Cannondale (frame replacement)

Furbz

Hi all,

With only 300km of riding, my Cannondale F29 carbon 2 frame separated at the join near the cassette.

(see attached picture) the cassette should give you an idea that this bike has practically 0 wear and tear.

anyway, back to the store i bought it from i went.

2 and a half weeks later i'm informed my new frame has arrived and i can collect! exciting stuff!

sadly, it was not the same Carbon 2 frame i had before but rather the crappy matt black frame that cannondale do on their carbon 3 frames :(

yes i know technically they are the same frame bar the paint job.

but,

when i bought the bike i actually had the store bring in the colour bike i wanted from a different store.

thats how much i desperately disliked the matt black frames!

now my reason for my disliking matt black frames is you only have to look at them and the develop a scratch!

now according to cannondales warranty what they have done is in accordance with their rules.

which sadly leaves me with having to put up with a bike that no longer matches nicely :(

Omnico have said over the course of next week they will try source the same frame as what i had.

or

i can fork out R7k and get the hi-mod frame (which i really do not need and don't want to pay for)

and again the colours wont match.

my heart is broken, i truly felt i had bought from a manufacturer i could trust. instead i felt like i've been punched in the gut

post-19822-0-85091100-1438347152_thumb.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It unfortunately happens all the time: in most cases the manufacturer specifies in the warranty policy that they will replace the frame but will not guarantee what color you get...

I understand your feelings as it is not the same bike you paid for but it is the way the world works.

Specialized used to make specific warranty frames in a special color so they could track the replacement frames...

Its bad that you are struggling to get the correctly painted frame....but I thin that both Cannondale and your LBS has been very accommodating and delivered good service.

How many guys have struggled with warranties? - you got a brand new frame (same spec, only different paint, as is mentioned can happen with warranties) within 2 weeks.

Omnico (suppliers) even said they will try and source an exact paint scheme and swap you out.

they even gave you an option to upgrade for bare minimum, but that's not always a solution.

Rather take the glass half full to this one.

It unfortunately happens all the time: in most cases the manufacturer specifies in the warranty policy that they will replace the frame but will not guarantee what color you get...

I understand your feelings as it is not the same bike you paid for but it is the way the world works.

Specialized used to make specific warranty frames in a special color so they could track the replacement frames...

i believe that if a spray the matt frame to a gloss finish i loose my warranty...

really bleak

well I agree with you, if you buy a specific colour the warranty should be for that colour.... I mean they could give you a pink one under their policy..not good customer service giving you something you actually did not purchase in the first place.

Omnico is just an Agent for Cannondale in SA.

I chatted to Lionel Dippenaar from Omnico and they place orders in bulk to obtain a good price. It's difficult for them as they have to forecast what they can potentially sell.

Hence, you find yourself in a situation whereby you have to take what they have in stock.

Sorry to hear your story.

I am a massive Cannondale fan and always will be.

I totally get how and why the agents did what they did, essentially its the exact same frame apart from colour, and glad they supported you with your issue, its what one would expect from such a brand.

The issue I have is when one wants to sell this bike. Its an F29 Carbon 2 spec'd bike but has a F29 3 frame... would it affect my resale price? 

Just playing devils advocate, but something I think may potentially devalue a bike( more than used bikes already are).  

when i first bought this bike i researched and really really wanted the cannondale because the reviews are, and remain spectacular.

you would not believe the effort i went through when i first bought the bike to find the colour i wanted.

i have nothing against a black frame. 

i just really really really don't want a matt frame...

Sorry to hear your story.

I am a massive Cannondale fan and always will be.

I totally get how and why the agents did what they did, essentially its the exact same frame apart from colour, and glad they supported you with your issue, its what one would expect from such a brand.

The issue I have is when one wants to sell this bike. Its an F29 Carbon 2 spec'd bike but has a F29 3 frame... would it affect my resale price? 

Just playing devils advocate, but something I think may potentially devalue a bike( more than used bikes already are).  

i believe the frame they have supplied is the 2014 cannondale flash 3 carbon...

NOT a stunning frame.

i just really don't want to live with the hassle of a matt black frame.

• you cant touch them up quickly and easily with a little bottle of clear coat
  • you have to be careful each and every time you touch the frame so as not to scratch them. (good luck doing this after a race with your bike rack.)

i had a scott foil 40 for a short while, that thing was a nightmare to try not scratch (matt black).

i really dont want to go down this road again..

when i first bought this bike i researched and really really wanted the cannondale because the reviews are, and remain spectacular.

you would not believe the effort i went through when i first bought the bike to find the colour i wanted.

i have nothing against a black frame. 

i just really really really don't want a matt frame...

Well there's your answer - I wouldn't get your hopes up too much on there being a replacement found anywhere.

Maybe this one will also break after a few months and you will be on a different colour frame again.

I had this issue many years ago with a CAAD 3 road frame. Cannondale had massive issues late'90's early 2000 with paint that would bubble after a few months.

At one stage I went through 3 frames in 1 year..

I agree with the Matt Black, looks really nice, but doesnt stand up to daily abuse too well.

Good luck.

Either way Cannondale is a great product and you wont be disappointed in their service.

giant also makes specific warranty replacement frames.

lets assume cannondale is the ferrari of bikes.

and you ordered a red ferrari, however you end up with a  black ferrari with no option to change...

all i am saying...

I was in a similar position. My Trek Madone broke while dismounting from an IDT.

"fortunately Trek didn't accept this claim under their warranty, because the current colours are fricken ugly. (accept the new Red Madone 9).

I claimed then from the insurers who found a Madone at one of their agents, but again ugly black/ grey.

I negotiated to settle the claim in cash and bought a nice 2nd bike on the hub. Nice colours that match the rest of my gear and very similar to my previous bike. 

I did coughed up about R 4 000 extra, but I'm quite happy how things turned out.

lets assume cannondale is the ferrari of bikes.

and you ordered a red ferrari, however you end up with a  black ferrari with no option to change...

all i am saying...

well, a Ferrari of bikes won't brake after 300km of riding. Get yourself the RR of bikes.. a Spez. :whistling:  

well, a Ferrari of bikes won't brake after 300km of riding. Get yourself the RR of bikes.. a Spez. :whistling:  

What is a SPEZ???  :clap:  :clap:

Archived