American Classic Hubs

Marius

...I've got my road bike now for about 11months, it came with a set of American Classic 420's and I'm really starting to dislike them. I?m breaking a AV of 1 spoke per month. The Rear Hub started developing some play, I took it in 2week ago and they replaced 2bearings, one week later the cluster developed some play and they replaced another bearing. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now last night 17mins into a training ride my front wheel went all wobbly and I had to stop as it was shaving against my brake pads, I opened then all the way but it was still wobbly and then the hub?s goodies started to come out on the sides so I had to stop.

I don?t know what I would have done if this happened during the Redhill Race going down the downhill section at 70.5km/h?

I?m taking the wheel in today, hopefully it?s not to serious. But I?d like to warn others that may be thinking of buying these wheels/Hubs, they suck!

Marius2006-09-21 04:02:27

Hi Marius.

Sadly i have to agree with you. I had a set of AC sprint 350s. I identified two design problems: The rear hub is too narrow which results in too acute a spoke angle. The rim is also some 5 mm narrower than most. The wheel becomes too sensitive to the spoke tension. If the spoke tension is slightly out the rim wobbles. I also believe that the bearings are too small. I sold mine very cheap to someone who had another set and likes them. Replacing the hubs would solve most of the problems.

Gumpole, lets see, No, No and No again. They just starting to break all of a sudden:-/

Well I can?t use them for just racing. The back hub will be taken care off when I have the PowerTap installed. The front hub will just have to be replaced or fixed.

Marius2006-09-21 04:04:39

Yeah I wouldn't mind one, but can't afford it by a LONG shot...and Tito raising interest rates time and again this year is killing me...not even slowly..CryConfused Only reason I seem to look fitter is because I can't afford to eat properly anymore...

Marius, I was gonna buy some AM classics.... last year this time..... I heard some bad things about them. Out of true easily.... lots of problems...

I went for Richey Protocols rather, I have been very happy.... 1st thing that just happend.... the bearings hav gone after 8 months in the back wheel. They said its wear and tear.... I only race on them

Marius. Ive got the exact same wheelset. I also had the problem with spokes braking. I sent the wheel to cape cycles and they replaced all the spokes with better ones. Apparantly all the wheels were fitted with a bad batch of spokes. With the bearings I did not have a single day's trouble in over a year. I find the hubs awesome.

Ek race ook met AM 420's geen probleme nie.

In die begin het ek n probleem gehad met die cones op my agter wiel, dit het hulle oor gedoen en sedertdien Thumbs%20Up (touch wood)
ORCA2006-09-21 05:47:59