And then came baby...

We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with regards to this.

Basically the training went for a ball. It took me personally a while to come to grips with this. Once you do, just enjoy the time with the little one. I know it sounds cliche and I know it's not that enjoyable at 1am, up to your elbows in **** and the lightie screaming blue murder, but it is really SUCH a short period when they such tiny babies - enjoy it. Laugh off the training as you used to. You'll get back into it soon enough.

The little exercise my wife and I did get it was as a result of compromise. For example we both played league squash and I rode and she did yoga etc. When she was pregnant she (obviously) stopped playing squash but I continued for that year. Once the lightie arrived she went back to playing squash and I gave it up for that year and looked after the baby on the nights she played.

Her yoga and classes took a hit as it wasn't easy to just pop out for a class and leave the little one with the nanny when she was so small.

To continue riding I'd get the odd ride in very early and then clock in my baby time in the evening - makes for a long day but it worked.

Don't let the sleepless nights and lack of exercise get you down. This is a period in your life. It will change, sooner than you think and you guys will be back out exercising again. The biggest difference going forward is it will be tough to exercise together, so work on a support structure - get Grans and Nannys involved. We've now reached a place where we can palm the kids off and get some time to ourselves.

Approach exercise differently too - it doesn't have to be blasting down the single track. Wrap the little one up in those mommy wrap things and head out for a walk... means you all get out, lightie will most likely get some shut eye and mom gets out the house which I'm pretty sure she feels pretty trapped in at the moment.

Congrats on your bundle of joy. Enjoy it.

Thanks, nice to hear your story. It does get me down at times but you right, need to look at exercise differently and understand we wont be able to exercise together all the time.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essentially, when a baby starts crying but is already fed and watered and therefore does not need any more food / milk, and the conditions in which they are sleeping are ideal, you don't rush in to see what's wrong (a monitor with video capabilities works BRILLIANTLY here) and you leave them alone for a gradually increasing period of time. Essentially showing the kid that bed time is BED TIME, and mommy / daddy will not attend to you if it's just attention that you're looking for.

First day I think is 2 minutes, then it grows to 4 minutes the next day and then 5 or 6 on day 3.

The reason the video monitor helps is that you can SEE that they're just crying for attention, and sitting up in bed / standing on the bed. At the end of it they realise that you WILL come in, but only after a period of time and only when they have done somethign that places them at risk. Not just for the sake of attention, which is pretty much why the kids cry at night - separation...

EDIT: Adding to this - when you walk in to the room after the 2 or 3 or 5 minute period has elapsed, you put them straight back down. No hugs, no interaction, nothing. Be cold. No feeling. It'll hurt you like hell, but even if you need to change a nappy, you must display no emotion at all, and DO NOT hug / kiss / play with them. THIS IS CRUCIAL.

Eyo, that does sound a bit cruel and one can only take a crying baby for so long. I will try this and see if it works but she's a screamer..hahah

We have a 4 month old, that has had full blown colic for 3 months.  Sleep was a thing of the past when she arrived.  Only way to exercise is take it in turns.  My wife takes the baby, I head out to gym or ride for an hour or two.  And visa versa.  Its a very difficult situation but it apparently gets better.  Also make sure you diet is clean, lots of greens, fruits etc.  Energy does not only come from sleep but also what you eat.

My first one is 2.5 years now, second one due in November, with the first one I managed to get time on the bike by riding to work in the week, and longer rides early on Sunday mornings.

Be prepared to lose sleep, if you used to sleep for 5 hours or more, be prepared to have to sacrifice a couple hours of sleep if you want to ride. IDT also helps a bit if you're motivated enough, especially in winter. I also enter races to keep me motivated to train, otherwise fitness levels just get worse.

Regarding the sleep training, doesn't work for everyone, trust me, we really tried, my son refused, and he was colic, so made things even worse. But he has a strict routine, so he's never awake past 7:30, so having a routine can help you manage your training schedule as well.

Good Luck!

Shame man, I feel for you. 13 years ago ours was born and I fell into the same boat. Everything came to stop. Our son was and is still rather a sickly person. When he was younger there was not much that we could do as we were almost always at the doc or hospital. Eventually we learned to cope and like RM said take turns. But this boiled down to once a week. I was working shifts back then as well.

