Trek - Avelance - Mongoose

jyzelle

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mampara that blue is not so bad..the alpine/silverback looks way better in real life than on the website...If my wife had a choice i'm sure she would have picked a pink one..can you imagine how gay it would make me look if we cycle together??LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Id like to know what your thaughts are on the Trek 3700 MTB' date=' Avelanche AX250 MTB and Mongoose Rockdale AiX MTB?

My budget doesnt cater for a R11 000 bike, therefore, Im looking at alternative higher - entry level bikes. (R1500 - R3000 max), because as a newbie, I still need to get some safety accesories etc.

Thanks for your speedy reply.
[/quote']

jyzelle,

from those chocies/brands I am assuming you have been shopping at Sportsmans Warehouse.... Do what the other guys have said and visit a LBS.. stay away from department stores bikes...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Well Im in the same boat as jyzelle. Im not looking at any serious riding, just for fun on the trails that run through emmarentia and delta park. Im sure most of you guys know which trail it is, think it runs along the Braamfontien spruit.

Anyways...Im looking at the same bikes. Leaning towards the Mongoose at this piont, unless someone can tell me if the Trek 3700 is a better buy? Dont really want to go higher than R2500...so ja, looking at these.

PS: Sorry for the semi hijack ;)

Ok, so did some research myself. Didnt want to wait around. From what I have read...the cheaper models of Mongoose, their frames are not that strong. Saw some reports of cracks etc. So Mongoose for me is out. Didnt look at Avalanche. Looked at the Trek and saw 2 reviews. They say its a good bike for the road and trails which is what Im looking for (trails). Its also a comfy bike to ride and is sturdy. So Im sold.

Im going for the Trek 3700....and will be going to CycleLab to purchase it. Better to deal with the pros! :) Think its R2500 at CycleLab ;) Waiting for a reply

Aaah CrazyFig, it all starts out with 'just a simple affordable bike to ride along the spruit with' (oh incidently the place u're talking about riding along is known to pretty much every mountain biker in gauteng as 'The Spruit'). If the bug bites you as i'm sure it will, and you find yourself booking weekends away in remote locations with the odd mtb race/event thrown in, the cheapy will soon be shelved for something better/more expensive. In the meantime, check out the latest issue of Bicycling magazine (page 80) for a review on some entry level bikes...

Have also seen the review in Bicycling,interesting reading.Seems the Silverback scores high followed by the mongoose.Totally agree with MTBaaisikilist it is just a matter of time and this conversation will be repeated.

I started on a Mongoose Rockadile and it lasted about 6 months before I killed the bearings in the wheels and BB and decided to pass it on to my sister-in-law who still has it as she does not ride it!  Not the most durable bike.

Bought myself a GT Avalanche 1.0 and still have it three years later!  Not the lightest, but bomb-proof and lots of fun.  Can't go wrong with the GT.  It cost me R4500 though, so I would also suggest you  lift your budget ever so slightly.  You won't regret it.

Hiya all! Cool...thanks for all the input. Gonna grab the magazine and take a look. Unfortuntaley CycleLab are out of stock of the Trek 3700. But gonna read the article first and try mak an informed decision...will then look at other bicycle shops for a MTB then.

My wife and I are already thinking about doing the Subaru MTB race next year (the 3 day one - saw it on Supersport....dont know much about it but looks amazing!!!!) Big%20smile
CrazyFig2008-05-06 00:54:41

Eish. If those are the types of rides you're looking at taking part in, i'd strongly recommend upping your budget a bit. 3 days in the saddle on an entry level bike like the trek you're looking at will have you hating your new sport in no time. Maybe not the first time, but when it starts falling apart u'll regret having to spend the money twice... An entry level bike is better suited to riding around the neighborhood now n again.

Eish. If those are the types of rides you're looking at taking part in' date=' i'd strongly recommend upping your budget a bit. 3 days in the saddle on an entry level bike like the trek you're looking at will have you hating your new sport in no time. Maybe not the first time, but when it starts falling apart u'll regret having to spend the money twice... An entry level bike is better suited to riding around the neighborhood now n again.[/quote']

A few years back 2 Kenyans obtained Cape Epic top 10 finish on standard Trek 4500.

A mate of mine rode the second Epic on a GT Avalanche 1.0.  It was so standard the wheels still had plastic reflectors in the spokes!  He took lots of flak for it, BUT he finished!

A mate of mine rode the second Epic on a GT Avalanche 1.0.  It was so standard the wheels still had plastic reflectors in the spokes!  He took lots of flak for it' date=' BUT he finished![/quote']

so that just proves you dont need a fancy bike to do the epic?

No, you can even do it on a singlespeed or bike without shocks, it's all been done, even a guy with one leg can do it with the proper training. That said, it's going to be a WHOLE lot more fun on a proper bike with shocks and two legs.Wink