Do-it-all Road Wheels

88Sprocket

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on which road wheelset would best suit me as a rider.

Background: I've been using an entry level shimano wheelset for the past 7 years and would like to replace them with something a bit better. I'm a light rider @ 65kg's, enjoy climbs and am weak on the flats.

I'm looking at the second hand market (around R4500) and am keen on either:

post-18487-0-35477900-1442833375_thumb.jpg

post-18487-0-78406100-1442833374_thumb.jpg

I will be using these wheels for training and racing. I only race a couple of times a year and can't justify 2 wheelsets.

Will the aero profile of the AC improve my riding on the flats? Does anyone have experience with both of these wheels? What is the quality like of the two brands?

Any advice is welcome :)

Aeros... don't let fake carbon wrapped things fool you. I've run mine for 3 years without an issue. they were originally for racing because but I never bothered to take them off and now I have them for training and racing while hunt for some magnesiums. 

The AMCs are such an underrated wheel, light, strong, won't send you across the road when it blows and roll very, very fast. Maintenance is simple and you'll not have to shell out on manufacturer specific spokes if you break one and 11sp compatible. 

Evo bikes have a specials on them. 

I'm loving My Ksyrium Elite S's. Had it for around 6 months & very impressed with it. Definitely better than the Shimano R500's I started with ;)

Have a set of Aksiums that are pretty good in my novice opinion. Would love to test a set of higher end wheels to get a better idea of what difference they actually make before throwing cash at some.

I recently upgraded my MTB rims from crappy Alex rims to hand built WTB i23s and went tubeless at the same time, and the difference there is night and day, but do you notice that big a difference on road bikes where you're not constantly accelerating like with mtb trail riding?

I would take a new set of Aksiums over a second hand set of Ksyriums.  Good spoke tension, light enough and easy to get parts.  That said wheel choice is a very personal thing.  If you have your heart set on something get it!  My advice stay away from patented spokes (Ksyriums), weired spoke patterns (AMC above) and low spoke counts.

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys! It seems the Mavics are the more popular/used wheelset.

If anyone else comes across this thread, please feel free to share your input.

You never know what the previous owner did to his wheels. Also, as stated above, stay away from proprietary components if you can. this makes maintenance much easier in future.

My advice would be to have some wheels hand built.

for example: Mavic Open Pro or Velocity Fusion rims laced to some Shimano Ultegra or Novatec hubs with double butted spokes and brass nipples. This kind of build will come in at or below your budget of R4500 and will last you forever.

http://www.velocityusa.com/images/made/files/uploads/2700M_1_450_450.jpg

http://www.excelsports.com/assets/gallery/102596-1.jpg