MTB for Noobs

davetapson

Hi

Mates of mine are looking to buy entry level MTB's to give mtb a go.

Cyclelab came up with http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/tahoe-29-15-disc for R10k.

They asked my advice and I said rather buy a real cheapie, see if you like it, and if so, then drop some dosh on a reasonable bike - Giant Anthem or the like.

So the the alternative offered was Fuji Nevada plus a bunch of kit for R7k or a Trek Marlin 5 for R5k.

Anybody got their finger on the pulse for best value for money entry mtb?

I'd actually go with the R10k bike (or better still a R10k 2nd hand bike). A R5k bike will be no fun and they will never get hooked.

used not abused EX hubber classifieds super special. For 10k gonna get a lot of bike.

also to consider what kind of mtb they wanna do... will they need a dually or a ht be fine???

My first MTB (3 years ago) was a 5k bike... It was a GT Avalanche 1.0... Amazing bike and really did the job, however you do continually want to upgrade and if they do get hooked they will instantly regret their decision and want that 10k bike. 

My first MTB (3 years ago) was a 5k bike... It was a GT Avalanche 1.0... Amazing bike and really did the job, however you do continually want to upgrade and if they do get hooked they will instantly regret their decision and want that 10k bike.

If they buy the R10k bike, they will still want to upgrade and will want a R20k bike.

My first mtb was a R5k silverback phoenix (26" hardtail) with the basics; like hydrolic brakes and entry level fork. I got hooked, but wasn't prepared to spend more money until I knew cycling/training will become a part of my lifestyle. So, after a year of continous training / cycling I bought my first propper bike (Giant Anthem X29er). 5 years later and I'm on my 4th bike. My advice is... get the R5k bike - maybe 2nd hand. As you get hooked you will be prepared to spend more money on cycling and less on take-out food and other stuff. Then you'll buy a better bike. If you don't get hooked, then you've spend the least amount possible on a 'reasonable bike'.

I started off on a Fuji Tahoe 1.0 and it was a brilliant bike! Did mukti stages on it too, not a hiccup!

Go for it, you will have way more of a good time on a bike you want than on a R5k thing.

I always say, buy the thing you want! Then you will end up using it!

Define the type of riding they are most likely to do.

Best value for a 1st bike is usually 2nd hand.

More likely to keep it's value. So you don't loose much when you upgrade.

Cheap new = junk = no fun and becomes expensive in repairs.

Fuji looks ok - specs not bad.

10k can get a lot of 2nd hand bike.

Edited by porqui

Another option to try:

Most trails around PTA and JHB (Not sure of your area) have rentals. So that way they can try it out a few times and see if they enjoy it before spending big bucks on a bike that will waste away sad and alone in the garage gathering dust instead of km's.

I know PWC bike park (to show them fun technical) and Big Red Barn have decent bikes to rent.

Another option to try:

Most trails around PTA and JHB (Not sure of your area) have rentals. So that way they can try it out a few times and see if they enjoy it before spending big bucks on a bike that will waste away sad and alone in the garage gathering dust instead of km's.

I know PWC bike park (to show them fun technical) and Big Red Barn have decent bikes to rent.

Ye, we are going to do this at Big Red Barn.

Wifey had just gotten in cycling so we are making BRB our standard Sunday haunt. My daughters now want to ride too, but they will use rentals until I can see the bug has bitten. Don't want to go buying more bikes only to have to rust away.

Ye, we are going to do this at Big Red Barn.

Wifey had just gotten in cycling so we are making BRB our standard Sunday haunt. My daughters now want to ride too, but they will use rentals until I can see the bug has bitten. Don't want to go buying more bikes only to have to rust away.

Ah... Good ol BRB, I saw some upgrades happening there and saw on the book of faces some video... that place just gets better and better