Future of DH in SA

ThePilot

Its a numbers game...is what it is. Everyone makes very good points wrt why DH doesn't seem to gain traction in sunny SA. The "ons en hulle" syndrome doesn't help either, you know

Marathon / XC okes thinking DH lads are tjops and vica versa. I say have more events that slowly introduces gnarlier stuff like the sabi events with marathon day / XC day / enduro day. Dont think we will change the mindset of the masses by looking down on them. Just saying

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day "ons en hulle" (as Rouxtjie puts it) we all ride the same trails.  What goes up must come down.  So maybe because I wear lycra I'm an "ons" and when I get a pair of lumo baggies and a full face helmet I'll be a "hulle". 

My point....if you look past the fashion and the social cliques, many of the mtbers here are just as good as the "downhillers".  Just go ride your bike.

The only difference is I am fit enough to ride my bike uphill and don't need a shuttle :ph34r:

At the end of the day "ons en hulle" (as Rouxtjie puts it) we all ride the same trails.  What goes up must come down.  So maybe because I wear lycra I'm an "ons" and when I get a pair of lumo baggies and a full face helmet I'll be a "hulle". 

My point....if you look past the fashion and the social cliques, many of the mtbers here are just as good as the "downhillers".  Just go ride your bike.

The only difference is I am fit enough to ride my bike uphill and don't need a shuttle :ph34r:

I am sure I can arrange a downhill bike for you to ride up to the top of a DH track, then you should ride the DH track. Rinse and repeat. Lets see how many runs you can do before begging for a shuttle.  :thumbup:

Its a numbers game...is what it is. Everyone makes very good points wrt why DH doesn't seem to gain traction in sunny SA. The "ons en hulle" syndrome doesn't help either, you know

Marathon / XC okes thinking DH lads are tjops and vica versa. I say have more events that slowly introduces gnarlier stuff like the sabi events with marathon day / XC day / enduro day. Dont think we will change the mindset of the masses by looking down on them. Just saying

This is what I will be turning my attention to in the near future. A Festival type event that includes a half marathon, XC, Enduro and a "mini" DH complete with camping, braai's, some music, airbag/foam pit and possibly even a pump track. A place where lycra and baggies can all just be friends and get along for a few days.

Watch this space  :thumbup:

Biggest misconception about DH but ill just leave you to your ignorance.

I was just joking, hence the emoticon.  I'll move on.... :)

I am sure I can arrange a downhill bike for you to ride up to the top of a DH track, then you should ride the DH track. Rinse and repeat. Lets see how many runs you can do before begging for a shuttle.  :thumbup:

Ladies NEVER have to beg for shuttles!!

I think DH could have a very bright future as we do have talented riders in the country, and considering the top guys (excluding Greg & Needles) even feature on the World Cup circuit still amazes me, considering the access the Euros & Americans have to 'real elevation'. I think our top guys work extremely hard and that shows.

WRT the short term out look, it depends on people putting up their hands and making it happen. I think DH in KZN would be very different without Nige, he does a *** load of thankless work to keep events happening. JHB used to have a happening scene (before my time) but no one has taken over the reigns and the whole race scene has essentially fallen away, which means it all needs to start from scratch. JHB needs someone (or a group of guys) to get a series going again (on a tight budget and a lot of passion) prove it can work for a season or 2 and try to get decent sponsors on board to grow the events, but this requires riders to help with setup of the events and then to turn up to the events. . No one is going to throw money at DH locally as it simply does not appeal to masses (WRT participation), so no external event organizer will ever consider DH a viable option as it is never going to draw the cash that the marathon/XC style events do. 

Tracks... I think with the development of trails for the use in Enduro style events the wincing and moaning of tracks not being progressive can simply fall away TBH. There are heaps of trails that you can send on your DH or trail bike which will help with your progression. Also, trails are just dirt, if you feel you need something to progress, go out and build it.

