Natural chain lubes

Griffin

Interesting project, what methods are you going to use to test the different lubes?

You would need something constant and repeatable.  I would set up a rig with two sprockets linked by a chain and driven by an electric motor.  Start with a new chain, let the motor run for X number of hours and then measure the chain wear.  Do a control test with no lube.  Then repeat with a new chain for each type of lube you're testing.  And maybe re-lube every Y hours?  And pour water over it (but not the electric motor for obvious reasons) after Z hours to test water repulsion??

Of course, testing the lubes by putting those chains on your bicycle would be much more fun...  :)

post-11806-0-52808300-1435228908_thumb.jpg

Most importantly, a test to see which lubes give the best chainring marks on the calf.

Points could be awarded for clarity, taste, longevity and ease to wash off your socks.

:P

While you are at it, please add Citronella oil to it, so it smells nice and keeps the bugs away.... Thank me later when they collect the Nobel prize for Natural creativity..

Umm...judging by your profile pic I am not sure its the chain thats attracting the bugs :P 

waahahaa

If not already on your list.  

Test this. 

Powasol Cherry Lube.

http://powasol.co.za/product/cherry-lube/

I am a bit worried about putting "Food grade oils" on my drive train. 

I know Klint from Powasol..not sure there are real cherries in the lube ;) 

Won't be using her or my bike for the testing ... just building a simple drive train from old/spare parts and keeping it simple :) 

Interesting project, what methods are you going to use to test the different lubes?

You would need something constant and repeatable.  I would set up a rig with two sprockets linked by a chain and driven by an electric motor.  Start with a new chain, let the motor run for X number of hours and then measure the chain wear.  Do a control test with no lube.  Then repeat with a new chain for each type of lube you're testing.  And maybe re-lube every Y hours?  And pour water over it (but not the electric motor for obvious reasons) after Z hours to test water repulsion??

Of course, testing the lubes by putting those chains on your bicycle would be much more fun...  :)

Was thinking something similar..but simpler. Not sure about using a motor to drive it. Wouldn't chainwear only be measurable/noticeable over a relatively long period of time? The chain is not under load so I would think wear would be minimal in the short term. 

Trying to think of a easy way to measure resistance vs lube ..maybe use that to judge properties. Along with durability/application/water resistance etc

attachicon.giftattooCHRG.jpg

Most importantly, a test to see which lubes give the best chainring marks on the calf.

Points could be awarded for clarity, taste, longevity and ease to wash off your socks.

:P

Don't even go there...you cant put Dad, Daughter and Tattoo in the same sentence ! :P

Umm...judging by your profile pic I am not sure its the chain thats attracting the bugs :P

waahahaa

And that's how the fight started....  :eek:  :w00t:

I think you should look avoid looking at wear on the chain. Like you said thats long term.

I'd start with a few scenarious and repeating each 3-4 times for an average.

Look at applying the lube and running the chain through

• water noting the run off.
  • mud noting the glumping and stickyness
  • sand noting grit

You can then do additional thing like weigh the chain before and after to see how much it pick up.

Smoothness of the chain i.e. grinding sounds, perceived flexibility etc.

I know it's all not very scientific but for a kids project it makes sense and you can have a bit of fun.

What about using Fish oil.... that Omega 3 stuff  the docs think is good for you...

Good luck with building a rolling resistance rig... :(

Take note: if she does too good she will pass through to the next round - more homework for all involved. I am there now... :whistling:  :whistling:

Also she will have an oral exam on her topic. Keep it simple enough.

Neccessity is the mother of invention! A few years ago we went on a mountain biking trip through rural Lesotho. All 4 of us were relative newcomers to mountain bike day tripping. After the umpteenth water crossing on day one, our chains sounded like "maervarks". None of us remembered to pack any chain lube! The inside of a banana peel provided some lube, but the best result we had was with the naartjie peels. At least it silenced the chains for a while, until we reached a small shop where we bought some cooking oil. So I guess citrus oil might be considered a natural chain lube?

Citrus oil is a natural degreaser.....but anything that reliably wets the chain, does not contain abrasive partocles and does not dry out is better than running the chain dry.

It's worse to run the chain full of muck than dry. problems develop due to over lubing the chain as it attracts dirt etc.

I ran many tests and as long as there is oil IN the rollers then all good. 

I still want to try the Fox gold 20wt oil but its darn expensive.

Maybe try Macadamia nut oil. To make it interesting I'd test all the commonly avail raw natural oils, olive/avacado/sunflower/macadamia/almond etc

Archived