• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I haven't watched any cycling events, like ever, and thinking of following this as my first. Any advice on what to read to understand how it all works?

Watch the race, listen to the commentators and follow this thread. All will become clear.

If you have any questions, ask away and we will answer as best we can whilst also mocking you. It's what we do best.

;-)

Edited by Bonus

So I haven't watched any cycling events, like ever, and thinking of following this as my first. Any advice on what to read to understand how it all works?

Erm.. if we get the same broadcast as always with Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin I would just suggest you ignore what they have to say..[emoji6]

Good place is right here.. some very knowledgeable Roadies on here.. (not me of course) cause I only have eyes for Sagan so I don't pay enough attention to the GC race[emoji12]

I would suggest you also Watch the spring classics. . It all just so much more entertaining.. also the Giro is before the TDF.. always great racing there.

By the time the TDF comes along you will know exactly what's going on

Oh and Play the fantasy league with us.. if anything it's great fun and even some local bragging rights...

PS.. I still thank Pinot every time I put that helmet on.

Edited by Gen

He only weighs like 70kg on that 1.86m frame of his

Vincenzo Nibali weighs 65kg's, Chris Froome weighs 67,5kg's and AC weighs a whopping 62kg's. Tommy has a few kg's spare it seems. It could make a difference to his chances, especially now that he knows he can compete.

Vincenzo Nibali weighs 65kg's, Chris Froome weighs 67,5kg's and AC weighs a whopping 62kg's. Tommy has a few kg's spare it seems. It could make a difference to his chances, especially now that he knows he can compete.

We must keep in mind that he prepared for the Vuelta with the aim of getting ready for world's TT.. I reckon he will definitely change his preparation for the grand tours now.

Thanks... So am I able to get away with less than DSTV premium? Cycling seems to be spread over SS2, SS6 and SS8?

You can also live stream eurosport. Edited by Gen

Usually Matt, Phill and Paul fill you in on whats, what during the broadcast of the stages.

( I prefer Mat, Cause he doesn't make up so much nicknames and he knows the equipment and bikes and stuff current)

other than the magazines on sale about two months before the tour i don't really know.

Usually Matt, Phill and Paul fill you in on whats, what during the broadcast of the stages.

( I prefer Mat, Cause he doesn't make up so much nicknames and he knows the equipment and bikes and stuff current)

other than the magazines on sale about two months before the tour i don't really know.

Ja but Phil is getting too confused these days... still think he should just take up being a your guide.

Also a good podcast to listen to is The Cycling Podcast.. they are pretty informative and also have great contacts for great interviews

LeTour is an excellent website...

David Millar's Racing through the dark is a good start, as is John Wilcockson's 23 Days in July (as an explanation as to how stage racing works seeing as LA is the chief protagonist).

This thread will also be a mine field of information so definitely ask away if anything confuses you.

Watching the 'Classics' (the major one day races held in the European spring) will help as well. Many of the racers who do well in those also tend to do well in the Tour.

We must keep in mind that he prepared for the Vuelta with the aim of getting ready for world's TT.. I reckon he will definitely change his preparation for the grand tours now.

I reckon the bug bit hard. 54km of TT gives him a shot, realistically at a top 20 or better depending on how he goes in the high mountains. A dark horse for the podium for sure if can repeat the Vuelta heroics.

As much as I love cycling this is a bit like xmas decorations going up in September for me.

We still have the Tour down Under and all the Middle East tours and the Spring Classics and monuments. Then the Giro. Only then the Tour.

As much as I love cycling this is a bit like xmas decorations going up in September for me.

We still have the Tour down Under and all the Middle East tours and the Spring Classics and monuments. Then the Giro. Only then the Tour.

You got to love Christmas specials in August