Strangely enough I consider the Spruit to have been the most beneficial trail to my progression (I only started DH after I turned 30 in 2010, so it is never too late). There are a good couple spots on the Spruit where you can test your skills on moderate sized obstacles (drops, jumps, berms, dirt jumps etc). Yes, you'll look like a tosser sessioning spots on your DH bike but your not there to impress the budgie smugglers and at least you'll be wearing pants (and TBH most of the XC folk are good folk and probably couldn't care less what you're doing, but there will always be the odd tosser in fully sponsored kit racing you on his rigid SS 29'r :whistling:). The spruit really does cater for this, but progression does come with falling (and sometimes injuries) no matter how 'safe' the obstacle is made. That said I still get beaten by Mr Hicks :cursing: (pretty much every f**ken race) who is a self confessed non-jumper, so doing the 'big obstacles' is not the be all and end all of racing.

Track building/maintenance... for most riders it is something that other people do. 

JHB is not blessed with gradient, it is just the way it is, but there are spots you can session (like Helderkruin). You will have to travel to ride and to keep psyched on your riding, which is not always a bad thing.

Bikes... Our local DH scene is so small (and saturated with bikes) that with R10k you can get a very decent fully kitted DH bike. That said many/most/all of our tracks can be ridden on a decent trail bike.

Numbers... Well that is obviously all dependent on all the above bits n bobs interlinking and ultimately having bodies on bikes in the start gate. This is tough one as there are plenty guys and girls who don't like the race pressure. I'm not sure how you get around that, but I really wish all those people psyched on DH (or just riding technical trails) would help support the races. Personally I see a weekend DH race as a paid for shuttle weekend with a fully prepped track (there is something cool about a fully taped track), with medics on standby if required. The timing is a bonus. All this for R200 odd.

I think the development of the Enduro race format has helped (in KZN it has) and we're getting an increase in numbers (Nige can confirm), so for now after that long schpiel, I do see a future for DH in SA!

My opinions are very JHB/KZN based, simply because these are the two scenes I know.

SO WHO IS IN FOR KZN CHAMPS?

CASCADES MTB PARK

6 - 7 JUNE  :thumbup:

Deffos, blondie made a grappie though, Mr min will klap most okes on a marathon course, he is strong....as in fit strong. But while we on the topic of misconception, that knife cuts both ways. Many a DH'er think you have zero skills because you wearr lycra and ride a hardtail.

This is what I will be turning my attention to in the near future. A Festival type event that includes a half marathon, XC, Enduro and a "mini" DH complete with camping, braai's, some music, airbag/foam pit and possibly even a pump track. A place where lycra and baggies can all just be friends and get along for a few days.

Watch this space  :thumbup:

Boom...that is just happened. As soon as you can get the numbers at the events, things will happen I reckon, the only way you will get numbers is by slowly instroducing other riding diciplines as part of the event(read boiling frog syndrome). "Mixed bag of dicipline" events are fun, fresh and gets people to events...the rest will follow naturally 

Deffos, blondie made a grappie though, Mr min will klap most okes on a marathon course, he is strong....as in fit strong. But while we on the topic of misconception, that knife cuts both ways. Many a DH'er think you have zero skills because you wearr lycra and ride a hardtail.

Jup. Coffee hasn't happened yet and I was being a dick. All good again.

Jup. Coffee hasn't happened yet and I was being a dick. All good again.

It is okay....it happens...too little oxygen from wearing a full face helmet :whistling:

But I was also trolling.  Maybe my lycra is also a bit too tight.

It is okay....it happens...too little oxygen from wearing a full face helmet :whistling:

But I was also trolling.  Maybe my lycra is also a bit too tight.

Nah, you just hadn't had your soy-non-fat-decaf-half-shot-mocha yet... :)

Nah, you just hadn't had your soy-non-fat-decaf-half-shot-mocha yet... :)

With wings china

And skinless chicken breast salad on the side.....

Archived