• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ag no man 

I know you have been lus for this thing since our jols around jozi

Dit is sommer hondnaai

Luckily I am still riding I am joining another team where so we decided that I would sell my entry. 

Looking forward to it! 

Luckily I am still riding I am joining another team where so we decided that I would sell my entry. 

Looking forward to it! 

ag great result

praaaaaaaap

Looking forward to it!

Oh cool!

Looking forward to it! 

I have come to realize that those VG rides we did were great workouts, got a bit of everything 

Few more questions:

The latest info from the website says the tented accommodation includes a fitted sheet. Else ware I read the participant needs to supply the sheet. Is a fitted sheet supplied?

Approximately what time do they start each day?

Are lights ever required for the race?

How does laundry work?

Anything that you would share that made a big impact on your race, that you would do differently.

Thank you.

Each tent has a mattress with a fitted sheet provided. On previous races I used my own spare double bed sheet, because the tent and mattress tends to accumulate a fair amount of dirt and mud, especially when it rains. It's just that little bit more comforting taking you clean sheet from your bag each night. On some hot nights, you'll likely sleep on top of the sheets / sleeping bag, while on rainy cape autumn nights you'll be well comfortable inside a goose-down sleeping bag. 

Don't bring your super-duper, all arctic, 40 cubic inch sleeping bag tho' - remember it has to fit inside your kit-bag to be transported between some stages.

If I remember correctly, the first batches start at about 6 to 6:30 each morning. Everyone's riding by about 8:00. 

A headlight is an absolute must; not on the bike; for rumbling around in your tent at 5h00 every morning and to get to the loo after lights-out at night. Make sure you have spare batteries. I use a good head-lamp and one or two cheapie-led jobs that can be strung up in the tent. 

Laundry is simple; Your kit-bag has a laundry bag with your race number in it. Each day-end you chuck your dirty clothes in it, drop it off, close to the shower area and collect your washed kit from the previous day, fresh as daisies. 

Some of the biggest impact stuff around camp for our team previously was usually the simple stuff. Do everything you can to sit on you butt or lie down as soon as, and as long as possible. Figure a system that works for you and do only that. Drop you bike, eat the recovery meal, shower, check your bike is OK after wash, sort out equip for the next day, chill with your mates, go to dinner, sleep, get dressed, breakfast, warm-up, get in the chutes. Stick to that routine and you'll be well-rested and prepped each day. Don't fart around up-and down the camp if you can avoid it. You'll still see lots of brave guys chasing about ti'll the early hours and then suffer for it next day.   

Black or green garbage bags !! Works perfectly to slide between the tent fly-sheet and keep the annoying condensation dripping on you. You can stuff dirty/muddy stuff in it to keep your tent clean.

Clean your hands obsessively!! Every year there is a mini outbreak of the squirts as peeps struggle to deal with he food, water, ablutions, influx of many people living in close proximity - I'm not sure what causes it, but there is no more heart-rending sight than seeing someone having to face a day on the bike with absolutely no energy in his body and not being able to keep food down. 

Each tent has a mattress with a fitted sheet provided. On previous races I used my own spare double bed sheet, because the tent and mattress tends to accumulate a fair amount of dirt and mud, especially when it rains. It's just that little bit more comforting taking you clean sheet from your bag each night. On some hot nights, you'll likely sleep on top of the sheets / sleeping bag, while on rainy cape autumn nights you'll be well comfortable inside a goose-down sleeping bag. 

Don't bring your super-duper, all arctic, 40 cubic inch sleeping bag tho' - remember it has to fit inside your kit-bag to be transported between some stages.

If I remember correctly, the first batches start at about 6 to 6:30 each morning. Everyone's riding by about 8:00. 

A headlight is an absolute must; not on the bike; for rumbling around in your tent at 5h00 every morning and to get to the loo after lights-out at night. Make sure you have spare batteries. I use a good head-lamp and one or two cheapie-led jobs that can be strung up in the tent. 

