Trail Daze: Vineyard Haze at Bottelary Hills

ewaldsadie

As part of the Winelands region of South Africa, the greater Stellenbosch area features an abundance of trails, one of which is the Bottelary Hills trails network. Covering a total of 76km, these trails offer scenic beauty and incredible views of the winelands, Table Mountain and False Bay, and combines a variety of different elements to form a well rounded MTB destination. The network can be accessed from 7 different starting points, all of which sell day passes and something to eat or drink, and it also happens to be a few hundred meters from my doorstep.

Click here to view the article

What is safety like on these trails?

Is it safe to ride alone?

One of the few places where I'm comfortable if my wife ride on her own.

Where is the best point of entry? I live in Die Boord and would like to ride from home if possible

these are my home trails. ride there from my doorstep.

We are so spoilt. loving the new routes that keep getting added

Where is the best point of entry? I live in Die Boord and would like to ride from home if possible

Not quite sure, but maybe Overgaauw

From Die Boord, closest would be Asara Wine Estate, day permits available from Asara hotel reception.

Rode there a few weeks back.  Loads of fun and great views.  

Tip - Top up on sealant there are bucket loads of devil thorns.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to ride solo in Tokai where the security is pretty good (well at least I used to feel safe there despite a couple of bike-jacks). How's the security on these trails? After these photos, I am seriously thinking about hitting these trails but again, I tend to ride solo so security is important. Anyone?

I tend to ride solo in Tokai where the security is pretty good (well at least I used to feel safe there despite a couple of bike-jacks). How's the security on these trails? After these photos, I am seriously thinking about hitting these trails but again, I tend to ride solo so security is important. Anyone?

No incidents since we opened the route in 2011.  Lots of solo riders. 

No incidents since we opened the route in 2011.  Lots of solo riders.

Sweet! Hitting these next weekend! Thank you for the info!