moving to CT, best areas to live for mtb from doorstep

quade

Hi All

Our next stop is western cape after being in Nairobi for a fair whack of time

I love that i can hit the trails from my door step.
I'm looking for a good place to live to do the same thing, and must be family friendly for a young family and have good internet.... thats all I need.

Any recommendations

I was thinking of Constantia, seems pretty nice and looks to have some good hills near by

I would also like to ride with other guys from the door step

Growing up in Wales, I'm well into my technical stuff, (up and down)...I get a little bored of jeep track stuff which is big in kenya

Thanks for any advice

Edited by quade

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends also on your budget, the Northern Suburbs are more affordable - Durbanville/Plattekloof/Edgemead and you have Tygerberg MTB all around you. 100km+ of trails. 

I am not sure where the Southern SUburb people have been riding because Tokai was affected by the big fire earlier this year. 

You can also live in the CBD and ride on Table Mountain, but for sheer volume and range of trails, the Northern Suburbs gets my vote. 

agreed with Cleats above. Tyberberg has endless single track with some decent technical stuff. Table Mountain is great but mostly jeep track.

Hi All

Our next stop is western cape after being in Nairobi for a fair whack of time

I love that i can hit the trails from my door step.

I'm looking for a good place to live to do the same thing, and must be family friendly for a young family and have good internet.... thats all I need.

Any recommendations

I was thinking of Constantia, seems pretty nice and looks to have some good hills near by

I would also like to ride with other guys from the door step

Growing up in Wales, I'm well into my technical stuff, (up and down)...I get a little bored of jeep track stuff which is big in kenya

Thanks for any advice

the southern side of Cape Town has been badly affected by the recent fires. most if not all the mtb riding areas are closed indefinetly.

your better option and variety meeting your needs  , i  would say the stellenbosch area.

Welcome to Cape Town firstly :clap:  Now that the welcome mat is properly out, anywhere is close to trails in CT..Constantia is good, Tokai close and all with plenty of ST and BIG climbs..Speak to the locals though, it is still closed since the big burn of March :thumbdown: ..sadly.

Northern Sub's are close to both Bottelary and Tygerberg Hills (my haunt) :drool: . I ride from Blouberg area for a 10kay sprint before hitting some truly epic trails.

Anywhere really, Cape Town is awesome for MTB, but I'm sure you already know that :thumbup:

+1 for Northern Subs. Join Tygerberg Mtb Club and you have many trails to chose from in close proximity. 

Edited by dre

Welcome to Cape Town, agree on The Northern Suburbs Bottelary hills offer a great and varied system of trails then there is Jonkershoek which is also stunning. Stellenbosch would give you the best of both of these great MTB worlds. 

The REAL problem with the OP's predicament is that no matter where he settles, he will always feel that he wishes he was closer to the "other" trails, like I do. I absolutely wish that Tokai, Jonkers, Elgin, Lebanon, Paul Cluver, Oak Valley, Welvanpas, Tygerberg and Bottelary were all a 10 minute dash from home...damn, these choices....

How long you planning to stay?  I assume you are renting?

A lot will depend on your budget.  Northern Suburbs you looking at around R10 to R15k per month for a 3 or 4 bed house.  Maybe a little cheaper or more expensive depending on the suburb - but that's a good ball park figure.

I ride the Tygerberg trails - out the door, down the road and into the wine farms  :thumbup:

Family friendly, more of a country life type feel to it than a city life.  Slightly more Afrikaans than English - but certainly not a show stopper.

My money will be on stellenbosch.

Simonsberg conservancy

Dirtopia trail Center

Gpsot

Paarl DH down the road

Jonkers

Welvanpas nearby

Then over Sir lowrys pass are some more trails

what else did I miss?

Edited by Eddy Gordo

.................... and must be family friendly for a young family................

If your children are in school, that may complicate matters. If you want to have them in one of the international schools, that narrows it down even more. Picking something close by helps hugely. American International School in Constantia. British International School in Wynberg / Kenilworth. Best English language local private and government schools in Southern Suburbs. From that perspective, Constantia to Newlands looks good.

Big question is where are you going to be working? I live in Somerset west on the R44 to Stellenbosch and have about 4 farms on my doorstep. Really nice but I work in Paarden Eiland which makes life interesting travel wise.