MTO Trails - Jonkershoek (an update on Jonkershoek)

BobbyBehan

Wow that is something to look forward to.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Sanparks could come on board like that and let the Tokai MTB team work their magic 

Doesn't it come down to one area needs to be managed for multiple uses (beyond MTB) and conservation (SANparks) vs a company that makes nothing off the area until there is harvest?

Oversimplifying it a bit, and SANparks do get bogged down with red tape, but I do understand the need to be more cautious on their part than MTO who have a short(er) term lease.

Frustrating for those who just want to ride and its no longer on their doorstep!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't it come down to one area needs to be managed for multiple uses (beyond MTB) and conservation (SANparks) vs a company that makes nothing off the area until there is harvest?

Oversimplifying it a bit, and SANparks do get bogged down with red tape, but I do understand the need to be more cautious on their part than MTO who have a short(er) term lease.

Frustrating for those who just want to ride and its no longer on their doorstep!

That's a large part of it, yes. 

Again, I cannot express how happy this made me. Between the prospect of an EVEN BETTER trail network in Jonkers AND the new watering holes in town I can even forget about and look past all the break ins and other crime we've been having lately in Stellies.

Whats this mean for current permit holders? I am all for Upgrades sounds incredible! Cant wait to try it out!

On the SANP thing. SANP are state controlled and obliged to operate in terms of more than one Act and various regulations. The Acts and regs create red tape that the SANP have little incentive to work through quickly or efficiently. its called covering your bum, and understandable I guess. Tokai will rise again, but until then, damn, but Jonkers will be good. That family membership is not too shabby even though its miles to drive for us.

Thanks for the update!

Now if only that Paintball Passion could get involved. I mean, I'd happily go and shoot some protesters who tries to vandalise the buildings at the gate - given all proceeds go towards MTO of course...  :ph34r:

edit: grammar'ed

Edited by Koei

Hi All

just a quick update on the history of MTO and who we are. MTO or Mountain-to-Ocean was established as company when Safcol was selling off the plantations in the 90's. long story short but Cape Sawmills then won the tender to manage MTO and Cape Pine was formed.  our shareholding has changed and we have aquired plantations in Mpumulanga so we are reverting to MTO and our new branding is on its way!

Mod note:

Lets keep this to Jonkershoek and leave the discussion on the management of Tokai to other discussions.

Please add: Lets keep any Spez hate or branding rants tothe appropriate forums :ph34r:

This is the most amazing news that I have received in a very long time.

Looks like our move back to Paarl 2 years ago is paying dividends.  I am within 30km of Jonkers, Welvanpas, Taalmonument, Rhebokskloof, Cascades, Bottelary Hills, Coetzenburg-Eden.  With the planned upgrades that equates to more than 300km of the country's best trails. 

Yup.  Life can't get much better. 

Hi Bobby, thanks for the update. The fees seem fair for the amount of work.

I do though believe that at some point, the management of MTO needs to go on a trip to Whistler and Rotorua and other world class bike parks to see what is possible.

There is so much potential for Jonkershoek to be a world class bike park with extensive trails, lifts (even in buses e.g. Rotorua), bike services, a small bike shop selling consumables, and so forth. Knowing forestry economics, they could probably make more off bikes than timber.

Thanks for your feedback. Essentially this is why we are partnering with MTO and assisting them in running Jonkershoek. The team have a vast depth of international trail destination knowledge and exposure. This past year I for example have spent time riding at both Campus and Demo Forest in Santa Cruz, Mendocino in Northern California, Leogang in Austria, Wicklow in Ireland etc. In years past have been to Whistler and Rotorua. If you think of Christoph Sauser he has pretty much ridden everywhere. We'll also speak with people not mentioned on the list who have so much experience. Gary Perkin is a great example. There's almost nowhere worth mentioning that he has not experienced (as I type he is en-route to the Chilcotin Mountains in BC). 

We will start simple; build awesome and varied trails with excellent signage. Thereafter we will further develop this.

If I read that grading map correctly: four black trails? 

I just can't deal. 

Yes the plan is for four black trails. Each trail head will have a variety of trails stemming from them (3 trail heads x 3 black trails), plus there's the existing downhill track.

Thanks for your feedback. Essentially this is why we are partnering with MTO and assisting them in running Jonkershoek. The team have a vast depth of international trail destination knowledge and exposure. This past year I for example have spent time riding at both Campus and Demo Forest in Santa Cruz, Mendocino in Northern California, Leogang in Austria, Wicklow in Ireland etc. In years past have been to Whistler and Rotorua. If you think of Christoph Sauser he has pretty much ridden everywhere. We'll also speak with people not mentioned on the list who have so much experience. Gary Perkin is a great example. There's almost nowhere worth mentioning that he has not experienced (as I type he is en-route to the Chilcotin Mountains in BC). 

We will start simple; build awesome and varied trails with excellent signage. Thereafter we will further develop this.

All I can say is Thank you!!!

Whats this mean for current permit holders? I am all for Upgrades sounds incredible! Cant wait to try it out!

My belief is that current permit holders will continue as is until expiry, but this is to be discussed.

Yes the plan is for four black trails. Each trail head will have a variety of trails stemming from them (3 trail heads x 3 black trails), plus there's the existing downhill track.

I just had an accident. In my pants.