Put 650b wheels on 26inch bike

Johno

I saw Greg Minnaar on Super Cycling a while back. Santa Cruz ran a whole bunch of tests on 27.5 vs 26". There was no difference in performance. Despite of these tests SC still upgraded the V10 or should I say V8,5 to 27.5. Obviously SC will not make money out of their existing customers if they do not upgrade something.

It's all hype and BS, stick with the 26" wheels on your current bike.

If you're upgrading to a new bike, 27.5 makes sense, because parts and especially tires are easier to find.

Fully agree, I have had issues with parts, forks and tyres in particular are becoming harder to come by. have already decided that if i need a new fork i will change to 27,5" if i can`t get a 26" fork, the slight change in geometry is unlikely to cause huge problems and I would also not stress about running a 27,5 wheel on the front either. There were quiet a few succesfull 69ers out there not too long ago.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to help anyone out that want to test their bike with my front wheel. I have 15mm through axle. Will work on stock standard Fox fork

post-3366-0-56049700-1439388754_thumb.jpg

Happy to help anyone out that want to test their bike with my front wheel. I have 15mm through axle. Will work on stock standard Fox fork

attachicon.gifEllsworth.JPG

What size is your bike Borriz, as my mate could not get a 650 wheel into his L Ephiphany, or does the Truth have more space? Just interested to know.

I saw Greg Minnaar on Super Cycling a while back. Santa Cruz ran a whole bunch of tests on 27.5 vs 26". There was no difference in performance. Despite of these tests SC still upgraded the V10 or should I say V8,5 to 27.5. Obviously SC will not make money out of their existing customers if they do not upgrade something.

It's all hype and BS, stick with the 26" wheels on your current bike.

If you're upgrading to a new bike, 27.5 makes sense, because parts and especially tires are easier to find.

Shoosh. There's no place for common sense in a wheel size debate.

:ph34r:

I put 650b wheels on my Turner 5 Spot and am loving it.  I hardly ride my 29er anymore.  IMHO the raised BB is a bonus as I now hardly get any rock strikes.

post-4408-0-55823500-1439394733_thumb.jpg

What size is your bike Borriz, as my mate could not get a 650 wheel into his L Ephiphany, or does the Truth have more space? Just interested to know.

He only has the 650B on the front, still 26" at back

Its a Large as well. The limiting factor will be fork. You should be able to do this on any Fox fork I'm told. The tyre can't be too aggressive though.

I'm based in Pta. Give me a shout or PM me and we can chat further. Perhaps we can make a plan. 

My Truth has the tapered steerer 

Its a Large as well. The limiting factor will be fork. You should be able to do this on any Fox fork I'm told. The tyre can't be too aggressive though.

I'm based in Pta. Give me a shout or PM me and we can chat further. Perhaps we can make a plan.

My Truth has the tapered steerer

No worries. He hung up his 26er some time ago and rides his 29ers now.

Archived