When should you help out a fellow rider?

NixM

Day 2 of Sani was going well we were riding comfortably getting ready for the long climb out of the valley. Next thing we come across a guy with a snapped derailleur hanger. I carry a small bike shop worth of spares including an emergency / universal derailleur hanger. So I stop and give it to the guy explain to him that instructions are on the packaging. He says thanks but he doesn't have an allen key! We ask were his partner is he says no his partner is riding ahead and has not seen him in a long time.

So I spend 20min helping him get some sort of usable gears. In the meantime I send my partner ahead as I am the stronger rider.

Now no good dead goes unpunished. The guy I have been helping does say thanks but doesn't even ask my name or take my race number in case he wanted to buy me a drink to say thanks. I then start racing to catch up to my partner i don't drink or eat enough and bonk badly on Nandos hill, .

Overall it just left a bad taste in my mouth and really ruined day 2 for me.

So in the future what should I do?

- Ignore everyone with a problem in a ride as they are likely to be unorganised, unprepared and ungrateful.

- Stop and offer any spares i have but not give up my time.

- Or do exactly the same and give spares and time in the hope that that person will pay it forward in the future?

EDIT: So I have heard from a friend of the unprepared one! see post number #271

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never experienced what you have described in a race, I am sure largely because I don't race. I have dished out lots of stuff on the side of a trail. I work on paying it forward and at some point someone may help me out when I need it.

I suppose you need to decide what kind of human being you want to be. Without you that guy might still be there.

As a recreational rider I always stop to help. I've helped riders that are so frustrated they forget what's the time of day. I believe what you sow you reap, hopefully someone will help me someday. If I was running for podium I wouldn't stop, after all its a race. T

Day 2 of Sani was going well we were riding comfortably getting ready for the long climb out of the valley. Next thing we come across a guy with a snapped derailleur hanger. I carry a small bike shop worth of spares including an emergency / universal derailleur hanger. So I stop and give it to the guy explain to him that instructions are on the packaging. He says thanks but he doesn't have an allen key! We ask were his partner is he says no his partner is riding ahead and has not seen him in a long time.

So I spend 20min helping him get some sort of usable gears. In the meantime I send my partner ahead as I am the stronger rider.

Now no good dead goes unpunished. The guy I have been helping does say thanks but doesn't even ask my name or take my race number in case he wanted to buy me a drink to say thanks. I then start racing to catch up to my partner i don't drink or eat enough and bonk badly on Nandos hill, .

So in the future what should I do? Ignore everyone with a problem in a ride as they are likely to be unorganised, unprepared and ungrateful. Stop and offer any spares i have but not give up my time. Or do exactly the same and give spares and time in the hope that that person will pay it forward in the future?

Nice of you to help. I helped out a oke with a bomb/adaptor. we didn't get each other at the end. He did ask my name and my race number. I never saw him but I'm sure we will bump into each other and he will give it back. He also help sought my mechanical out as well. I think if someone helps you out, the least you can do is try to make contact with the oke and say thanks again at a minimum.

If its medical,I will help as much as I can.

If its mechanical, I will see what I can do.

But okes need to stock up with stuff, so let me go and get this hanger thing.

You have committed a cardinal sin.......girl helps boy in mechanical trouble........boy's ego goes poef......

Ping Rouxtjie on his undetstanding and principles regarding this matter. You might find it very intetesting.

Also carry a small garage on my back.......received a lot of promised cold beers.........have not tasted one yet.

Wyatt also has an opinion on this................oh wait, he is MIA........

I think you can still be a decent human being without stopping to help every person you come across needling help, especially in a race. Is there a sweeper on these multi stage races or could someone conceivably end up walking 80km to the end?

A friend of mine saw very similar things happening during Jo'burg to sea. Seems some people had really bad luck and some people were just asking for it.

I have spent almost an hour bent over in 40 degree heat stabilising a riders neck who fell and concussed himself in a race. Thats obviously non negotiable assistance

And yes a snapped derailleur hanger is bad luck, I also understand that some people won't carry a spare out of ignorance or taking a chance.

But to not carry an allen key ? Seriously ! the more i think of it the more mad i get. I must be a sucker.

for xcm i carry:

multi tool (incl chain tool)

a spare tube (got tubeless)

levers

puncture repair kit

chain link

bombs and adaptor

going to get this hanger thingy now

what am i missing?

Similar to running into a toilet cubicle to answer nature's second call........start the proceedings in haste........and then you realise there is no toilet paper. Instant ego crunch...

for xcm i carry:

levers

puncture repair kit

chain link

bombs and adaptor

what am i missing?

Panado,s and cramp pills 

Once I was rather irritated with my partner helping out another oke with a flat. Afterwards I felt a little bad, but my partner's reason for stopping was to catch his breath...

Another race I somehow managed to spring my chain out of the hanger. The tool I needed was some pliers, something I do not carry. A friendly oom stopped by and helped me out.

Another friend of mine broke the whole derailleur on Epic. Some nice dude helped him out at the next technical area. He is the type that will help in whatever emergency you find yourself though.

Anyways, I sincerely agree medical assistance is non - negotiable. Mechanical help is a tough question. When can you be considered a saint or a sucker?

for xcm i carry:

levers

puncture repair kit

chain link

bombs and adaptor

what am i missing?

Cable ties

Ductape

Chain lube

Piece of "blou draad"

Extra cleat bolts

Extra valve

Small patch of tube/rubber

Hand pump

Recovery gel

Antihistamine tablets

Bandage/plaster

Staaldruppels

Blitz Stick glue

Surgical latex gloves

WD40

Tampon (or three)

Leatherman multitool

.....and 3L fluid bladder.....and capacity to carry an extra 6kgs on your bike.

So in the future what should I do? Ignore everyone with a problem in a ride as they are likely to be unorganised, unprepared and ungrateful. Stop and offer any spares i have but not give up my time. Or do exactly the same and give spares and time in the hope that that person will pay it forward in the future?

so you stopped to help which is the noble thing to do ..well done :thumbup:

then you forgot to eat or drink and bonked

how did that become the fault of the guy you helped ?

the two don't rely compute do they ?

console yourself that despite your having a shitty day because you bonked your day was made better because you helped a fellow cyclist :clap:

I think helping someone out should have no expectations whatsoever. Like loaning someone cash - don't expect it back. If you get it back, bonus.

I also believe the wheel turns. Doing good for others may not get a return from the person helped, but it will come - in some form from someone - somewhere.

I always stop and help if I can and expect nothing in return but for that person to pay it forward. I always respond to thank you's by saying: Today you, Tomorrow me.

Archived