What is the safest helmet to buy?

Sniffie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a link below with some really good info on what makes a helmet safer and rating different helmets.

I never thought about things like sharp points on helmets which can 'catch' on something when you fall and cause a dangerous rotation of your head/neck. So many helmets have these sharp points in the 'interests' of aerodynamics and aesthetics whereas a smooth profile is obviously safer when you think about.

Innovations like MIPS are also an important development in helmet safety and should be considered when buying a new helmet.

http://www.bhsi.org/helmet14.htm

Ventilation and shock absorbance will not be ideal

Nope, just the ventilation. 

At the end of the day, apart from the newer MIPS helmets which claim to provide better impact absorption, they're all just compressed polystyrene. The reason the "better" helmets cost more is due to the amount of R&D that goes into designing a helmet that has as much ventilation and as little weight as possible without sacrificing the impact absorption and strength that a skate / pisspot helmet has.

A skate / bmx helmet undergoes SIGNIFICANT forces when they bail. They just don't have as much need for ventilation... 

Yes, lighter weight helmets do stress the neck less,  but you're not pushing multiple g's where that becomes a problem. 

Buy the helmet that fits you best, and provides some protection around the back of the head (no protruding sci-fi like shapes to give funny ways to land on the back of your head) End of story. That may be a R 300 pisspot, it may be a R 2,000 Bell Super. Fit is key. Not price. Not brand. 

In the case of a full face helmet, the chin-bar is an important area. Also, they're that much heavier than half-shell lids. 

Mostly what they said ^^

Don't be fooled that more expensive helmets offers more protection. But don't fo buy a Swoop helmet either.

I recently had a bad over the handlebars incident on our local trail, after one of the wooden bridges over a fence had been vandalised. The bridge is about 1,4 m above ground, and given the height at which one rides a mountain bike, I estimate the height from which I fell, almost on top of my head could easily have been 2 m. The Giro Xar helmet obviously saved me from concussion, possible broken vertebrae, and other more serious isues. Due to the fall I am suffering from a disc protrusion which are impacting on a nerve on the C6 level.

This incident and the remark: "Buy the best helmet you can afford.", that Andrew Mclean made recently after his heavy fall, made me think:

What is the safest helmet out there at the moment?

Does Giro in SA have a crash replacement initiative?

Is it true that Giro is now owned by Bell?

I would like some of the expert hub opinions on this subject before buying my next lid please.

The XAR is a great helmet so why change.

This gets very good reviews.

http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/dirt_new/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ixs-1020x1120.jpg

IXS Trail RS

The IXS Trail RS comes away with the title of the most universally comfy trail lid on the market. While most helmets might not fit the odd person, the Trail RS is the only helmet we know of that sits comfortably for everyone who tried it on. This is thanks to a great shell shape, high quality padding that is well positioned inside the shell, and a superb retention system. Not only does the helmet fit and feel great, it is also a looker and comes in a range of solid, bold colours which we think look great. The deep shell offers great side and rear protection for the head, so you know it’ll do the job in a crash. On the subject of crashing, the crash release system in the fully adjustable peak is a welcome touch. The full in-mould construction and 22 sizeable vents both keep the weight at an amazing 320g, and those vents do an outstanding job of keeping your head from cooking. A helmet of this quality should surely be more expensive, so this helmet offers great value on top an already excellent package. The RS stands for Richey Schley and it’s evident at every point that a rider as experienced and knowledgeable as Richey has been involved in this helmets development.

Read more at http://dirtmountainbike.com/products/fresh-produce/10-best-mountain-bike-helmets-2014.html/3#lMOWiJ6JBUBoEls0.99

I just wondered where I would have been without the helmet. Looking at the way it cracked it must have absorbed a lot of the shock which otherwise would have travelled into my head, brain and vertebrae.

Ideally a helmet should not crack in an impact. If it does, it normally results in a spike in g forces to your head, which is what you want to avoid.

Rather than cracking, good helmets will show a compression in the foam after an impact.

Further reading:

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-bicycle-helmet-works.html

http://www.helmets.org/liners.htm

Simple answer: The one on your head when you need it.

I am amused by people buying R80000 or even R50000 bikes but they buy the cheapest helmet they can find. Were talking about your head where some people's brains are situated and it must be protected. And a ballbox is not a helmet.  

I am amused by people buying R80000 or even R50000 bikes but they buy the cheapest helmet they can find. Were talking about your head where some people's brains are situated and it must be protected. And a ballbox is not a helmet.  

In my experience, I've never seen that. Dude or dudette who pays a top-end bike is gonna want to look the part. He'll have the R3-R5k lid. 

I recently had a bad over the handlebars incident on our local trail, after one of the wooden bridges over a fence had been vandalised. The bridge is about 1,4 m above ground, and given the height at which one rides a mountain bike, I estimate the height from which I fell, almost on top of my head could easily have been 2 m. The Giro Xar helmet obviously saved me from concussion, possible broken vertebrae, and other more serious isues. Due to the fall I am suffering from a disc protrusion which are impacting on a nerve on the C6 level.

This incident and the remark: "Buy the best helmet you can afford.", that Andrew Mclean made recently after his heavy fall, made me think:

Does Giro in SA have a crash replacement initiative?

Is it true that Giro is now owned by Bell?

I would like some of the expert hub opinions on this subject before buying my next lid please.

Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad that you are (mostly) OK.

Yes, Giro and Bell fall under the same umbrella.

I cracked my Bell helmet and did a crash replacement warranty thing with Omnico via my LBS and got a Giro helmet.

You need your proof of purchase and the warranty lasts 3 years.

My specialized helmet saved my life.  They have a replacement policy as well.  I paid 50% of the replacement.

Now I upgraded to a Bell.  I feel just as safe.

Helmets are there to protect you, regardless of brand or name. Yet, I prefer to stick to the brands that I trust and see in the pro-peloton.

And that's how it started....

Spidey you you...... trouble maker

I like this, we need more organ donors

Wait I take that back

This is where it will start for sure

You must be amused by a different thread, I couldn't see where people had posted their bikes values next to their helmet's cost, nor who was using a 'ballbox'.

I did see a very intelligent chap ask a sensible question which got some good responses tho'.

:)

Archived