On Test: Giant Reign Advanced 1

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest answer... no fecking clue. But the Spaz chainstays are STUPID short, so it should be a bit more playful. Ett on the L reign is the same as an XL enduro 26 but Spaz has a 3cm longer reach and a 2deg steeper HA.

would be very interesting to compare the 2 back to back. 2 very different bikes

Honest answer... no fecking clue. But the Spaz chainstays are STUPID short, so it should be a bit more playful. Ett on the L reign is the same as an XL enduro 26 but Spaz has a 3cm longer reach and a 2deg steeper HA.

would be very interesting to compare the 2 back to back. 2 very different bikes

They are different, but I suppose they have the same target market? I really love the Enduro, the way it looks, and rides, but I always feel that it is too much bike for me. Having never ridden a Reign, I suppose I would still have the same question. Is a well sorted Trance not enough? I am very interested to see what Spez are going to do with the 2016 Enduro, because the new Stumpy is very very close in terms of travel and geometery to the current 2015 Enduro.

That Reign is fricken good looking, and the Price is very appealing, a Carbon Enduro is R70 000, with slightly better specs, but still big money. That green is sooo nice.

They are different, but I suppose they have the same target market? I really love the Enduro, the way it looks, and rides, but I always feel that it is too much bike for me. Having never ridden a Reign, I suppose I would still have the same question. Is a well sorted Trance not enough? I am very interested to see what Spez are going to do with the 2016 Enduro, because the new Stumpy is very very close in terms of travel and geometery to the current 2015 Enduro.

That Reign is fricken good looking, and the Price is very appealing, a Carbon Enduro is R70 000, with slightly better specs, but still big money. That green is sooo nice.

i got off my XL 26 enduro and onto meyhems reign, the shorter reach made it feel like a shorter, more poppy, playful bike, but then again the suspension was set up for someone heavier than me, so i guess only having like 10% sag will do that to a bike

i got off my XL 26 enduro and onto meyhems reign, the shorter reach made it feel like a shorter, more poppy, playful bike, but then again the suspension was set up for someone heavier than me, so i guess only having like 10% sag will do that to a bike

It puts the lotion on the burn...

Is a well sorted Trance not enough? 

A well sorted Trance with Pike etc will be enough for most. I have spent a fair amount of time on both and my opinion is that if you are planning on doing proper jumps like at Black hill, bombing downhill runs or on the heavier side the extra beef on the Reign certainly makes me feel more comfortable. The Trance could definitely do it but not quite as well and you would be pushing it. Just like how the Reign would not be my choice for a very long trail ride which again, it could do just fine but the Trance would be better. :thumbup:

Remember, the 26" Enduro is a completely different bike to the new 29 and 650b versions. They're only related in name.

A well sorted Trance with Pike etc will be enough for most. I have spent a fair amount of time on both and my opinion is that if you are planning on doing proper jumps like at Black hill, bombing downhill runs or on the heavier side the extra beef on the Reign certainly makes me feel more comfortable. The Trance could definitely do it but not quite as well and you would be pushing it. Just like how the Reign would not be my choice for a very long trail ride which again, it could do just fine but the Trance would be better. :thumbup:

And... if you put a 200x57 shock on the Trance, you get 159mm travel at the rear. And it works. 

Remember, the 26" Enduro is a completely different bike to the new 29 and 650b versions. They're only related in name.

... and front triangle between the 26 and the 650, but hey, apparently that doesnt count.

he's talking about the Enduro 29... 

then 29 must actually be spelt "29 and 650b" and im in fact mistaken

Mada3400 is correct, the main frame is the same on the 26 and 650b, but it's the linkage and stays where things have changed significantly...

Sorry, I typed too quickly!

We're not dissing your bike Mada, it's a great ride, my assertion was just that you can't answer Johnny B's question about how the Enduro rides compared to the current Reign by comparing a 26" version to it. The wheel size, stays and linkage makes for a *very* different bike...

I am not a big giant fan but I do like the reigns. That blue and the yellow and blue are stunning