Power meters - what do i need to know

it mid year bonus time, got a price today for Stages for my ultegra at R10950. I like gadgets and I use them, but if I do get this then I need to also get a new bike computer. Using polar RCX5 and its not ANT+ compatible so in a bit of a dilemma. What else can I use to view/analyze or is my only option to get a unit like a Garmin 510 or so ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you only care about weight and numbers, the 500 is perfect, I love mine. Otherwise maybe look at the new 520, seems better and cheaper than the 510 from what I I've read. BUT either way go Garmin!

• 3 weeks later...

it mid year bonus time, got a price today for Stages for my ultegra at R10950. I like gadgets and I use them, but if I do get this then I need to also get a new bike computer. Using polar RCX5 and its not ANT+ compatible so in a bit of a dilemma. What else can I use to view/analyze or is my only option to get a unit like a Garmin 510 or so ?

Also considering the stages but also stuck with a polar head unit. So far I've narrowed it down to the Garmin 510 or O-Synce Navi2Coach. My biggest gripe is battery life, I love the fact that the coin battery on my polar lasts for years and really not in the mood for having to charge the head before every ride. Don't care about GPS, strava and all that other nonsense. Anyone have any other suggestions?

The other questions is with regards to speed sensors. The stages give you power and cadence so what would be the best/smallest speed sensor you can mount on the chain stay (bladed fork)

Also considering the stages but also stuck with a polar head unit. So far I've narrowed it down to the Garmin 510 or O-Synce Navi2Coach. My biggest gripe is battery life, I love the fact that the coin battery on my polar lasts for years and really not in the mood for having to charge the head before every ride. Don't care about GPS, strava and all that other nonsense. Anyone have any other suggestions?

The other questions is with regards to speed sensors. The stages give you power and cadence so what would be the best/smallest speed sensor you can mount on the chain stay (bladed fork)

The battery issue is not really an issue. Once you plug it into your laptop to download info, it charges.

Usually my "download" time and subsequent browsing is more than enough to get it back to 100%. Also, it becomes just part of life, like our phones that we charge every night these days.

have to agree there. It's a non issue. Depending on the length of your rides, you will generally get at least three rides on a charge - and this is worst case in ,my experience.

Need some help.

Trying to check or upgrade firmware on my g3.

First time I'm doing it. But getting error message that device is not found? Following instructions as per the website!

Need some help.

Trying to check or upgrade firmware on my g3.

First time I'm doing it. But getting error message that device is not found? Following instructions as per the website!

Please get in contact with us via info(at)bicycle power.co.za and we will get your sorted.

Archived