ScottCM

technically not...but my mate met me at top of lynfield park and rode with me all the way to the top of little polly's...incredibly motivational at that point in the up run!

So what is the best way for supporters to stay close to runners

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the best way for supporters to stay close to runners

down run there are plenty of places to meet runners...along the route...they must just be prepared to deal with traffic....if you have a mate with a bike he/she can pretty much navigate most of the course on bike

you 100% sure its a stress fracture? I had incredible pain in my foot which i though was a stress fracture...but turned out being just a very tight lateral band....even after basically three months rest it was still sore...so I just decided bugger it..and started running again and its actually fine..still tight if do intense workout on my left hip flexor...but it goes away quick enough

Yea I had it xrayed and what not. I'll give it another month and then mabey go see the doc again.

Personally I feel that starting off with a good riding history is very beneficial for the follow reasons :

The low impact has prob made your muscle system stronger - thus minimizing your risk of injury - compared to a non athlete.

You already have the `motor` and fitness base so its easier to start building a run base.

You know what its like to suffer, and how far you can push yourself.

Your spouse will think it is fantastic that you are home more - running vs cycling training times.

Been training actively for running for a month now. Training for the Addo Elephant 100 Miler (160km).The run training and losing a few kilos is paying off. Got a 10.8km route with lots of long drags that I like to nail every so often to see how the fitness is going. Best time I ever got was when I was at my fittest during IM training earlier this year, 51:50 and that still required a big effort. Always thought that if I could break 50 minutes that would be a sign that my running is in good shape. Did it yesterday in 48:16.

What is needed to enter Comrades?

Funny how running helps cycling but cycling does little for running. Cycle once a week now, and still made it to the top of a local hill 1st on Saturday.

Been training actively for running for a month now. Training for the Addo Elephant 100 Miler (160km).The run training and losing a few kilos is paying off. Got a 10.8km route with lots of long drags that I like to nail every so often to see how the fitness is going. Best time I ever got was when I was at my fittest during IM training earlier this year, 51:50 and that still required a big effort. Always thought that if I could break 50 minutes that would be a sign that my running is in good shape. Did it yesterday in 48:16.

What is needed to enter Comrades?

Funny how running helps cycling but cycling does little for running. Cycle once a week now, and still made it to the top of a local hill 1st on Saturday.

http://comrades.com/marathoncentre/race-information

so anyone clued up about heart rates...my heart rate is extremely high at the moment. Half Marathon on Sunday I averaged 171...this mornings run I averaged 162....I am in the middle of a bit off a stressful decision...does stress effect your heart rate by that much?

Never underestimate the impact of stress on you system.

Know it, deal with it, respect it and work around it.

Some times a day of `playing` on the bike can do wonders - don't try and run it out.

Find something that can act as an emotional `valve` without hurting the body!

Sorry didn't realise there was a Result Slot in there

Cool Race, tough first and last 10s but pretty Blitz in between, super well organised..

I heard from quite a few runners that the organisation was second to none. Everyone raved about all aspects about it.

PS: Congrats on that time (A batch starting pen for Comrades), its extremely impressive. So your qualifier is now done, or was it already done and this just for the fun or seeding improvement?

so anyone clued up about heart rates...my heart rate is extremely high at the moment. Half Marathon on Sunday I averaged 171...this mornings run I averaged 162....I am in the middle of a bit off a stressful decision...does stress effect your heart rate by that much?

Definitely stress related. Whether conscious about the stress or not it is a horrible thing on the heart.

I heard from quite a few runners that the organisation was second to none. Everyone raved about all aspects about it.

PS: Congrats on that time (A batch starting pen for Comrades), its extremely impressive. So your qualifier is now done, or was it already done and this just for the fun or seeding improvement?

Thanks,

Yep Great Race... Takes it toll on the Legs with the steep downs but quite easy on the HR until the last 10kms.

I had done a 2h47.19 at CT Marathon as my qualifier, didn't actually want to go that quick on Saturday but got caught up with a nice little bunch and before I knew it we were on track for sub2.50 with 15 to go so had to chase the PB.

I track my HR very religiously , although only after a session and never during (run to feel and check and analyse the stats later)

The actual Figures of 171 during a race and 162 with your recovery run don't say that much compared to anyone else.. its a very personal thing and doesn't necessarily mean one is fitter than the other or in better shape than the others.

you need to compare those stats with a similar race you have done in the past at the same effort and the recovery run there after..

If they are Out by more than10 beats at similar efforts then it does show a sign of Impending illness, possible stress or even a lack of recovery...

Track your waking HR, if its over 10 beats out from the norm, take a rest day, or an easy day... until its back to normal...

My Waking HR may be 41 when someone else's is 61...  so only compare your stats against yourself..

Short answer... Yes Stress can play a big part in your HR stats..

My Resting is about 36. Equivalent marathon I usually avg about 158 - 160 so its 10 up....but....that's normally at 5min/k wheras I ran this at 4:40/k so that will definitely increase it. Have little itch in the throat and added to the stress might well explain it. Today wasnt really a recovery run per se...will do a slow one on thursday

this body of ours has a way of telling us when we need to tap back