Today my son does everything I dont. He is a good musician and a good golfer(about the only sport we do together at times). He tried mtb, cricket (for WP), soccer (santos), mma with Ricko Hattin. The team sports stuff never worked out due to xtremely poor coaching.

But hey thats a different story. Eventually your life will get on track Good Luck enjoy the little one. Youngsters are amazing!!!!!

Thanks man. Kids change your life and she is a blessing.

We have a 4 month old, that has had full blown colic for 3 months.  Sleep was a thing of the past when she arrived.  Only way to exercise is take it in turns.  My wife takes the baby, I head out to gym or ride for an hour or two.  And visa versa.  Its a very difficult situation but it apparently gets better.  Also make sure you diet is clean, lots of greens, fruits etc.  Energy does not only come from sleep but also what you eat.

yeah, colic really stuffs it up... we didn't have any of that. 

Eyo, that does sound a bit cruel and one can only take a crying baby for so long. I will try this and see if it works but she's a screamer..hahah

yeah, it sounds cruel, and it feels cruel as well when you first try it, but it really is for everyone's benefit. If they get more sleep, you get more sleep, and everyone is happier. They must learn that sleep time is for sleeping, and the sooner they get trained into that, the better. For all of you. 

EDIT: That's not to say that if they're not sleeping all the way through, and you're still doing late night / early morning feeds, that you shouldn't pay attention to that. Just try not to wake them, and do it as quickly as possible without disturbing them. "Dream feeding" was one of the things that we utilized - wifey used to decant the decolletage when the feeding was being done, and I'd use the previous night's milk to feed little one while he was sleeping. If you do it right, they don't wake up - they just drink, and drink, and drink... 

yeah, it sounds cruel, and it feels cruel as well when you first try it, but it really is for everyone's benefit. If they get more sleep, you get more sleep, and everyone is happier. They must learn that sleep time is for sleeping, and the sooner they get trained into that, the better. For all of you.

EDIT: That's not to say that if they're not sleeping all the way through, and you're still doing late night / early morning feeds, that you shouldn't pay attention to that. Just try not to wake them, and do it as quickly as possible without disturbing them. "Dream feeding" was one of the things that we utilized - wifey used to decant the decolletage when the feeding was being done, and I'd use the previous night's milk to feed little one while he was sleeping. If you do it right, they don't wake up - they just drink, and drink, and drink...

Agreed. If she can sleep through then we can get good sleep and get up early for some exercise.

Regarding the sleep training, doesn't work for everyone, trust me, we really tried, my son refused, and he was colic, so made things even worse. But he has a strict routine, so he's never awake past 7:30, so having a routine can help you manage your training schedule as well.

Good Luck!

I dodged the colic bullet with both my kids and they are reasonably healthy. I am grateful for this.  I don't think sleep training is even worth a shot when they have colic. But all kids are different. Which is why I say, chat to the pediatrician. 

As clueless first time parents, ours helped us establish what was best for OUR kid.

We also got guidelines on working out a routine. We tweaked it a bit though.

I fully understand the OP plight. I have a son with down syndrome so teaching him to cycle will take longer.

My suggestion for cycling is as soon as the child can sit well on its own get a trailer.

One just needs to stick to cycle paths or jeep tracks.

Guaranteed to produce smiles.

Let the stronger cyclist tow and they will get a good workout keeping up with the other.

IDT :) My son is older now (5) so we play xbox, me on the IDT and him on the couch, that way i train and play :)

I'm in this same boat as OP.

1st one is now 15 Months old and 2nd is due Feb 2016. 

Week training has gone for a poop. I am terrible with self-discipline on the IDT

So I only rode on weekends and as expected the fitness declined.

Then I got sick, just better, broke collarbone, just healed enough to ride a gain, now sick again. 

Feel like I am back the square one before I started cycling. 

Gumption to get on the bike is very very low. 

my son suffered from colic among other things.

ou mense raad that works - flannel cloth with linseed oil then warm a pan the place cloth oil side on the pan to warm. Then wrap around the stomach. Almost instant relief

I'm in the same boat , have a 2 month old and its been really difficult to get regular training.

I have noticed at the road running races a lot of people with running strollers , at least you can do something together then

Archived