• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying they may be willing to put more money into building and maintaining cycling trails? I know they have been putting a token amount towards cycling in the past. Let's hope they increase that in future!  :thumbup:

You seen the labour component paid for by Sanparks getting training. Unfortunately the fire put a hold on matters but we are still working towards securing a two year contract for trail construction and maintenance. The need and value was definitely conveyed to the right people...

You seen the labour component paid for by Sanparks getting training. Unfortunately the fire put a hold on matters but we are still working towards securing a two year contract for trail construction and maintenance. The need and value was definitely conveyed to the right people...

That team of woman builders would be absolutely FANTASTIC for the Tokai trails if we could have them regularly. :thumbup:

That team of woman builders would be absolutely FANTASTIC for the Tokai trails if we could have them regularly. :thumbup:

I love your spirit! Yes, the hardest working people and able to take direction with enthusiasm that I have met in a long time!

My favourite pics.

post-13110-0-05333400-1429168494_thumb.jpg

post-13110-0-45803400-1429168440_thumb.jpg

Not me - I'm recovering from one HELLUVA fever, and can't concentrate for more than 2 minutes at a time (I'm basically sitting at my desk with a bunch of pain killers and anti-inflams trying to get this pain in my bones and head to subside. Oooooh! Flowers!)

Deon has gone to one already, but I know there are others going. We need numbers. 

I'll be there from 3.30 but only to meet a few people and have a chat before. I have a few commitments handed to me last night. :(

I'll be there from 3.30 but only to meet a few people and have a chat before. I have a few commitments handed to me last night. :(

I will be there at 3h30. Short, greyish beard, receding hairline and blue chino trousers. I will wear my fire orange jersey if it cools down. Ian

I managed to spend an hour (I had to rush off and play Dads taxi) and I can tell you there were some very well informed people asking difficult questions. Mostly the answers were also very well informed.

What I took home from it, is that we (mountainbikers) are only a small part of SANParks' concern. Their 1st priority will always have to be conservation. They do realize that Table Mountain National Park is somewhat different from our other national parks because it is essentially an urban park. They realize that millions of us live all around the park and they have to allow us access. The bulk of their funds raised in the Table Mountain National park comes from Cape Point and Boulders. Activity Card and day tickets make up a small part.

Perhaps others who managed to attend can add some feedback also?

My first impression is that a lot of thought and work has gone into the development of the Management Plan. But, while it addresses things from a top level down, it has huge gaps in the "yet to be published" details. Some of these gaps harbour burning issues, cycling being one of them.

The park management seem receptive to ideas like a track from Signal Hill to Tokai for use by cyclists and horse riders. But they are very aware of the potential conflict between cyclists and other park users.

Other issues discussed including the effects of development on properties around the Park, control of alien vegetation, fire management and security.

There was a fairly lively discussion at the end of the meeting with input from representatives of cycling, horse riding, trail running and dog walking. A common theme amongst all of them was poor communication between TMNP and activity card holders. Poor administration of activity cards. Criticism of some of the charges for cards and activity day permits (eg as required for a "fun run" in the park). Criticism over the inconsistency of enforcement of card holder possession. Criticism of the lack of enforcement of park regulations on activity participants (eg among dog walkers).

It was pointed out by park officials that activity cards are a legal requirement as legislation requires participants to be registered before they may participate in an activity. The revenue from cards is modest in relation to that from the Cable Car, Cape Point, and Boulders. It is totally against SANPark policy to "ring fence" revenue from one source to be spent on that source again. So we will never see a direct link between money paid by cyclists on cards and spending on the construction and maintenance of trails.

It came out during the meeting that there are about 10 000 registered activity card holders and about "2 million recreation visits per year" (maybe some do not require holding a card). Clearly many more cards could be sold if the red tape was streamlined and the costs were affordable. There needs to be much better communication of why we need to hold cards and what the privileges and obligations of card holders are.

Closing comments from Paddy Gordon (Park Manager and chair of the meeting) was that there is no intention to ban cycling, horse riding, trail running or dog walking from the park (like Kruger). But rather that these activities must be done in a manner that does not impact on the Park and that the activities do not impact on each other. It was taken in a positive manner by virtually all present.

I left the meeting feeling positive but a lot of work is required regarding the management of all activities in the Park. They are awaiting our formal feedback. If you have strong feelings, now is the time to formally register and submit your comments. These are due by the 9th of May, which is only a few weeks time.

My first impression is that a lot of thought and work has gone into the development of the Management Plan. But, while it addresses things from a top level down, it has huge gaps in the "yet to be published" details. Some of these gaps harbour burning issues, cycling being one of them.

The park management seem receptive to ideas like a track from Signal Hill to Tokai for use by cyclists and horse riders. But they are very aware of the potential conflict between cyclists and other park users.

Other issues discussed including the effects of development on properties around the Park, control of alien vegetation, fire management and security.

