Wendy flies home to SA tonight (and it's her birthday today!) while I stay on for two weeks sorting a few things out and catching up with some old friends.

Going to miss her :-(

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy flies home to SA tonight (and it's her birthday today!) while I stay on for two weeks sorting a few things out and catching up with some old friends.

Going to miss her :-(

Happy Birthday Wendy!

Good luck Bonus with the remaining details. So far so good!

• 2 weeks later...

Last few days in the UK before heading back to SA to wrap thing up. It's been a quick month!

I won't be going back to work in SA so I'm looking forward to getting in some good riding in the sunshine between getting back to SA and leaving again in a couple of months :-)

Back on SA soil and knackered. Was a busy month. Nice to be home and sleep in my own bed. . . .

As to our move . . . .

when we went over the initial sketches/plans with the architect we decided to make some more substantial modifications than we had originally planned. One of which is that it looks like we will be extending the walls of the tower by approx 1.5m to give ourselves more headroom on the top floor and the walls of the outbuildings to allow for a little more headroom and a nice insulated space between the outer roof and the interior ceilings - necessary for winter.

We decided that if these big mods needed doing, now was the time to do it. Other than that, the architect had used my marked up photos to come up with a very good layout for us. Now he is busy doing proper technical drawings for us to approve.

Meanwhile we have our place here on the market and we're continuing to sort through stuff to take or not take. . . . Whilst also practicing the art of "taking a lunchtime siesta"

:-)

Last month we opened a joint bank account in Spain, yesterday I closed my SA bank account here. Wendy will keep hers until the house sale etc goes through. We may even keep hers open after we leave for a while - just in case we need it for anything.

We are arranging for furniture removal companies to come and quote us on shipping costs next week. Depending on the quotes, we might have to re-think how much stuff we take with us. . . .  

Meanwhile I'm loving this heatwave and enjoying riding every day :-)

Back on SA soil and knackered. Was a busy month. Nice to be home and sleep in my own bed. . . .

As to our move . . . .

when we went over the initial sketches/plans with the architect we decided to make some more substantial modifications than we had originally planned. One of which is that it looks like we will be extending the walls of the tower by approx 1.5m to give ourselves more headroom on the top floor and the walls of the outbuildings to allow for a little more headroom and a nice insulated space between the outer roof and the interior ceilings - necessary for winter.

We decided that if these big mods needed doing, now was the time to do it. Other than that, the architect had used my marked up photos to come up with a very good layout for us. Now he is busy doing proper technical drawings for us to approve.

Meanwhile we have our place here on the market and we're continuing to sort through stuff to take or not take. . . . Whilst also practicing the art of "taking a lunchtime siesta"

:-)

You have a tower..? That's freaking awesome..

Last month we opened a joint bank account in Spain, yesterday I closed my SA bank account here. Wendy will keep hers until the house sale etc goes through. We may even keep hers open after we leave for a while - just in case we need it for anything.

We are arranging for furniture removal companies to come and quote us on shipping costs next week. Depending on the quotes, we might have to re-think how much stuff we take with us. . . .

Meanwhile I'm loving this heatwave and enjoying riding every day :-)

Shipping is expensive! We decided on Britannia. On average, about 7% cheaper than the others we had. The fx rate will hammer you. Door to door including packing from cpt to amsterdam for about half a container is R60k.

White goods are generally more pricey here in Europe than SA. Funnily enough, I find tye UK to have very competitive prices on household goods compared to the Netherlands. Not sure what it will be like with your destination.

Shipping is expensive! We decided on Britannia. On average, about 7% cheaper than the others we had. The fx rate will hammer you. Door to door including packing from cpt to amsterdam for about half a container is R60k.

White goods are generally more pricey here in Europe than SA. Funnily enough, I find tye UK to have very competitive prices on household goods compared to the Netherlands. Not sure what it will be like with your destination.

Cheers J.

We're not sure what to take and what not to take. I know it makes sense to leave most stuff behind and replace with reasonably priced new in Europe - and we have compared prices etc. Part of the problem is getting anything for your stuff when you sell it here. Our belongings are worth more to us than they are to anyone buying them.

It will come down to the maths at the end of the day and I suspect we wont take too much.

I've posted some of these before, some are new.

The third pic is Wendy nervously biting her nails in fear of Vikings . . . .

The last pic is "the secret staircase".

Looks amazing there

Nothing to be scared of Wendy

This is what a viking looks like.[emoji6]

post-39623-1444321976,4937.jpgpost-39623-1444321980,5432.jpg