Laundry is simple; Your kit-bag has a laundry bag with your race number in it. Each day-end you chuck your dirty clothes in it, drop it off, close to the shower area and collect your washed kit from the previous day, fresh as daisies. 

Some of the biggest impact stuff around camp for our team previously was usually the simple stuff. Do everything you can to sit on you butt or lie down as soon as, and as long as possible. Figure a system that works for you and do only that. Drop you bike, eat the recovery meal, shower, check your bike is OK after wash, sort out equip for the next day, chill with your mates, go to dinner, sleep, get dressed, breakfast, warm-up, get in the chutes. Stick to that routine and you'll be well-rested and prepped each day. Don't fart around up-and down the camp if you can avoid it. You'll still see lots of brave guys chasing about ti'll the early hours and then suffer for it next day.   

Black or green garbage bags !! Works perfectly to slide between the tent fly-sheet and keep the annoying condensation dripping on you. You can stuff dirty/muddy stuff in it to keep your tent clean.

Clean your hands obsessively!! Every year there is a mini outbreak of the squirts as peeps struggle to deal with he food, water, ablutions, influx of many people living in close proximity - I'm not sure what causes it, but there is no more heart-rending sight than seeing someone having to face a day on the bike with absolutely no energy in his body and not being able to keep food down. 

The squirts is generally due to riders behaving like savages. Piss all over the toilets instead of in the bowl, sometimes faeces on the toilet lid. How do you forget to lift the lid??

Take wet wipes

and a bottle of sanitiser every time you go to the toilet. 

I think this has changed - the laundy service no longer runs every day - in any case I did not experience the kit as clean post wash, and not necesarily dry either - not something I would rely on too much.

I think this has changed - the laundy service no longer runs every day - in any case I did not experience the kit as clean post wash, and not necesarily dry either - not something I would rely on too much.

Good feedback. Did not ride in 2015, so cannot speak to recent changes. Sounds like we need to prepare for doing our own thing this year. A small container with enough Woollite for about 6 to 10 washes packs small, so I guess there'll be a bit of time spent, bent over the washbasins every afternoon.  

Good feedback. Did not ride in 2015, so cannot speak to recent changes. Sounds like we need to prepare for doing our own thing this year. A small container with enough Woollite for about 6 to 10 washes packs small, so I guess there'll be a bit of time spent, bent over the washbasins every afternoon.  

I am prepared - 1 set of clean kit for every day... :) vacuum packed - just goes back in the plastic packet when dirty and handed to the domestic engineer when home again...

Hello ACE-riders,

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know if they charge only Amped-Powerbanks or is there a chance to charge my Garmin Edge directly also.

1. I don´t understand this part of the rules:

“1. RULE 4.1: All South African residents participating in the race will be required to produce a valid Cycling South Africa (CSA) licence at race registration, or will be charged the applicable fee levied by CSA. All international riders will be required to produce a valid license from their national federation or pay the applicable fee levied by CSA. (You will need a racing license if you are participating in the UCI categories, if not you will only need a CSA membership. Please contact CSA directly for more info via www.cyclingsa.com.”

We are non-professional, German hobby rider without any license. We are not participating in the UCI Categories.

What is to do for us, as hobby riders?

Do we have to registrate on cyclingsa.com homepage? If yes, can you please tell me where?

Or can we pay the fee (mentioned above) during accreditation for Absa Cape Epic? What is the price?

Thank you.

Regards.

CDR

It was like this: you will be woken up each morning around 5 AM. First start is at 7 AM. Depending on the route (and to avoid traffic jams at steep climbs and single tracks), batches (8 in total) may or may not be combined and start 10 or 15 minutes apart. Last one will usually have a start between 7.45 and 8.30 AM. The last stage tends to have a later start as it usually has less kilometers and less climbing. But as this year's race may well be faster ( and subsequently less time in the saddle, see also lower cut off times and shorter distances), I wouldn't be surprised to see more later starting times.

Archived