There was a fairly lively discussion at the end of the meeting with input from representatives of cycling, horse riding, trail running and dog walking. A common theme amongst all of them was poor communication between TMNP and activity card holders. Poor administration of activity cards. Criticism of some of the charges for cards and activity day permits (eg as required for a "fun run" in the park). Criticism over the inconsistency of enforcement of card holder possession. Criticism of the lack of enforcement of park regulations on activity participants (eg among dog walkers).

It was pointed out by park officials that activity cards are a legal requirement as legislation requires participants to be registered before they may participate in an activity. The revenue from cards is modest in relation to that from the Cable Car, Cape Point, and Boulders. It is totally against SANPark policy to "ring fence" revenue from one source to be spent on that source again. So we will never see a direct link between money paid by cyclists on cards and spending on the construction and maintenance of trails.

It came out during the meeting that there are about 10 000 registered activity card holders and about "2 million recreation visits per year" (maybe some do not require holding a card). Clearly many more cards could be sold if the red tape was streamlined and the costs were affordable. There needs to be much better communication of why we need to hold cards and what the privileges and obligations of card holders are.

Closing comments from Paddy Gordon (Park Manager and chair of the meeting) was that there is no intention to ban cycling, horse riding, trail running or dog walking from the park (like Kruger). But rather that these activities must be done in a manner that does not impact on the Park and that the activities do not impact on each other. It was taken in a positive manner by virtually all present.

I left the meeting feeling positive but a lot of work is required regarding the management of all activities in the Park. They are awaiting our formal feedback. If you have strong feelings, now is the time to formally register and submit your comments. These are due by the 9th of May, which is only a few weeks time.

Tx Ian. Disappointed I couldn't be there but at the moment I can't string 2 minutes of thought together

"The park management seem receptive to ideas like a track from Signal Hill to Tokai for use by cyclists and horse riders. But they are very aware of the potential conflict between cyclists and other park users."

This!

If we cannot find some level of control amongst ourselves first, we will always be subject to the approval from ... wait for it... the other users.

The initiative must be shown by each group to offer ideas and plans for expansion and then be able to follow through with these plans to reach a mutually agreeable activity for each that does not impede on the other's recreation. Table Mountain National Park are here to manage their fist mandate being conservation in order to allow access to the public. Through this they fulfil two goals.

Add: Right now, MTB in comparison to the other activities is in a fairly good spot as the reps conform to all the requirements of the Park in being representative. All Parks required processes are being followed to establish a well-managed and sustainable network of trails. This need to conform started in 2011 when mountain bike numbers reached a critical level that would negatively affect the perception of MTB being a sustainable activity in a national park. The people in Parks who matter the most are well aware of our willingness to conform and there is a good understanding on both sides of what is required to make this a viable activity. We are making steady progress to achieving the goal of a better mountain bike facility and during this time are also working at bolstering the relationship between stakeholders.

Then there is the stuff that does not work in our favour and as you can imagine, no-one ever talks about the things that are going well.

It was clear last night that TMNP has not got the staff to police all of the recreational users. We have to police ourselves. While the Park is guilty of poor communication, the way forward is dependent on recreational users doing the "right thing".

We have to create an ethos where we, as cyclists, know what is expected of us and adopt an attitude that it is seriously "uncool" to do the "wrong thing" in a National Park.

Parks highest priority is to preserve the biodiversity on the mountain. That is the ultimate goal of all National Parks. It is the biodiversity on our mountain that resulted in it being awarded World Heritage status. This has nothing to do with revenue, the cable way, the tourists, the city or any of the residents. It just about letting the plants, and animals grow in the manner that they did before Jan van Riebeeck arrived and started collecting Penguin eggs.

We are not just having fun in an old pine plantation or annoying dog walkers at Emmerentia Dam. We are cycling in a National Park. The stakes are much higher and the rewards are Bucket List Special.

It was clear last night that TMNP has not got the staff to police all of the recreational users. We have to police ourselves. While the Park is guilty of poor communication, the way forward is dependent on recreational users doing the "right thing".

We have to create an ethos where we, as cyclists, know what is expected of us and adopt an attitude that it is seriously "uncool" to do the "wrong thing" in a National Park.

Parks highest priority is to preserve the biodiversity on the mountain. That is the ultimate goal of all National Parks. It is the biodiversity on our mountain that resulted in it being awarded World Heritage status. This has nothing to do with revenue, the cable way, the tourists, the city or any of the residents. It just about letting the plants, and animals grow in the manner that they did before Jan van Riebeeck arrived and started collecting Penguin eggs.

We are not just having fun in an old pine plantation or annoying dog walkers at Emmerentia Dam. We are cycling in a National Park. The stakes are much higher and the rewards are Bucket List Special.

I should report you just for bringing that logic to the hub. ;)

Archived