Review: Onza Ibex tires

Iwan Kemp

I tend to suffer for grip on loose sandy tight turns upfront, the back doesnt misbehave. However I have since increased the pressure. Have yet to give it the full out on the same type of surface again. On hardpack its great. I just cant come to terms with the weight, but sooner or later I wont notice.

Memories of my clear Onza Porcupine grips, my Mom bought them for me when in London once -  circa 1995

Yes! I used to run them with stickers underneath for the cool factor.

How do these perform on a narrower rim? I'm thinking that the transition from the center lugs to the tall and wide side lugs is aided by the wider rim the Carbonator is. this would "square" off the tyre wouldn't it? thus making the transition smoother.

Would the same hold true on a more standard rim at 23mm wide where the tyre would adopt a rounder cross section?

How do these perform on a narrower rim? I'm thinking that the transition from the center lugs to the tall and wide side lugs is aided by the wider rim the Carbonator is. this would "square" off the tyre wouldn't it? thus making the transition smoother.

Would the same hold true on a more standard rim at 23mm wide where the tyre would adopt a rounder cross section?

I was running them on an i23 if that helps. Didn't feel any sort of vagueness in the transition. 

was running the Canis on the rear with a HRII upfront on subrossa rims - always felt that the rear didn't grip that well under braking and jumped around allot as well as felt that the sidewall was never  strong enough and eventually a rock ate my sidewall at Hakahana but makes sense now as was running very low pressures ( around 1.4 bar)

keen to try a Ibex upfront tho one day

Iwan,

Is the one you tested (FRC120) sidewalls weaker than snakeskin I presume? Would snakeskin be like the 60?