Review your dropper: A guide for buyers.

Raydek

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the forca is 110mm drop

Really. Cool. I'm not sure. the packaging isn't that descriptive. All the instructions are in german. Fortunately it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Q1. Make/Model (year if known): 

A1. 2015 Giant Contact SL Stealth

Q2. How long have you had it:

A2. 1 year

Q3. Price (new):

A3. Was included in bike but I think its about R2500

Q4. Drop (mm) and fixed or unlimited heights, mechanical or hydraulic:

A4. 100mm

Q5. Yearly running cost (approx):

A5. 0

Q6. Reliability 1 to 5 (5 excellent, 1 poor):

A6. 5

Rock solid. Looks amazing in stealth. A am on the tall side so would like 150mm (there is a 2016 150mm now)

A1. 2015 Giant Contact SL Stealth

A2. 1 year

Q3. Price (new):

A3. Was included in bike but I think its about R2500

A4. 100mm

A5. 0

A6. 5

Rock solid. Looks amazing in stealth. A am on the tall side so would like 150mm (there is a 2016 150mm now)

Also patiently awaiting the 150 drop one....

• 1 month later...

A1. 2016 Giant Contact SL

A2. 1 Week

Q3. Price (new):

A3. R2525

A4. 150mm unlimited, gas lift...

A5. N/A

A6. Will update in the long term.

Q7. Picture (if possible):

A7. Below..

Some handy info if you are considering buying:

Only diameter it comes in it 30.9mm

It comes in three lengths/drops.. 350mm/100mm drop, 395mm/125mm drop, 440mm/150mm drop..

The 150mm drop that I have has a minimum inserted height (bottom of dust collar to seat rail clamp) of 200mm.

It can accommodate 7mm alloy and 9mm composite seat rails.

If you have a 2015 model, the cable/lever is identical, so no need to route the new cable, just swop the posts out.

post-49286-1444976159,8764.jpg

A1. Fox DOSS 2013 or 2014

A2. 4 months

Q3. Price (new):

A3. n/a

A4. 40mm / 125mm

A5. 0

A6. 5

A7.

Notes:

Weaknesses:Ugly massive lever, and the seat will kick you in the nuts when you pull it, even when running lowest possible pressure, slight play on the post.

Strengths: Works flawlessly, looks great (par the lever), light, you don't notice the play when you ride the bike.

post-2231-0-51222000-1444976488_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

So just an update on my 2016 dropper...

Noticed this chafe mark after a ride, by the end of the next ride it was deep enough to hook a fingernail into, sent it back to Giant today, will see what happens.

post-49286-1448278572,5995.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a chart to help would be buyers on deciding what length dropper post to get. The measurements help establish if a post will fit your frame and offer the correct saddle height. It helped me!

post-62450-0-59426800-1449656249_thumb.png

A1. Forca

A2. 5 months

Q3. Price (new):

A3. R1900

A4. 110mm, three height settings, mechanical

A5. Nothing as far as I know

A6. 4

You'll need to reduce the length of the cable when you get it but that's a pretty easy hack. The main area of attention is getting the cable tension right. Once you've dialled it in (also pretty easy) the seat activates well. I replaced the internal cable with a high quality derailleur cable and hose when I installed it, just to be sure. I had to hack the bulb end with a Dremel to get it to fit but it only took a few minutes.

I like the three height settings as opposed to unlimited since I know exactly where I want the seat for different sections of trail. The middle position is especially handy for enduro. Activating the drop and rise takes a bit of getting used to as you have to give it a bump with your arse at the same time as pulling the lever to release it. This is inadvertently a safety mechanism though since it prevents you getting punched in the spuds when you're raising the seat. But the feel is nice and industrial with a solid click telling you it's in place.

I find that before each ride I need to adjust the cable tension a bit but again that's pretty easy with the tensioner on the hose. The seat has developed a bit of rotational play but this is only prevalent when it's lowered, which doesn't bother me since I'm generally not sitting on it unless it's raised. All in all, for R1900 bucks it's a decent deal. The amount of drop is perfect, I can't imagine needing anything more. And it's availability in 27.2mm is handy for those of us with redundant spec bikes.

A1.

A2.

Q3. Price (new):

A3.

A4.

A5.

A6.

A7.

Q1. Make/Model (year if known): A1. Specialized Command Post x 2 125 and 100 (if I remember correctly ) Q2. How long have you had it:A2. 3 years and the second 3 weeks. Q3. Price (new):A3. R3000 and R2500 (second one was old stock I found at a local bike store). Q4. Drop (mm) and fixed or unlimited heights, mechanical or hydraulic:A4. 125mm and 100, 3 position drop. It cable actuated with external routing. I really like the 3 positions as you always know exactly where the seat will be when dropped. Q5. Yearly running cost (approx):A5. Only serviced the one on my bike, been serviced twice, R1300 and R1100 (getting it back today from the service). Q6. Reliability 1 to 5 (5 excellent, 1 poor):A6. 5 Q7. Picture (if possible):A7.

post-44068-0-76245100-1449663454_thumb.jpg

Maybe add the weight to your review matrix.

Dropper posts are great but light dropper posts are even better :)

• 4 weeks later...

So just an update on my 2016 dropper...

Noticed this chafe mark after a ride, by the end of the next ride it was deep enough to hook a fingernail into, sent it back to Giant today, will see what happens.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1448278567.119903.jpg

A further update on this...

Giant replaced the post a few days after the above post... Yay... BUT....

After riding this weekend I have noticed the exact same chafe on the exact same spot on the new post... Not yay.. so seems there may be a generic fault with some of these.

Back to Giant to see what they say.

A further update on this...

Giant replaced the post a few days after the above post... Yay... BUT....

After riding this weekend I have noticed the exact same chafe on the exact same spot on the new post... Not yay.. so seems there may be a generic fault with some of these.

Back to Giant to see what they say.

Just a long shot, perhaps your seatpost clamp is too tight and that's pressing some internal part onto the shaft, maybe the post is very susceptible to the clamp force?

A1. Giant Contact SL Switch (Internal or external routing) 2014 - 2015 model

A2. 2 Weeks

Q3. Price (new):

A3. I think around R2300, but bought new for R1800

A4. unlimited adjustment up to 100mm - air spring & oil bath cartridge

A5. 0

A6. 5 

A7. Will post pic of actual dropper post later.

post-5144-0-34471200-1451903567_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that this giant seatpost is a winner based on the reviews, price and mechanical actuator

I have been contemplating the forco for simplicity but this giant seems like a better option.

Does anyone have any long term review on the giant?

It seems that this giant seatpost is a winner based on the reviews, price and mechanical actuator

I have been contemplating the forco for simplicity but this giant seems like a better option.

Does anyone have any long term review on the giant?

Yeah it is decent.

Don't think there will be any long term reviews at this stage as it has only been available for a few months.

Other than the scratching stanchion issue I have had on two separate post (which doesn't affect the working of the post at all), all is good.

Archived