Head ache after a long ride!

peds

I recently fell and whacked my noggin pretty hard.felt a bit dazed but ok. Following wkd riding had headaches both days . Carried on for a good few wks and realized that they are coming from a stiff neck after my fall. 6 wks later and still have a pretty damn stuff neck with intermittent headaches during the day. Went for x-Rays all ok so muc be all muscular . Time for pyhsio now,enough with the headaches.

So very possibly could be linked to your shoulder and neck.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem for last 15 yrs of riding road and mtb as soon as rides gets to 4 + hours I know i will have splitting headache for rest of day. Only thing that works for me is couple of anti inflammatories after the ride.

Being married to a physio has not improved the situation as I had hoped.

Question: Will aspirin (one Disprin/dosage??) taken with water before/during the ride not alleviate/ prevent the headache?

(blood thinning properties contributing to ease of blood flow and pressure regulation in brain)

Edited by BarHugger

I was plagued by headaches when riding more than around 3 hours.

So a few other obvious ones. I have to move my helmet around on my head to make sure it is not too tight; I tell myself to relax my shoulders and neck, moving them a little as far as is possible (rolling your neck around while riding can have some unwanted results - I know this) then, if it is a bright day, I make sure I wear dark tinted glasses and keep them on.  Taking them off after riding can be a bit of a shock to the peepers.  Relax and stretch neck muscles as soon as you get off the bike.

Mostly, headaches are no more.

I was plagued by headaches when riding more than around 3 hours.

So a few other obvious ones. I have to move my helmet around on my head to make sure it is not too tight; I tell myself to relax my shoulders and neck, moving them a little as far as is possible (rolling your neck around while riding can have some unwanted results - I know this) then, if it is a bright day, I make sure I wear dark tinted glasses and keep them on.  Taking them off after riding can be a bit of a shock to the peepers.  Relax and stretch neck muscles as soon as you get off the bike.

Mostly, headaches are no more.

Thanks, ill try this perhaps it will alleviate it somehow.

I find 2 disprin straight after the ride eliminate the headache .

I have heard it is dehydration , and the disprin helps thin the blood so fluids are replenished quicker . ( Could be BS , but it works for me ) .

"Jou kop is seer na n lang ry"......en as jy fiets ry?

Ok, ok. I sometimes get it as well, I use something called pixicam/coxicam. Its a muscle relaxer, I use it after a long day behind the computer or a long drive in the car, it helps to relax your neck muscles.

You can get it at you local pharmacy, as soon as you feel the headache take one with some water.

Works for me.

I used to get headaches after all rides. Then one day I stopped for coffee half way through. No headache that afternoon.  :D

Then I learnt that caffeine raises blood pressure, the cause of headaches seems to be the sudden drop in blood pressure after rides. I suffer from low blood pressure in general...

Now I take drinks with caffeine, and coffee before a race/ride. I do not drink coffee in general.

The opposite of this can also give you headaches.  Some supplements are high in Cafeine and if you are sensitive to Cafeine it will give you a headache

Rehidrate helped for my headaches and dizziness on long rides. I read somewhere that the headaches and dizziness could be as a result of low levels of potassium. I mix one sachet rehidrate into my Camelbak, and problem sorted.

I find the set-up at the bike shop to sometimes be a bit slap-dash. I also went to Cyclefit, great service, great people and nice to get a proper cleat set-up done too. Well worth it, in my opinion...

Thank you for your kind words. We are pleased to know that we were able to help and add value.

I swear by cyclefit. It only becomes expensive if you buy upgrades for your bike. But they are very honest about nice to haves and crucial upgrades/changes. Definitely give them a go.

Thanks Grant. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the service you received. Enjoy your cycling!

Thanks Grant. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the service you received. Enjoy your cycling!

Hey Guys,

Expect a booking from me soon.

I suffered from the same issue. If I did a race/event, the first thing that I did was to pop some pills as I know the headache is coming.

Due to a damaged nerve in my leg I saw a Neurologist. I used the opportunity to ask about these headaches and he just indicated that it is 100% normal. It is like muscle cramps, you get it if you are not used to the exertion level. Not fit enough or not doing the same regular enough. It is your body getting rid of toxins, nothing to worry about.

I normally get this after a longer ride, normally when I've gone too hard. Temperature doesn't make a difference but effort does.

I drink as much water as possible after my ride and for the rest of the day. Also PPP two mybulen and its sorts me right out. Not sure it's the healthiest solution but it works.

I believe that it can be very dangerous to ride on NSAIDS. Would be interested to hear from the resident hub docs on whether this is true, and why.