Just can't find the right saddle, ladies please help!

Baked

Fed up with not finding the right saddle. Last year I got a Specialized Lithia for my bike, which worked okay-ish for a while, and only started chewing my bottom bits on rides longer than 40km. It was better that anything I had up to that point. 

But after a couple of 1000kms I got gatvol of constantly having chafed bits and pieces, and lumps and bruises down south. Thus decided to put a neat saddle on my new bike - which i got last week - from the start. So I started out with a Selle Italia Diva Flow. Which is a nice hard saddle, compared to the lots of padding the Lithia has. I didn't even feel that I had parts other that my butt. But the problem was, at 135mm it was way too narrow, my seating bones were practically hanging over both sides, as I need at least 155mm width. (According to the measurements taken when I got the Spezialized Lithia).

So I took it back, and got the Diva Gel Flow. Which has great reviews all over the net. It is wider, but I don't feel any difference between it and my Lithia. After two rides I am not impressed at all. Still feels like I am sitting not on my bum, but rather on everything in front of my bum. 

Can anyone relate, and perhaps suggest THE saddle-answer to my problem? I am going saddle shopping on Friday again.

I know I dont qualify as a male but...

Fizik Vesta Women Saddle (k:ium)????

Looks the part...

post-51814-0-71226200-1429781200_thumb.jpg

A centrally depressed center and Twin flex shape has been designed specifically for the female body for maximum pressure relief and chafe free pedaling. A wider front section offers more stability and increased comfort in forward positions

• Length: 270 mm
  • Width: 150 mm
  • Cover Material: Microtex
  • Rail Material: K:ium
  • Shell Material: Nylon/Carbon
  • ICS Compatible: Yes

@ over R2000 it is not cheap but everything they say makes sense... not sure about the width - might be narrow but at least 150mm

Lots and lots of trial and error.

Have spent a fortune on saddles, including spez and sella italia but my OH will only ride the RavX ladies saddle (cheap and nasty looking) and only the old model, which is no longer in production.

Ended up getting one of hers recovered by Velobrian it was so grotty looking.

Sometimes expensive is just not best.

Hi Beanszz ,

My wife started riding tandem with me in Oct last year .

We have tried various saddles , but none were lady specific .

In Feb this year we went to Specialized , and she was measured for a 143mm saddle .

We bought the Lithia . Like you , she was ok for about 40-50km rides , however on longer rides she really became uncomfortable .

About 3 weeks ago we went and changed it for a Lithia 155mm and she is 100% happier .

I also tilted the front of the saddle down ever so slightly , as opposed to parallel .

It has taken a while , and lots of trial and error to get her comfortable .

If you haven't already , try tilting the saddle slightly down .

Hope this helps a little . 

Might not be the saddle if nothing works,

double check your set-up.

Also maybe try different bibs,

i know this affects me on longer rides.

Might be leaning a bit too far forward.

I (as a lady) would also suggest that you look at the set-up as well as the saddle.  If you are not sitting right, there will be pressure in the wrong places.  I also found that adjusting your position on long rides also helps and think that if you are set up right, shifting your weight around slightly is easier.

I agree with MTB smurf especially as you say you don't feel like you are sitting on your bum.

The saddle might be too far back, or you could move the nose slightly down.

Also shorts are very important.  I had Assos shorts (expensive) and was having issues.  Since my Assos shorts got holes, I bought new shorts, but went with Specialized as assos was way too expensive.  Since then have had no issues.   All this time I thought it was the saddle.

I had the same problem, ended up with the specialized ruby on the road bike and the specialized phenom on the mtb.  Both hard saddles.  The extra padding that ladies specific saddles generally have hinders the sit bones with connecting and sticking to one place.  I went through about 6 different saddles before coming right.

And get your sit bones measured again, just to make sure.

I had the same problem, ended up with the specialized ruby on the road bike and the specialized phenom on the mtb.  Both hard saddles.  The extra padding that ladies specific saddles generally have hinders the sit bones with connecting and sticking to one place.  I went through about 6 different saddles before coming right.

And get your sit bones measured again, just to make sure.

Didn't really think that much yet about getting a not-women's-specific saddle, because most don't have that much of a cut-out. My husband rides on a phenom, and loves it, maybe I should give it a try too.

My wife rides with the Spez Jett 143mm. Finds it very comfy. It is a firm saddle, but she has no issues. Maybe try a saddle with a different padding too. Firmer is almost always better as you sit on the sitbones and don't sink into the saddle.

So I ended up getting the Specialized Ruby, awesome saddle! First day I had it, I went for a nice 100km on the not-so-smooth gravel. And bliss! No chafing, no sore soft tissue, nothing! Only problem is, I couldn't get a black one, now my all black bike sports a white saddle which kind of looks like a bandage on it!