Nissan Trailseeker #4 Hakahana

corriekuilder

it wassss hotttttttttt .... very hot .... first time I ever thought I may be heading for de-hydration ..

Yes, on the descent ... some falls ... 

Maybe I was lucky ; chap in front warned me slippery ...I was about to ride it, but then I got off ... dude behind came past me, and ended in the bushes ...

i Walked down , found another rider down near the bottom ... He Had support from friends ...Later  saw the ambulance heading that way .. hopefully all good ... and all injured today are  ready for the next event ...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a haka kaka *** race. So much of walking. Definitely not doing it again

Marathon came in at 54km

I said this last year. But today I realised just how true it is....

The only thing that prepares you for Hakahana, is Hakahana. Such a unique challenge.

Well that certainly cleared up the debate of whether I am a dirt roadie or mtb'er!

Not sure I understood the logic of much of the route - can't believe even A batch are able to ride it all which means anyone behind will be walking. I am guessing that I must have walked at least 10% of the total distance

Huge bunches of guys also took a big shortcut after going over the mountain by skipping the 1-2km loop of to the right and just bombing straight

It was very technical and glad they made it shorter - I will take this over a day in the office any day even with the walking - ADVENTURE galore

I enjoyed the race, it was exactly what I expected. Hot, rocky, lots of climbing and a bit of hike a bike.

Half Marathon was very good (even though we hit 38C at the end somewhere).

Started in E and the first walking was the wooden bridge over the fence, but have to add that it seems some guy got hurt very badly (not sure if it was a broken wrist or something). Some of the rocky steep (up or down) bits seems to have scared a lot of riders who dismounted and walked, we just waited a couple of seconds to ride (and then I also made a couple of mistakes on some of the steep up bits and had to dismount right in the middle in front of other riders).

Not complaining of the short 32km (think it was a good call to make it shorter).

Also stoked that I got it done in just under 2 hours (even with stopping at both waterpoints)

prefix "haka". Meaning: intimidation, fear etc. hike a bike galore. Good training for w2w im so glad it was shorter than 61km. I did 4h30. Super tough. Advendurance this is the second race in a row (dullstroom) that water points are under equipped and run out. Last year you even had ice at water points at some raceS. Pull up your (red nissan) socks your rep is slipping here.

prefix "haka". Meaning: intimidation, fear etc. hike a bike galore. Good training for w2w im so glad it was shorter than 61km. I did 4h30. Super tough. Advendurance this is the second race in a row (dullstroom) that water points are under equipped and run out. Last year you even had ice at water points at some raceS. Pull up your (red nissan) socks your rep is slipping here.

The Half had 2 water points, both shared with the Marathon. I suspect the last one on your route (which is a shared one) is probably the busiest and the Half Marathon guys probably emptied it out before you got there (sorry...), but I think they need to be better stocked to cope with the amount of riders and the heat.

What a lekker race I could not ride all of it as I found some of the climbs too steep enjoyed the descents though. Rode 80% of Bunny Chow ( I think that's what the steep descent is called)until I stuck my handle bar into the back of a walker who stepped onto the line. Had an OTB right there and I got some nice bruises and scratches ( Hakahana Tattoos) to remind me to respect the rough stuff. Finished 4;05 and I did not hear one complaint of the shortened course at the end.

So, warriormtb, how many dirt roadies did you embarrass with your god-like technical skills?

Don't be shy, put up your time so we can see!

Were your prayers for riders to part like the red sea for you, answered?

Well Sias... That race schooled me big time. Those climbs were brutal to say the least and I got passed like crazy on the ups but did get my own back on the downs. Dont know where you got the idea I wanted to embarrass people, or that I think I am godlike. I have said it before and I will say it again... I am not the best rider but I can hold my own on the technical.

And yes, my prayers were answered, there was no need for this so called "parting of the seas"... The climbs thinned out the crowds nicely and all the guys were extremely cool on the trails today, no walking in the middle of the path...everyone considered eachother, myslef included, I got out the way for many a rider to pass on both climbs and technical.

Can see some of the haka locals were there, picking what seems to be a crazy line but just blasting and getting so much speed out of it... Bloody amazing! Followed a couple of riders on their lines and was amazed at what I learnt.

So here is to an awesome race! Tough as hell but so much fun! And a massive thanks to everyone who Rode today and made it awesome by just being considerate to eachother.

(BTW...finished around the 2hr mark somewhere, like I said, hills killed me but the downs made up for it. Time to get hill training again...)

Did the half and then road the 20km with wife and oldest son. Grandad road with the youngest son on the 10km. Awesome day out. Much fun in the soaring heat!! I had gearbox issues from 10km, tried to fix it a few times but no luck. Got to the second water point and I saw a bike stand with I think was "torque zone" guys?? What awesome service!! Better than what I get at my LBS I recon. They put my bike in the stand, not before wrapping cloth around the carbon frame, sorted out the gears and then even lubed the chain. I get like a pro. Who can I contact to pay a huge compliment??

Very hot, but the Black Widow Stout made up for it afterwards!

(I had to walk twice! Those hills were too much!)

Great race. Nice and tough. Johan really has done a great job on those trails.

So provisional results are out. Many G and H batch in under 3:30. I know of 3 who I saw cut across at the top of the mountain before going over and joining again at the top of the long climb. They did not DNF but are on the "scoresheet". Their history times are a give away. I have their numbers.

What is the consensus on reporting these people? So not cool. The woman even came past on the last portion of that long climb shouting at us to keep left as she sped past. (Pity she didn't climb the whole bloody thing)

Archived