moving to CT, best areas to live for mtb from doorstep

quade

how much are asp.net developers with 4-6 years experience?.... I also need to setup a company and employee some guys 

They will be about 25 - 35k/month. Finding c# devs is a bit difficult anywhere in the Cape. Paarl/Wellington will be very difficult to find devs. You will be able to find devs in the Somerset West/Stellenbosch areas but maybe not as easy as closer to the city, I am however not an expert on where it is easier to find devs, I am however an expert in cloud development so let me know if you ever need any of that, I can help put your web application in the cloud and make it scale if this is a requirement.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how much are asp.net developers with 4-6 years experience?.... I also need to setup a company and employee some guys 

Depends on how good they are and whether they'd be full-time (the biggest factor), someone full-time with a degree and that number of years experience would earn between R25k and R35k. Someone on contract basis would be more.

From my advanced (wikipedia) research it says Paarl/Wellington is mainly Afrikaans 
Is that still true?
Would it be similar to durbanville or more 
afrikaans?

From my advanced (wikipedia) research it says Paarl/Wellington is mainly Afrikaans 

Is that still true?

Would it be similar to durbanville or more afrikaans?

Honestly Afrikaans may only be an issue if you're moving to a little one horse town in the middle of nowhere.

If you're putoff by Durbanville because it's "Afrikaans" then please reassess because even though it's considered to be Afrikaans there are way more English people there and everyone can understand you if you do decide to converse with them in English.  I should know because I'm very English and have a house in Durbanville.

Is that still true?

Would it be similar to durbanville or more afrikaans?

Afrikaans is very prominent in 1. Paarl, 2. Stellenbosch, and 3. Northern suburbs. If you need more Ingels then go for Southern Subs but property options are limited, lots of traffic, and mtb riding is limited.

Language will not be a barrier at all. The vast majority of Afrikaans people speak English very well.  

I would say Durbanville is about 60:40 Afrikaans:English. Lots of English people here as well as a big English High School - wouldn't say it's your typical Afrikaans area.

My 2c...

Your options are all good to look at, ie Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Paarl, Durbanville (or Cape Town northern suburbs).

Stellenbosch is predominantly a university town and if you want to take longer cycles out by yourself there are hijacking hot spots at all location while trying to enter or exit.  Traffic in Stellies is a nightmare as well as trying to travel into or out of it to get to other areas.  

Somerset West is a nice place but have issues with flooding during the winter months.  Also the main ingress/egress is along the N2 which can be affected by protest action in Khayelitsha.

Paarl is cheaper than all the options.  

Durbanville/northern suburbs - you're closer to a larger variety of amenities.   It's relatively safe.  There are security estates that you can live in.  I'm in Graanendal and they're busy opening up a second phase (in the event that you want to purchase new).  Traffic can occasionally be a nightmare if it's raining. 

Gumtree will give you a relatively good idea of what it costs to rent.  At the end of the day it's up to you what you like the best.

My 2c...

Your options are all good to look at, ie Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Paarl, Durbanville (or Cape Town northern suburbs).

Stellenbosch is predominantly a university town and if you want to take longer cycles out by yourself there are hijacking hot spots at all location while trying to enter or exit.  Traffic in Stellies is a nightmare as well as trying to travel into or out of it to get to other areas.  

Somerset West is a nice place but have issues with flooding during the winter months.  Also the main ingress/egress is along the N2 which can be affected by protest action in Khayelitsha.

Paarl is cheaper than all the options.  

Durbanville/northern suburbs - you're closer to a larger variety of amenities.   It's relatively safe.  There are security estates that you can live in.  I'm in Graanendal and they're busy opening up a second phase (in the event that you want to purchase new).  Traffic can occasionally be a nightmare if it's raining. 

Gumtree will give you a relatively good idea of what it costs to rent.  At the end of the day it's up to you what you like the best.

The flooding is not an issue really - get a house on the hill with a sea view/Helderview. The N2 protests are only a problem if you have to travel on the N2. Crime levels I think is similar between Somerset West and Northern suburbs. Living in Somerset West is better because it is a bit less city-like but still has everything you need (best Woolies in the World), and you have the big mountains and the sea, less traffic, and better access to the nicest mtb trails.

Language will not be a barrier at all. The vast majority of Afrikaans people speak English very well.  

I can have never metted a afrikaans people that could not bespeak Ingels.