Copper plating a frame

CAAD4

Has anyone had a steel frame copper plated in Jhb. I'd appreciate feedback, recommendations, comments and cost indications.

Thanks All.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't copper very heavy? Other than that it would look awesome.

You can try African Electroplating in Industria (I think). They do Chrome and Nickel plating, but I believe that they start with a layer of Copper.

Isn't copper very heavy? Other than that it would look awesome.

You can try African Electroplating in Industria (I think). They do Chrome and Nickel plating, but I believe that they start with a layer of Copper.

Thanks I've heard of them in Classic Car circles. I was hoping someone had done a frame. I have seen one that was for sale on the Hub a few week's ago.

that's gonna confuse the bike jackers...they not gonna know whether to take it to Mozambique or their local scrap dealer

Can you copper plate metal/steel - there might be an adhesion problem.

There could also be a reaction between the two over time.

Can you copper plate metal/steel - there might be an adhesion problem.

There could also be a reaction between the two over time.

there wont be an adhesion problem as far as I know, the metal conducts electricity so the plating will work quite well. the Copper will oxidize over time and become a greenish blue but other that that i think it will look quite cool. just note the frame won't be a shiny brown colour unless you polish it with a very fine metal polish. Plated copper is a very dark non shiny brown.

I've seen many pictures of it having been done overseas, so with steel there doesn't seem to be a problem, as far as I know. I'm just wanting to compare places to see if it's financially viable.

post-388-0-12491400-1434975132_thumb.jpg

Has anyone had a steel frame copper plated in Jhb. I'd appreciate feedback, recommendations, comments and cost indications.

Thanks All.

Mike at Mikes bikes just did one - chat to him.

there wont be an adhesion problem as far as I know, the metal conducts electricity so the plating will work quite well. the Copper will oxidize over time and become a greenish blue but other that that i think it will look quite cool. just note the frame won't be a shiny brown colour unless you polish it with a very fine metal polish. Plated copper is a very dark non shiny brown.

There seems to be different types, dark and bright. Most guys apply a clear coat, in order to keep it shiny and to prevent it from oxidising.

Mike at Mikes bikes just did one - chat to him.

Yes I forgot about them, as I saw that project of theirs a while ago. Thanks will do.

A friend of mine did it on a alphina frame a few years back he still has it what do you want to know then I can ask him

I've seen many pictures of it having been done overseas, so with steel there doesn't seem to be a problem, as far as I know. I'm just wanting to compare places to see if it's financially viable.

very nice, just please do not plak on a #moonlightmass plakkerkie as per the pic

very nice, just please do not plak on a #moonlightmass plakkerkie as per the pic

Neva! How about #Suckmycog?

that's gonna confuse the bike jackers...they not gonna know whether to take it to Mozambique or their local scrap dealer

At least if it breaks, you can call a Plumber....

Archived