Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

so now it's Ironman african champs.... are there any other full ironman events on the continent?

Not yet.

Each continent has a race that is the continental champs. So they couldn't really leave Africa out. The good part is that there are more Kona slots for those at the front end of the field.

That in turn drives tourism. I heard that there were 700 foreign athletes this year. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not yet.

Each continent has a race that is the continental champs. So they couldn't really leave Africa out. The good part is that there are more Kona slots for those at the front end of the field.

That in turn drives tourism. I heard that there were 700 foreign athletes this year. 

It will most probably cover EMEA - but Challenge events are ruling in the middle east and it is too freaken hot for a full distance.

PE is a fantastic place for it. The road surface makes it tougher - I heard you can adjust your wheel width? This is Africa. Kona (I hear) is not exactly a walk in the park. Another one on the continent would be great though, but to find a spot....and Europe is just as easy to get to (if not easier) to race. 

I honestly think the race director makes the event even more special, specifically in a difficult place like (PE) Africa where you most probably have to work twice as hard to put together a decent event. Saw the IM on TV. The guy is legend - hugging crying woman. Maybe I will cry next year.... :whistling:

I am definitely in. Cant wait. :thumbup:

Will Represent the Small Border Town ha ha ha :ph34r:  :whistling:

I think they should have another long distant event at Clarens!  Who says the distances need to be exact?  Abu Dhabi Tri was 2.5km swim, 200km bike and 20km run.

Most non-IM races are in any case not the exact distances.

The guy is legend - hugging crying woman. Maybe I will cry next year.... :whistling:

He made them cry in the first place!

Paul is an exceptional Race Director.

I honestly think the race director makes the event even more special, specifically in a difficult place like (PE) Africa where you most probably have to work twice as hard to put together a decent event. Saw the IM on TV. The guy is legend - hugging crying woman. Maybe I will cry next year.... :whistling:

hehe,,,,Jodi swallow hugged this crying man....I would never of hugged me... I think she is far prettier than Paul :)

Not yet.

Yebo.... while cycling I hooked up with a number of my fellow countrymen (Belgians and no not the pro's ;) ) and had a good discussion...they were here to complete IM, and safari. Also I suspect a number of foreigners were here for Kona Slots and looking at the age group results a lot were won by foreigners

hehe,,,,Jodi swallow hugged this crying man....I would never of hugged me... I think she is far prettier than Paul :)

Me too.....she's a legend

Me too.....she's a legend

could be true, but I'm a girl so I see things differently.  :D Luckily we do not all like the same - enough hugs for everyone!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So , 6 months to go how is everyone's training coming along?

I analysed my stats from May thru September 2014 compared to the same period in 2015. couple of interesting aspects:

1. I am doing about 20% more training in each discipline than I did in 2014. I am also recovering a lot easier and better now than then. This bodes well for 10 April.

2. My running is poor and remains poor. My shuffle will remain such.

3. My swimming remains good. I am making very small gains in this.

4. My cycling is coming on in leaps an bounds so will focus on cycling a lot over the next 6 months as I believe the best gains I can make will be on the bike.

I average around 10 hours a week, last week was a big week due to the public holiday and clocked 15 hours. I have also started moving more...like walking kid to school or cycling to gym to swim etc...no big shakes and I don't record these as exercise times.

good luck to all, it promises to be a great event and the wind will be westerly according to www.itwontbeeasterly.com

Booked plane tickets to PE  :eek:

Now for race entry. :unsure:

Anyone know if there has ever been a year in PE where wetsuits were not permitted due to water being too warm?  Thanks

Booked plane tickets to PE  :eek:

Now for race entry. :unsure:

Anyone know if there has ever been a year in PE where wetsuits were not permitted due to water being too warm?  Thanks

Very unlikely for us amateurs... I would not worry about this.

So , 6 months to go how is everyone's training coming along?

I analysed my stats from May thru September 2014 compared to the same period in 2015. couple of interesting aspects:

1. I am doing about 20% more training in each discipline than I did in 2014. I am also recovering a lot easier and better now than then. This bodes well for 10 April.

2. My running is poor and remains poor. My shuffle will remain such.

3. My swimming remains good. I am making very small gains in this.

4. My cycling is coming on in leaps an bounds so will focus on cycling a lot over the next 6 months as I believe the best gains I can make will be on the bike.

I average around 10 hours a week, last week was a big week due to the public holiday and clocked 15 hours. I have also started moving more...like walking kid to school or cycling to gym to swim etc...no big shakes and I don't record these as exercise times.

good luck to all, it promises to be a great event and the wind will be westerly according to www.itwontbeeasterly.com

Also Booked Accom and Flight...then deep breath wait for Bonus-First spend is the Entry, I miss the good old specsaver days, don't think Standard  Wank will ever be as kind to us as Specsavers.

Anycase Training is going well-also a crap runner so a lot of time on running and Biking, the swim is easy to pick up and to bust a gut for a marginal gain, would rather spend it on the bike. Feel that the base is getting there. Not much on hours done but rather on the type of workout, will start counting hours in November-now just having fun. TP has me around 10+ hours the last 3 weeks and just building the Volume slowly.

Love the fact that it is summer-nothing like banking an early morning session.      

So it is on my birthday AGAIN....so many times before too...I wonder if it is a sign that I should actually consider to do it one day..

Archived