Thanks i24

To add some:

• I was pleasantly surprised by Paddy Gordon (give credit where credit is due)
  • I agree that clearly a lot of work went into the plan
  • I agree that the details still need to be thrashed out. Re. cycling: That is exactly the process that the MTB Forum is currently busy with.
  • The way I understand it is that this plan provides for each of the user groups to formulate detailed plans that will be approved by SANParks if it conforms with the bigger master plan.
  • I was surprised by a few things I have never considered - the historical heritage sites within the park for example - the kramats, ruins of old buildings, waterworks, military installations and the like. Conservation is about much more than just fauna & flora.  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Communication seemed to be the HUGE issue between stakeholders and Sanparks/ TMNP!

This was pointed out on numerous occasions and they genuinely seemed to realize the importance of keeping everyone in the loop.

The one point I had issue with was when they argued that we had appointed a forum to discuss plans with them and the promise was they would let cyclists know. When pushed they mentioned Tokai MTB, Table MTB and PPA as being the elected forums to send out information. That was it, no further effort from them as to communicate with affected parties regarding cycling.

It felt as though that was all they felt was necessary, let those 3 groups know and they will inform every single rider out there.

It was that attitude regarding communication that really let them down.

They have a huge database, 10 000 activity cards with people filling in e-mail addresses yet there were almost more SANPARKS employees there than stakeholders.

Terrible communication unfortunately.

Besides that, as mentioned before I was really surprised at the magnitude of what we have on our doorstep and the effort that goes into the multitude of aspects these guys have to deal with.

They definitely do an amazing job and really catch a lot more flack than praise I think.

...........They definitely do an amazing job and really catch a lot more flack than praise I think.

They have so many very different groups they must accommodate within the bigger framework of conservation, it is no wonder that they catch so much flack. I believe in giving them stick when they mess up, but also to give them credit for when they get things right. They DO get a lot right. 

Communication seemed to be the HUGE issue between stakeholders and Sanparks/ TMNP!...........

Agreed, Parks can communicate a lot better internally as well as to the outside world.

I do understand their insistence on dealing with one body for each user group though. It is just so much easier for them than to try and talk to many individuals, each with his own agenda. This way, they will listen to the Mountain Bike Forum and give feedback to them, knowing that they are legitimate representatives of the cycling community. From there info should be spread to mountainbikers. More reason to form a united front and to be involved.

(Having said all this though, I find that most people are uninformed, mainly because they go through life with closed eyes, ears and minds. I cannot tell you how many times people have complained to me that they don't know what is going on in Tokai, but when asked whether they have just Googled it, they say no. If they do, they will get to The Hub, Tokai Mtb, Facebook, Twitter and lots of info in two ticks. They somehow want noticeboards put up for everything, and then they don't even know what the existing boards say! Their e-mails get shunted to file13. The biggest stumble block to communication is people.  :(

• 3 weeks later...

If you are thinking of submitting formal written comments on the Draft Management Plan for Table Mountain National Park, the closing date is Saturday (9 May).

I am working on some feedback and will post a draft version here for comments soon.

After another late night...

Attached is a draft of my submission to the public comments on the Draft TMNP Management Plan. Like the TMNP Management Plan, my submission is quite long winded and not totally cycling specific. But I hope it helps nudge Park Management towards a more co-operative attitude towards cycling.

I hope other cyclists are also preparing some feedback, maybe my draft will give you some ideas. I believe TokaiMTB are also working on a submission. If you wish to make a contribution, then do it in the next 3 days. If you miss the deadline you will not get another chance for the next 5 years!

submission.pdf

There are some very good points you raise there and your efforts in compiling your submission are fantastic and appreciated.

Extremely well laid out i24. El Capitan, Marko35s & Deon is there no way you guys could do something similar as the Tokai committee and getting the signatures of the general Tokai users showing our support for you to interact with Parks on our behalf? Or would that require creating a formal club with membership?

Extremely well laid out i24. El Capitan, Marko35s & Deon is there no way you guys could do something similar as the Tokai committee and getting the signatures of the general Tokai users showing our support for you to interact with Parks on our behalf? Or would that require creating a formal club with membership?

Literally 30 minutes ago we completed final edits on an extremely detailed, formal and professional concept plan. Gavin Bell has welcomed our approach and is arranging a management team from TMNP to meet with us next week for a formal hand over and discussion.

Literally 30 minutes ago we completed final edits on an extremely detailed, formal and professional concept plan. Gavin Bell has welcomed our approach and is arranging a management team from TMNP to meet with us next week for a formal hand over and discussion.

Ok that sounds awesome. Please let us know the outcome of the meeting.

Ok that sounds awesome. Please let us know the outcome of the meeting.

Busy setting up a public presentation, specifically for mountainbikers, with SANParks within the next week or two for feedback on our presentation and updates on the rehabilitation of Tokai.

Dates and Times will be confirmed via TokaiMTB Twitter and Facebook pages.

In the meantime we will provide feedback after we submit the document.

Busy setting up a public presentation, specifically for mountainbikers, with SANParks within the next week or two for feedback on our presentation and updates on the rehabilitation of Tokai.

Dates and Times will be confirmed via TokaiMTB Twitter and Facebook pages.

In the meantime we will provide feedback after we submit the document.

Darn would love to be at the presentation involving Parks but out working offshore outside Abidjan until end June earliest.

Glad you guys are making such an effort to keep communicating with us and keeping us informed. Hope your meeting goes well.

Darn would love to be at the presentation involving Parks but out working offshore outside Abidjan until end June earliest.

Glad you guys are making such an effort to keep communicating with us and keeping us informed. Hope your meeting goes well.

Glad to be of help.

Up until now there has been a lot going on in the background but not much to report back with but over the next few weeks that should be changing.

After another late night...............

I am officially impressed with your submission! :clap:  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

"The park management seem receptive to ideas like a track from Signal Hill to Tokai for use by cyclists and horse riders. But they are very aware of the potential conflict between cyclists and other park users."

This!

If we cannot find some level of control amongst ourselves first, we will always be subject to the approval from ... wait for it... the other users.

The initiative must be shown by each group to offer ideas and plans for expansion and then be able to follow through with these plans to reach a mutually agreeable activity for each that does not impede on the other's recreation. Table Mountain National Park are here to manage their fist mandate being conservation in order to allow access to the public. Through this they fulfil two goals.

Add: Right now, MTB in comparison to the other activities is in a fairly good spot as the reps conform to all the requirements of the Park in being representative. All Parks required processes are being followed to establish a well-managed and sustainable network of trails. This need to conform started in 2011 when mountain bike numbers reached a critical level that would negatively affect the perception of MTB being a sustainable activity in a national park. The people in Parks who matter the most are well aware of our willingness to conform and there is a good understanding on both sides of what is required to make this a viable activity. We are making steady progress to achieving the goal of a better mountain bike facility and during this time are also working at bolstering the relationship between stakeholders.

Then there is the stuff that does not work in our favour and as you can imagine, no-one ever talks about the things that are going well.

Hi Deon

Has there been any progress in opening up the greenbelt for riding? Getting tired of dirty looks form dog walkers.

Archived