Safety and thefts on Eastern Cape roads

Catatonic_Joe

Okay, so the topic name might be a bit misleading. So my Mom and Dad went down to the Argus this year with some friend's (Faizal and his family) who had travelled from Ixopo in Kwa-Zulu Natal. And they came back with some really horrible stories of stuff that happened on the way to Cape Town. I'm posting this so that be can be aware and take care while in the vicinities I'm about to write about.

First, they were going through Umtata at 4pm on a Tuesday, they had a trailer with a bike rack on the lid hitched to their car. They reached a main intersection in the town and were stopped at a robot/4-way. Suddenly people from all around the intersection started shouting and hooting at them, Faizal thought he had done something wrong to cause this reaction, but he caught a glimpse of his rear view mirror and saw some guys trying to take his bikes of the trailer, they didn't give up even while he was moving. Faizal eventually got rid of them thankfully with all his bikes still attached to his trailer.

The second incident happened to Faizal's son in law, Yaseer, who was driving from Durban on Wednesday evening before the Argus weekend. At about 1 in the morning they were close to King Williams Town when they came to a section in the road where rocks were laid right across both lanes. They hit some rocks and unfortunately damaged one of the wheels quite badly so that car wasn't drivable anymore. Yaseer and his brother quickly made some calls to see if they could get some help.

The boys decided to wait in the car and wait for help as it was pitch dark outside. After waiting a few minutes, somebody had started throwing rocks at the vehicles. breaking all of the windows and damaging the vehicle even more. After the rocks, some guys came to the car and took all their valuables, including cycling equipment and clothing, bags, car keys, but not before beating Yaseer up with a rock on his face. Long story short (might be too late for this) but they got out okay.

Before anyone asks, yes this was reported to officials in both areas. Kings Williams town police said that this happens quite often in the area.

After our last trip through the old Transkei via the N2, we decided to never ever do it again. That was 2 years ago.  Half the traffic lights in Umtata don't work and the traffic in the little towns were chaotic.

The lawlessness in this country has gone way over the tipping point.

Edited by Moridin

Goodness Umthatha is dodgy as heck, a few years ago I was standing in one of the main streets talking someone when his car which was parked about 5m away suddenly started and pulled off. They were stealing it from right next to us!! fortunately they got stuck in traffic a little further and jumped out and ran into the taxi rank.

Its the wild west in that place.

Its the first Im hearing of something like that happening in KWT, that is pretty scary stuff.

title is very misleading, if you mean to highlight the N2 through transkei then it will be the same deal for pe okes doing sani2c but title wouldn't send them here.

we got stuff pilfered off our trailer coming back from expedition last year...in Mt Frere. okes are opportunistic and quick, guy in the back of our bakkie canopy didn't even see them undo a bag that was tied down.  heard from others since that it's not uncommon.

We went through Transkei  and umtata in December, and back again. towed a trailer, and had a bike on the roof. The first time was early morning around 6h00, and the other time was about 9h00. 

We heard horror stories from various people we met along the way, but had no problems at all going through there.

I never drive through Umtata, it's totally lawless. Rather go via the berg if you have to go through the Transkei, via Elliot, Maclear and Matat. It's not that further. Far more scenic too

Edited by deanbean

I used to live in the Transkei doing my Zuma year.

In that time we had our hospital ambulance stolen, a trailer full of wheelchairs stolen and were mugged while filling up with petrol. All on separate occasions, all while in Umtata.

The com serv physio who came the year after I left was stabbed in the chest and had an emergency thoracotomy (cut her chest open to stop the bleeding) in Nelson Mandela Academic hospital.

It was honestly the most dangerous place I have ever been to, I will avoid  it at all costs in the future.