Bold prediction for the day...:

Quintana to attack with 3km to go... MainCheese the only one to latch on... they work together for time gains and Quintana sits in Yellow, Maincheese in White, but the stage goes to Tekleheimenot from the breakaway....

Hey, it can happen... :whistling:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not be able to stand or half smile..good job

it was a 120km round trip from Nyons and a sufferfest from Bedoin to the top...with a hairy descent back to Malaucern.. my carbon brake pads were finished !!!... but would do it again tomorrow if had the opportunity :)

The Bedoin Route 

The ascent from Bedoin is the classic way up the mountain. The length of the climb from Bedoin at 300m asl to the summit at 1912m is 21.5km . This gives an elevation of 1612m and an average gradient of 7.5%. This doesn't sound too bad but when you break the climb down into its 3 obvious sections it paints a different picture. Please click here to download a .pdf file of the route profile.

From Bedoin at 300m it is 5.5km to St. Esteve at 541m. This gives an elevation of 241m and an average gradient of just 4.4%. 

So why the bad reputation? Well, the next section, the infamous forest has the answer. From St. Esteve at 541m it is 9.5km to Chalet Reynard at 1417m. This gives an average gradient of over 9% for the whole of this section. It is also worth remembrering that this 9% is not constant as there are a few sections as low a 7% and many over 11% and 12%.

The last 6km from Chalet Reynard are much easier than the forest section but also much more exposed and weather dependent. This section has the reputation of being very windy. However it works both ways and quite often a nice tail wind will help you to the top. As you leave Chalet Reynard you have a short steep section but as you round the first bend there is a noticeable drop in gradient with an average of approximately 7% for the next 4.5km. If you are very lucky you will have a tail wind and it will be possible to fly up this part of the climb. If you are unlucky you will be battling into the wind all the way to the top and it will feel like 12% again. The last 1500m from the Simpson Memorial are steep again at 10% but by this time you won't really care. 

http://www.veloventoux.com/?c=montVentoux

I expect attacks if any to start at the forrest section

I was only ever worried about any Afrikaans if she used Chris and 'Nairo' in the same sentence in the past. But Mr Vroom is winning her over.

:eek: :eek: :eek: That's would have been horrifying!!!!!!!!!!!

Froome is riding really really well! Definitely winning new fans over.

Well this explains a fair bit actually including the use of, dare I say it, Afrikaans words. :whistling:

Hey where is the Gen love..shees.. tough crowd today[emoji6]

So am already and excited for the race today as will be reminiscing and reliving every pedal stroke up Ventoux having ridden up the exact same route in September last year!!  :clap:  :D

Chalet Reynard - today's finish

attachicon.gifVentoux1.jpg

At the summit of Ventoux

attachicon.gifVentoux2.jpg

attachicon.gifventoux3.jpg

what is the one where you do it from all 3 sides in  day ?

what is the one where you do it from all 3 sides in  day ?

Yes you can do Ventoux from 3 sides in a day, normally:

Up from Malaucene

Down to Bedoin

Back up Bedoin route (what TdF is doing today)

Down Sault (which is the shortest and easiest)

Back up Sault route

Finally back down to Malaucene

Hey where is the Gen love..shees.. tough crowd today[emoji6]

In green, in France and racing his way to Mont Ventoux! :whistling: :ninja:

Don't worry we still love you Gen!

Navarro or Daniel Teklamhymenought

can we say DT for short ? Cause if I try type that i might see nought.

Serge Pauwels isn't a bad climber either. If this break holds its advantage up Ventoux it's going to be one of those three winning it. Hoping it's Danny T's day!

mmmm okay, just wondered if de gendt wont be included

include Serge as well

Archived