Ironman 70.3 East London 2016

fanievb

Interesting that you are advised to taper so early.. will be interested to see your feedback after the race

The intensity is still high, the volumes have just dropped a lot. This morning as an example was a 1.5 hr bike with 6x10 min (3 min rec) race pace intervals and then 35 min race pace run. Then two days recovery workouts and then similar brick next day, and so on and so on. 

You will definitely hear my feedback after the race if it didn't go well.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last long race I did was TriRock Durban 2014 with 5150 Germiston 2015 in between.

Haven't trained as hard as in previous years but have had a swim and a run this week which have given me my confidence back. Have been riding tandem with my wife which makes you lekker strong on the bike.

Finally starting to look forward to the race. No high expectations but just a fun day in the sun with not too much pain.

Bring your suits maatjies

We would like to inform you that the sea temperature in East London has been 14 degrees celsius over the past five days. This increases the likelihood of a WETSUIT COMPULSORY swim at the Standard Bank IRONMAN 70.3 South Africa on Sunday 24 January.

We strongly recommend you bring a wetsuit along and are comfortable swimming in a wetsuit as athletes without a wetsuit will not be allowed to compete should the water temperature necessitate a wetsuit compulsory swim as per WTC race rules.

The intensity is still high, the volumes have just dropped a lot. This morning as an example was a 1.5 hr bike with 6x10 min (3 min rec) race pace intervals and then 35 min race pace run. Then two days recovery workouts and then similar brick next day, and so on and so on. 

You will definitely hear my feedback after the race if it didn't go well.

Have you done a 70.3 before or will this be your first?

If not your first will be interested to see how compares to previous and now on the structured program.

Have you done a 70.3 before or will this be your first?

If not your first will be interested to see how compares to previous and now on the structured program.

This will be my 5th and the first time I have used this program so hopefully there will be an improvement.

This will be my 5th and the first time I have used this program so hopefully there will be an improvement.

Then your results and feedback will be most interesting.

Looking forward to taking on seas of Orient Beach, the rolling hills of the N2, and the brutal Bunker's Hill again this year!  

Dropped a pin on Windguru on the N2 to gauge the wind on the bike route a bit better...I know...it's a bit early  :P

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=580392&sty=m_spot

Enjoy taper week! 

Probably going to be about the same as every day for the last few months... windy as heck.

Also very interested in the feedback

Probably going to be about the same as every day for the last few months... windy as heck.

Let's pray for a West ????

You doing it Fanie?

Yip.

My second 70.3

After Dbn I skeemed why not try the event in my backyard. (must say it feels weird not being involved behind the scenes)

I don't understand how the water temp. in East London is 14 degrees? Thats seriously cold. I googled the historic sea temp. for EL and it is normally a minimum of 23 deg. and around 24,4 deg avg. 

Anyone actually in EL that can confirm you're experiencing water this cold?

post-58662-0-31021500-1452756343_thumb.pngpost-58662-0-84355400-1452756351_thumb.png

In the five years I have been at the event  (four as a competitor), the temp has never been close to 23 deg. Mostly in the very high teens, 2011 was just over 14 degrees (not wetsuit compulsory). A very few swam without and came out blue like a Smurf.

The rules have since changed. Wetsuit compulsory kicks in at 16 degrees now.

I don't understand how the water temp. in East London is 14 degrees? Thats seriously cold. I googled the historic sea temp. for EL and it is normally a minimum of 23 deg. and around 24,4 deg avg. 

Anyone actually in EL that can confirm you're experiencing water this cold?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-01-14 at 9.23.44 AM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-01-14 at 9.20.31 AM.png

we've had an easterly blowing for some time now, which makes the water cold, as soon as the wind turns west the temp will start increasing.

Christmas and New Years day the temp was 13deg.

the current forecast is for the East to continue, so lets hope it changes west as this means,

1. a relatively flat swim

2. an easier cycle (tailwind coming back)

Archived