moving to CT, best areas to live for mtb from doorstep

quade

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R35K buys me a house? not sure what that means

is http://www.property24.com/the best site for looking at rentals?

R35k to cover bond repayments for a decent 4 bedr house. Rental a bit cheaper. Will be tough to get a bond especially if you're not SA citizen. 

But agree, www.gumtree.co.za has the most variety, but be aware of scamsters. If they say they moved to Durban to work at the Christiana HEalth Care System, and if you pay a deposit they will post the keys, stay away :)

9% interest in SA...fudge that!
I'll probably offset against uk house and get a euro mortgage

Thanks for the heads up, will get on gumtree now

any place in George if you want to ride from your your doorstep :)

My neighbour visited christmas time and said he wants to buy a house and retire in George

Sounds pretty nice!

9% interest in SA...fudge that!

I'll probably offset against uk house and get a euro mortgage

Thanks for the heads up, will get on gumtree now

If you can do that, and get the cash out, then go for it. 

If you can do that, and get the cash out, then go for it. 

my interest rate on uk house is 0.89% 

Doubt i'll get that, but will easily get 5% or below

Net? Yes, absolutely. That would put you into "entry-level lavish" territory, to be honest.

I'm guessing with a family you're looking at:

Housing (4 bedroom house) - R35k

Vehicles x2  - R15k

Insurance - R2k

Medical aid - R5k

Groceries and household sundries - R10k

Kids education & other stuff (guessing on what I've heard here) - R15k

Entertainment - R10k

Total of R92k, and that's without savings & investment.

It all adds up so quickly!

I lived like a king on R800/month in stellenbosch. ok there was a lot of costs that went on the student account.

but seriously, you can get by no problems on a lot less than R90k

Then have a look at the difference between the rentals and property finance pricing. No use going through the effort of refinancing an asset if the rental prices would be 20% lower than the repayments on the mortgage... 

I lived like a king on R800/month in stellenbosch. ok there was a lot of costs that went on the student account.

but seriously, you can get by no problems on a lot less than R90k

So did I (referring to the R800/month thing), when studying.

A family with a couple of kids is a different ball game however, which is why I said R60k worth of expenses is enough for a comfortable lifestyle.

O.M.F !!!

What kind of salaries are you okes earning? 

Total combined income for me and the wife is not even what you okes bandy around for an house alone.

Then we pay a bond, medical aid, rates and taxes, electricity, groceries, etc. Luckily we drive the best car in the world. (the one thats paid off already :whistling: ) And we live a good life. Not flush with cash, but we get along. Hell, I can even afford to cycle.......

On second thoughts, don't answer, as I just might get depressed. ;)

Edited by Wannabe

If Pierre De Vos were to read this thread he'd have a white privilege aneurism.

Just move to Paarl dude.  R90k a month settes you on Val de Vie Polo and Wine Estate and you'll still feel like you're living in the countryside.

Stellenbosch and Somerset-West are crime-ridden. 

O.M.F !!!

What kind of salaries are you okes earning? 

Total combined income for me and the wife is not even what you okes bandy around for an house alone.

Then we pay a bond, medical aid, rates and taxes, electricity, groceries, etc. Luckily we drive the best car in the world. (the one thats paid off already :whistling: ) And we live a good life. Not flush with cash, but we get along. Hell, I can even afford to cycle.......

bear in mind that the bond repayment on a R 3m home is in the region of R 30 - R 35k per month... 4 bed, 2 bath, reasonable space in that area - that's about average. 

Our family though - total expenses R 40k per month. That's with a house that has a R 500k bond and then all the other things on top of that. If the bond were larger, we'd easily be spending north of R 60k per month.. 

bear in mind that the bond repayment on a R 3m home is in the region of R 30 - R 35k per month... 4 bed, 2 bath, reasonable space in that area - that's about average. 

Our family though - total expenses R 40k per month. That's with a house that has a R 500k bond and then all the other things on top of that. If the bond were larger, we'd easily be spending north of R 60k per month.. 

Yes.

Just a quick disclaimer about my cost summaries: I'm assuming zero existing inputs from assets/investments/whatever. This is very seldom a scenario which people will find themselves in, but because people's situations are so diverse it's the only realistic way to tackle it. I can't say "If you sold an existing property worth X and used savings worth Y (because I don't know what X and Y are) and moved to Stellenbosch you'd be paying this much for a house". The same goes for vehicles.

My cost summary is thus a blank state starting point:

Buy a 4-bedroom house in Stellenbosch, it's a reality that the bond will cost you R35k/month. Buy a R450k primary vehicle (say a demo Audi Q5) and a R300k secondary vehicle (a new Golf), and with insurance you'll be looking at R15k/month. Both these points don't take into account that you may already have two vehicles, or you may already have cash to purchase both, or finance 50% of both, or whatever.

Please interpret it this way...

Just make sure you think about our very volatile exchange rate if you thinking about bringing money into the country. The way it is going is not good. If you plan to take capital out again then you might be in **** street with the exchange. Don't think interest rate differences between UK and SA rates will make up for that.

Do yourself a favour and look at the fx trend GBPZAR for the last few years and you will see what i mean.

Just make sure you think about our very volatile exchange rate if you thinking about bringing money into the country. The way it is going is not good. If you plan to take capital out again then you might be in **** street with the exchange. Don't think interest rate differences between UK and SA rates will make up for that.

Do yourself a favour and look at the fx trend GBPZAR for the last few years and you will see what i mean.

Thanks man

Yes i've watched it nose dive and seen the link to precious metal with the ZAR, although i'm not that clued up on the economy 

I don't really want to spend any more than R90K a month unless i'm investing in a house or plot of land

I guess what you are saying is the house I buy maybe worth sod all in future if I ever want to pull the money out, thats fine with me, I've got investment/rental houses in the UK that are for the retirement fund, but if i'm settling in SA, I will want to own a home

I just hate throwing away money on rentals as a long term option....it feels so wrong!

....Unless you guys are thinking its only a matter of time before you leave SA due to the political situation

seems to be the in most of Africa!