Re Spray by Bogus Designs

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exciting project with BogusOne at the moment. Waiting for him to work his magic and see what he can come up with. Watch this space, something similar to Patch’s Kenny Roberts tribute but this time from Bologna.

A red one?

Ive dealt with Bogus many times.  In my opinion he is great.  Take your bike to him and leave him.  He'll do the job and a pretty good one by that.  Bogus is my man!!!!

• 2 months later...

Bogus did a bike for me a long time back - before he was famous ;-)

He's a good guy.  I suspect, as with most 'artists', he would much rather be painting a bike than answering emails.  I get that he has a business to run and that is part of it - but take that into consideration.

Also, I'm not sure everyone fully grasps how long it takes to 'paint a bike'.  We are talking along the lines of weeks, not days, to turn around a single bike.  Granted, it is possible to work on a couple frames at once but on the whole, it is a long slow process.

With that in mind I suspect he may be fairly selective in the work he takes on.  When contacting him initially maybe open with a question like 'are you taking on new work and what is the current lead time? 

In my business line we often get an email along the lines of 'we have 10 days to turn around this project'  (for a project that normally has a lead time of 3 weeks and implementation time of the same duration).  These requests almost always go to the back of the line   :thumbdown:

So, in short, expect a lead time of a couple months before you can even drop the bike off.  And then be prepared to be without your bike for a month at least.  You may get it back in a week or two - bonus.  But **** happens.  People get sick.  Suppliers let you down.  Paint runs etc etc.  Anything can happen - and not necessarily with your bike.  Remember, he is probably working on a handful of frames at anyone time.  Anyone of these could need to be re-done, thus pushing your schedule back...

I get that you are paying good money to get this done.  But if you didn't think his product was worth it, then you would be going somewhere else...

As an aside, the going rate for a bike re-spray here in the USA is $650 for a single color  (no logos, names etc).  Anything with a bit of design element and you are at $900 easily.  I don't know Bogus's current rates, but when I had my bike done it was a tenth of that.

Bogus did a bike for me a long time back - before he was famous ;-)

He's a good guy.  I suspect, as with most 'artists', he would much rather be painting a bike than answering emails.  I get that he has a business to run and that is part of it - but take that into consideration.

Also, I'm not sure everyone fully grasps how long it takes to 'paint a bike'.  We are talking along the lines of weeks, not days, to turn around a single bike.  Granted, it is possible to work on a couple frames at once but on the whole, it is a long slow process.

With that in mind I suspect he may be fairly selective in the work he takes on.  When contacting him initially maybe open with a question like 'are you taking on new work and what is the current lead time? 

In my business line we often get an email along the lines of 'we have 10 days to turn around this project'  (for a project that normally has a lead time of 3 weeks and implementation time of the same duration).  These requests almost always go to the back of the line   :thumbdown:

So, in short, expect a lead time of a couple months before you can even drop the bike off.  And then be prepared to be without your bike for a month at least.  You may get it back in a week or two - bonus.  But **** happens.  People get sick.  Suppliers let you down.  Paint runs etc etc.  Anything can happen - and not necessarily with your bike.  Remember, he is probably working on a handful of frames at anyone time.  Anyone of these could need to be re-done, thus pushing your schedule back...

I get that you are paying good money to get this done.  But if you didn't think his product was worth it, then you would be going somewhere else...

As an aside, the going rate for a bike re-spray here in the USA is $650 for a single color  (no logos, names etc).  Anything with a bit of design element and you are at $900 easily.  I don't know Bogus's current rates, but when I had my bike done it was a tenth of that.

900 US is rather heavy... well converted to Banana Republic money that is...

900 US is rather heavy... well converted to Banana Republic money that is...

Even in SA, you will be paying R15k for a spray job by most of the people out there.

Even in SA, you will be paying R15k for a spray job by most of the people out there.

For some balance .... a single colour spray jobs can be had from R 2 500 (2019 rates) .... 

Some of the serious art work DO take a LOT more man-hours to complete, and would thus cost significantly more ...

Dropped my bike off at Bogus last week.

(Btw he replied to my mail within 15min)

R4500,00 for the frame. I'm a returning customer, so not sure if that's a "special price" for me, but BARGAIN!!

What are you having done, and is that a single colour please?

Dropped my bike off at Bogus last week.

(Btw he replied to my mail within 15min)

R4500,00 for the frame. I'm a returning customer, so not sure if that's a "special price" for me, but BARGAIN!!

That is very cheap, that is a returning customer price.

Others should expect to pay more than that.

That is very cheap, that is a returning customer price.

Others should expect to pay more than that.

Nooit ... he just charges you in Pounds :P

Bogus did my spray job and I could not be happier. Don't be in a hurry. If he takes on your work give the space and time to complete the job. You will not be sorry.

Had my Look KG 381 frame done. Showed him 3 pics of the Kelme Costa Blanco team bike of early 2000's and ...... Well see for yourself. As happy as a pig in mud 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186654-look-kg-381-makeover/