FAT Bike - WTF?!

skipperw

I'm sure it'll sell in time. Make sure your ad goes up again after payday.

Fad or not, judging by the amount of expensive fatties I've seeon on trails, there's bound to be someone that wants it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat is so last year, 2015 is the year of 27.5+ and 29+

Huh? 29+ has been around a while, Surly Krampus is on its second iteration. Just been waiting for the tyre manufacturers to catch up

Fatbikes are a ton of fun. but you have to be prepared to invest in a decent one. The heavier names mentioned here handle like a steam train.

The best of both worlds is a fatbike plus a 29er or 27.5+ wheelset with the same hubs. One bike but 3 personalities...Fatbike, 29HT, 27.5+HT.....just with the swop of a wheelset.

With regards pumping them.....yes it is a large volume but at much lower pressure. So it is not much more work than pumping a 29er tyre.

Riding them tubeless is the secret to almost zero punctures.

High performance fatbikes will start taking off as soon as there are more races with a fatbike category.

Edited by StealthCarbon

27.5+ is all the rage now. Fat bikes are so last season. For the guys who are too scared to go full fat, but also want to show the boys he's got cash to burn on toys. 

Why would they need their own category?

Because, although Mannie Haymans and some other accomplished mountain bikers have done races on fat bikes and did not to badly, these have been mostly already talented individuals.   The truth is the same person  would do the normal SA race faster with a 29er or 27.5 than the same race on a fat bike. Mr. Sauser could also race a fat bike and do very OK but he will certainly  not win any Epics on one.

Having there own  "category" would then make it OK to trudge along in the name of fun. 

Don't get me wrong, Fat bikes are fun, just like tractor or caravan racing.  :devil:

(PS. If it is in the snow or on the beach, then I'll be 1st in line for a fat bike.)

Edited by IH8MUD