Back Pain

Been experiencing back pain the last two months or so.

No pain at all when riding or during the day but at night after 4-5 hours sleep I wake up with hectic back pain, usually between my shoulder blades going down to the middle of my back.

Feels like its in spasm and hard to take deep breaths

I then need to get up and move around for 15 - 20 minutes before it gets better

Anyone else experienced this?

Been experiencing back pain the last two months or so.

No pain at all when riding or during the day but at night after 4-5 hours sleep I wake up with hectic back pain, usually between my shoulder blades going down to the middle of my back.

Feels like its in spasm and hard to take deep breaths

I then need to get up and move around for 15 - 20 minutes before it gets better

Anyone else experienced this?

How old is your matress?

How stressed are you at work?

How old is your matress?

How stressed are you at work?

Mattress is about 5 years old now.

Definitely more stressed than last year

Mattress is about 5 years old now.

Definitely more stressed than last year

So you mean it's more like 10 years old... :) Swap it out for new - change your pillow, and manage your stress better - and got some core work done too - see how it goes - you know my number - use it.

I thought the standard answer for all back pain was 'core work'?

Core work is important to prevent and minimise back pain - BUT - you have to eliminate the causative factor/s first (assuming that a weak core is not causative - which it can be)

Between the shoulder blades pain is not normally caused by a weak core - usually sustained bad posture and/or stress - so first steps must be to eliminate the easy and obvious things that one can eliminate, and work forward.

Core work is important to prevent and minimise back pain - BUT - you have to eliminate the causative factor/s first (assuming that a weak core is not causative - which it can be)

Between the shoulder blades pain is not normally caused by a weak core - usually sustained bad posture and/or stress - so first steps must be to eliminate the easy and obvious things that one can eliminate, and work forward.

100% - I suppose the standard core work answer mostly comes from not medically trained people ......

100% - I suppose the standard core work answer mostly comes from not medically trained people ......

The standard medical answer would be - go for an mri..... :)

My view is that a strong core will deal with a lot of middle aged aches and pains - as will wearing a belt looser...

Try it - make your belt one or two notches tighter for a day and see how your lower back feels at the end of the day...

Not going to argue with anything V12 says, but I would like to relate a pillow experience, which V12 does mention.

Three years back was getting a similar sounding pain. Spasm between shoulder blades and so on. Now I'm a bit slow when it comes to body feedback, for example I only work out I'm over heating when I actually pass out on the bike, so it took a while for me to figure out I was waking up with this pain but not going to bed with it. Went out and spent a fair amount of money on a memory foam pillow from a reputable company.

Problem solved. I was actually annoyed with myself over how simple the solution was and how much pain I had to endure before I fixed it.

On the core issue, I previously had lower back issues but with core exercises It was sorted out.

Will definitely work on it a bit more but the pillow issue might also be worth looking into.

Went away Easter Weekend and didnt have any pain the three nights/mornings

I thought the standard answer for all back pain was 'core work'?

And a professional set up... :whistling:

Ei escapee this thing with back pain from sleeping is not nice, a new or correct mattress goes a long way to help. If you shop for a new mattress ask if you can try some demo models for awhile at home before buying, just to make sure you get one that does the trick otherwise it can be a gamble$$

Edit: I've heard that stretching your stomach muscles can help, especially if you sit a lot

http://www.livestrong.com/article/356694-abdominal-muscle-stretches/

Archived