Review: Darkhorse DH29 Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels

Matt

The comments here have taught me again, that:

• The Bikehubbers are all experts on everything
  • Nothing is good enough for average riders
  • They are smarter than manufacturers with more engineering experience 

Or maybe some of us just read and research as much as possible, combining reviews, other forum opinions, expert opinion (riders, manufacturers, design & product engineers etc) and personal experience so that the opinions formed are educated to a point higher than someone who just sees "wheels for R 16,000" without actually looking into it at all?

Like someone reading the headlines only, and not the actual article... You can't form an educated opinion on headlines. 

Who is to say what people can and cannot buy, regardless of their skill level? That's like V12Man being told he's not good enough to buy an s-works. Codswallop. 

I know that certain people on here (me included) may come across as "know-it-all's" - but there's a reason for that. If we don't know about something, we look into it. We research. Form opinions based on fact and research performed by people MUCH more intelligent than us, or by people who have spent much more time and effort in a certain field than us. We then use that new knowledge and pass it on, and challenge anyone who says that it's a bunch of gumpf and "has no benefit over XYZ" based on their gut feelings...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something really bugs me here.

If you're not a sponsored pro, who in their right mind cashes in 11k on a snazzy wheel set just because it "feels stiffer"?

Don't tell me "because it's lighter and will make me faster", then you need to invest some time in actually learning to ride your bicycle - especially technical riding - rather than (futilely) throwing money at your slow issues.

Don't let it bug you too much....

As I say to my kids: the best thing in life is to have Choices.

The guys that are going to drop R16k - R40k on a set of wheels, have either saved long and hard; or didn't, yet believe or hope it will improve their riding.

I too was sceptical of the benefits. 2 months ago replaced Mavic Slr's with Carbon Rovals, and if nothing else, the steering precision is immediately noticeable, followed with the lateral stiffness of the wheel. It feels like you are carving corners as opposed to going round them.

Over time, its small improvements in your ride or kit, that improve the ride, in leaps & bounds.

Or maybe some of us just read and research as much as possible, combining reviews, other forum opinions, expert opinion (riders, manufacturers, design & product engineers etc) and personal experience so that the opinions formed are educated to a point higher than someone who just sees "wheels for R 16,000" without actually looking into it at all?

Like someone reading the headlines only, and not the actual article... You can't form an educated opinion on headlines. 

Who is to say what people can and cannot buy, regardless of their skill level? That's like V12Man being told he's not good enough to buy an s-works. Codswallop. 

I know that certain people on here (me included) may come across as "know-it-all's" - but there's a reason for that. If we don't know about something, we look into it. We research. Form opinions based on fact and research performed by people MUCH more intelligent than us, or by people who have spent much more time and effort in a certain field than us. We then use that new knowledge and pass it on, and challenge anyone who says that it's a bunch of gumpf and "has no benefit over XYZ" based on their gut feelings...

Nough said!

Do you really notice a difference between an entry level wheel like Mavic Aksiums and a R12k set of Dark Horse carbon wheels? Understandably strangers wouldn't be keen to let me take their set for a spin and I don't have any close friends with sets to try and I'm not dropping that much on something that may not actually improve my experience.

It transforms your whole bike! i had Zipp 404 wheels on my Scott RC1 many years ago and sold them as I wasn't racing anymore. I bought Mavic Aksiums and it was like riding a post office bicycle.

A good set of carbon wheels - note that I said a good set -  is much, much lighter, has way better acceleration and handling, and looks way better  :ph34r: . No comparison...

• 4 years later...

What inner size on dark horse carbon rims will suit my scott rc 900 bike.

Im running 25 mm inner and would like to go a little wider