Tool purchase advice

cadenceblur

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IceToolz are an affordable option. Got quite a bit of there stuff, and am happy with the quality.

As a tip, if you need a cassette removal tool, make sure it has the long alignment pin in the middle. Will reduce frustration and help not damage your tool,

Keeps tabs with the specials at CWC. Their stand is good value for money. 

I got a good deal on a Torque Wrench on Easybike. 

Make sure to check the torque settings. 

Edited by venom1

Does anyone know where to get these in JHB? Been idly looking for the parktool one for a few months now. A number of the stores I've been to don't even know what I'm referring to :(.

http://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-dag-2

Here http://www.capemulti.co.za/CATEGORIES/tabid/5071/CategoryID/64/List/0/catpageindex/5/Level/1/ProductID/1419/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost+DESC%2cUnitCost+DESC

A decent air compressor. Great to blow things clean and dry.

I want to get me a compressor. What size shoukd i look for. I am also just a starting up handyman on a budget?

Should I look for size of the tank or strength of the compressor motor?

I just buy as I go along. From the list I saw, i would have recommended link fliers. If you really get in to it then BB and headset facing tools and alignment tools (which can be easily made) are nice to have as well as BB removal tools. I reckon a good guide is always worth it - ZInn and the art is a great one.

I want to get me a compressor. What size shoukd i look for. I am also just a starting up handyman on a budget?

Should I look for size of the tank or strength of the compressor motor?

Neither is that important for MTB only - for a proffessional spraypainter they are both important.

Something in the 25 - 50l tank size will be fine for basic home use - if you want to be a pro car painter - 200l and a compressor rating of 20cfm or so is right.

I agree with both V12man and Fanievb. The 50L is more that enough for the bike related stuff. The nice thing about the 50L is it's not so big and heavy so easy to load on the bakkie and take along with you to jobs. Never used the compressor for spraypainting though so can't comment if 50L is sufficient. 

I agree with both V12man and Fanievb. The 50L is more that enough for the bike related stuff. The nice thing about the 50L is it's not so big and heavy so easy to load on the bakkie and take along with you to jobs. Never used the compressor for spraypainting though so can't comment if 50L is sufficient. 

50l is usable for small paint jobs with a mini/touchup gun - but you need to add water filters to it before trying to paint - and it will work very hard. I can even run my air impact gun with my 50l compressor - but not for very long, just needs some patience, so I prefer to use my bigger one.

25l is too small to paint anything - unless its with an airbrush.