Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

It was like this: you will be woken up each morning around 5 AM. First start is at 7 AM. Depending on the route (and to avoid traffic jams at steep climbs and single tracks), batches (8 in total) may or may not be combined and start 10 or 15 minutes apart. Last one will usually have a start between 7.45 and 8.30 AM. The last stage tends to have a later start as it usually has less kilometers and less climbing. But as this year's race may well be faster ( and subsequently less time in the saddle, see also lower cut off times and shorter distances), I wouldn't be surprised to see more later starting times.

Where can we get more info regarding the cut off times?

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The squirts is generally due to riders behaving like savages. Piss all over the toilets instead of in the bowl, sometimes faeces on the toilet lid. How do you forget to lift the lid??

Take wet wipes

and a bottle of sanitiser every time you go to the toilet. 

Are there porta loos or decent toilets?

Just to share my experience and what i have learnt on last year’s epic :

Just my opinion/thoughts on things :

Cloudbase999 was my inspiration btw, really enjoyed that post :clap: - Yes, L glutamine is NB

- Recovery drink after is not enough, you also need to eat a lot, this needs to happen asap after you've finished a stage

- I see some guys with 3 waterbottels and a camelback, thats a lot of xtra weight.

- Carb drink helps alot to narrow the gap between breakfast and racetime.

- Speensalf, ASSOS chamois cream, or anything that has a antiseptic formula should be applied in big quantities

- The are way to many guyz who visit the bum clinic.. this is part reason

- The other reason is no Assos, im not going to bla bla about it, but its the only bib that holds it form in wet conditions, so its needed.

- Everything needs to be in a ziplock bag, a different bag for each day, socks, bib, gloves, bars ect ect in each bag

- bad sleep for 2 nights in a row increases your chances of a DNF, so take your earplugs, (proper ones) and your sleep remedy’s

- Recovery socks/pants needs to be on you asap after you finished a stage

- Buffs are needed, the dust 'n sand sections are insane at some sections..

- We you are full at dinner, eat some more

- Try and relax, the vibe in the race village is tight and tense

- Spend your energy wisely on the hills, 1km faster on a steep hill is a lot of energy

- I fell a lot, closed gloves are better

Well as I said, that’s just my 2cents and opinions on some things. Would be cool if you guys can add some more interesting stuff..

1. Does anyone know if they charge only Amped-Powerbanks or is there a chance to charge my Garmin Edge directly also.

1. I don´t understand this part of the rules:

CDR

1. Amped has a dedicated charging unit for Amped units only. If i remember correctly there is also a large table with wired connections for charging other paraphernalia. It's also usually provided by some sponsor or another, so can be different each year.  

2. If you do not have a license from your local cycling federation affiliated to the UCI, you can pay for a day license at registration. They'll probably charge you for 8 day licenses at registration. Might be a good idea to pop a mail to the folks at http://www.cyclingsa.com/contact-us/ for an out of country membership (if such a thing is possible) and fees.

Well as I said, that’s just my 2cents and opinions on some things. Would be cool if you guys can add some more interesting stuff..

I'd like to add:

- 2 water bottles or 1 camelback will do. The rest is excess weight you'll never use and just carry along

- get in to the starting chutes early if you want to better your ranking. You will profit from the quick start (especially in the first batches).

- if really fast teams descend/climb much faster than you do, let them pass where possible

- if you are a fast descending/climbing team: don't be pushy, most teams will give you passing space as soon as possible

- while you are descending, remember: speed is your friend. But don't ride out of your technical comfort zone.

- you'll meet a lot of nice people racing. Enjoy their company, crack a joke, encourage. Don't be an obsessive racing jerk. Even most of the pro's are easygoing, fine guys and girls.

- try to eat breakfast 2 hours before starting. Eat a lot. Especially if you don't feel like eating: eat.

- don't shave your legs, leave that for roadies  :devil: 

And here are some "always":

- always let the weaker rider lead on the hills or she/he'll blow up trying to follow the stronger one. And the drafting/wind factor is as good as nonexistent when you hit 10% climbs, so don't worry about that.

- if you see someone that has crashed or has a big technical, always ask if they need help. You'd love it if you are the one that crashed

- always let them lube the chain at the waterpoints. Always.

- for white Northern hemisphere participants: always apply sunscreen royally. Even on your back if you don't wear an undershirt. The SA sun can be a bitch and sleeping on a reddish back can become as hard as racing the Epic;

- And this you know, but don't try to be smart: always ride tubeless.

Are the toilets the standard building site porta loos? Lots of people telling me to use hygiene wipes and disinfectant sprays when using the toilets at the event

Mostly porta loos. Imo the biggest contributor to gastric flu. Wash your hands before and after going to the loo. You get the runs when you ingest pooh.

Are the toilets the standard building site porta loos? Lots of people telling me to use hygiene wipes and disinfectant sprays when using the toilets at the event

standard chemical portaloo as used at many many events around the country. And as I mentioned in a previous post, you will discover the dark side of humanity when you use those loos.

People can be real pigs. Wet wipes and antiseptic spray are your friend

I'd like to add:

- 2 water bottles or 1 camelback will do. The rest is excess weight you'll never use and just carry along

- get in to the starting chutes early if you want to better your ranking. You will profit from the quick start (especially in the first batches).

- if really fast teams descend/climb much faster than you do, let them pass where possible

- if you are a fast descending/climbing team: don't be pushy, most teams will give you passing space as soon as possible

- while you are descending, remember: speed is your friend. But don't ride out of your technical comfort zone.

- you'll meet a lot of nice people racing. Enjoy their company, crack a joke, encourage. Don't be an obsessive racing jerk. Even most of the pro's are easygoing, fine guys and girls.

- try to eat breakfast 2 hours before starting. Eat a lot. Especially if you don't feel like eating: eat.

- don't shave your legs, leave that for roadies  :devil:

And here are some "always":

- always let the weaker rider lead on the hills or she/he'll blow up trying to follow the stronger one. And the drafting/wind factor is as good as nonexistent when you hit 10% climbs, so don't worry about that.

- if you see someone that has crashed or has a big technical, always ask if they need help. You'd love it if you are the one that crashed

- always let them lube the chain at the waterpoints. Always.

- for white Northern hemisphere participants: always apply sunscreen royally. Even on your back if you don't wear an undershirt. The SA sun can be a bitch and sleeping on a reddish back can become as hard as racing the Epic;

- And this you know, but don't try to be smart: always ride tubeless.

nice to read, thnx!!

I rode the Epic last year, first one of hopefully many. The most important things to remember:

1. Enjoy it. It is an experience of a lifetime and treat it as such.

2. Do stop to take a photo, enjoy the view and just take it all in. You ain't gonna win it, so just as well take it in.

3. Don't spend to much time at the waterpoints.

4. Always keep your eye on the trail, it takes one little rock to make it a bad day.

5. Don't overspent on equipment. No need for fancy carbon everything. Ride with normal easy to repair gear. No one worries if you have the best of the best. Everyone is there to survive.

6. RECOVER. Spent as little time as humanly possible on your feet.

7. EAT. And when you are full, eat again! Natural foods, don't over supplement with sachet.

8. Last but most importantly, laugh at yourself. There will be times when you make a mistake, have a tumble and even question your sanity. In those times, just take it on the chin.

Archived