Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

Good luck all....l be the guy at the back of the course. Hoping for a non wetsuit swim but if the easterly is blowing that typically brings blue bottles and well then I will wear a wetsuit.

Really looking forward to it this year, feel better prepared than 2015 although time wise it may end up similar, who knows. Part of the allure of the sport, the unknown I spose.

Regarding medicine, haha , I am doing that too..eating fruit, taking vitamin C etc in an effort to not get ill. sheer madness.

Edit: Ran a short run yesterday (7kays), today I will cycle my mountain bike in the suburb for an hour and tomorrow another short run. Thursday drive down and rest. Friday swim across the bay, a short run and will take a ride to grass roofs. Rest Saturday, watch tv (maybe go to the superrugby match) and sleep.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remind me which way do we want the wind to blow / not blow?

Also guys say predictions are for big swells - 2.5m?

I do not know what this means if anythinh

Its always windy in PE and its mostly east which is a pain coming back.

Bigger swell is an annoyance heading out but quite fun coming back in. Conditions can always be pretty hectic which is why its good to train in the worst weather you can find, helps if its a heavy day weather wise.

Good luck all.. serious FOMO here, hope you guys have a great race whatever time you do!!

Looking forward to the stories and feedback... will definitely be there next year!!

been following this with great interest.  Good luck to all competing and have a great day out!!

How about all posting your guestimated time and race strategy assuming average conditions.

If I can break 13 hours I'll be over the moon. I wasn't blessed with any fast twitch fibers so my strategy is kinda limited to an average run and bike. So I'm thinking 6.5 hour bike and 4h45 run to get me there or thereabouts. I will also refrain from braai ing in transition. My Achilles heel in the past.  :P   

Aiming for 13 hrs.

Will start slow on swim and try to get into a rythm. Gel halfway. Cycle - aiming for 30kmh - need to save fuel for the run. Eat and stock up on energy on the the cycle. On the run - start slow, very slow and build up from there.

Nice, how about posting your race bikes please!!

Sadly my road bike has to double as a tri-bike as well, so not as spiffy as the full on TT bikes. Next year I will invest in something a bit more appropriate. :P  

post-21619-0-25805800-1459868174_thumb.jpg

Hence I'm riding with 25's this year. And at 2 bar. :D

I followed DaveM's advice and fitted 28s: what a difference! Make the normal rough southern loop here by us feel like butter.

I followed DaveM's advice and fitted 28s: what a difference! Make the normal rough southern loop here by us feel like butter.

Was considering using the Maxxis Ardent's from my mtbike. ;) In hindsight I should have gone for the 28's as well. But even the 25's feel a lot softer. Oh well, we live and learn. There's always next year!

Archived