the feel and power transfer that it gives. As for aerodynamics, its plenty aero enough as can be seen from the rear view.

[/quote']

Excellent choice!Thumbs%20Up

Big%20smile

MMmmm makes me want to cry...Not that I want to compare but one has to appreciate exquisite Bueaty....Like looking at Alecia Keys .......Broken%20Heart

"DTThumbs%20Up

Thanks for all the positive comments, I will be sure to pass them on to the person that really deserves them.