Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

Hydration Pack or multitool & spares, etc stowed into jersey pocket? If going for the 2nd option will you get USN epic pro (official nutrition partner) at each WP to refill your bottles?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hydration Pack or multitool & spares, etc stowed into jersey pocket? If going for the 2nd option will you get USN epic pro (official nutrition partner) at each WP to refill your bottles?

Don't bank on it. They are already paying a [emoji90]load just to display a few banners and hand out product at the finish line that is about to expire. Have a small ziplock bag in your back pocket with 2 bottles supply of your own muti and a rehidrat as well.

The 32 x 10/42 is the best set up in my opinion. I'm in the Grandmaster category, 82 kgs ( could lose about 6), did a 7 hour Atta before Epic 2014 and was a mid pack Epic finisher, to give some context to my opinion. 

The problem with asking opinions from the general body of Hubbers is they are all different weights and levels of fitness, so without some background, it's difficult to know what to make of the differing opinions.

I will be doing Epic with that combo next year. If I don't do my usual overtraining trick.... ^_^

I have ridden the last 2 Epics on the same 32x10/42 setup. It worked perfectly for me. Only slight difference is that I ride Rotor rings. I am in the first half of the field (only just) to give some context. I prefer climbing and when I ran out of gearing everyone else was walking anyway. There comes a point where it is pointless to kill your legs just for the sake of riding, people come walking past you.

This year I will be on a XTR double 38/28 and 11/40 on the back. Honestly it doesn't give me much more than I had before. It is just a new bike with a different group.

I use a hydration pack only if it is extremely hot (40+). Otherwise 2 bottles are fine. The waterpoints are very well stocked so no need to carry too much food with you.

Also when it is very hot there will be water only waterpoints between the other waterpoints. The race doctors are quite paraat on that.

We are charging R4500 per bike excluding parts including complete service before epic.

Who is behind the "we"?

9 weeks until we roll down the start.

Not much time left to put the finishing touches on the training and if at all possible drop a kg or two.

Can I shamelessly plug a brilliant device? I'm quite impressed with the Sahmurai sword  that I got this week with the Cape Epic in mind. If you don't know it, here's more: http://www.ride.co.za/news/new-tech-tubeless-tools/ . I was afraid it would influence the steering but you just don't notice it is there and it is very easy to get out en put in again. The guy at the LBS that installed it, who himself finished top 50 in the 2014 Epic, said he would have killed for to have the Sahmurai sword in the Epic, it would have made repairing his 6 (!) punctures way easier and would have resulted in a much higher finish. 

Are there any other riders that think this is something that is a need to have for the Epic? Or even more interesting: riders that have a negative experience with the tool?

Can I shamelessly plug a brilliant device? I'm quite impressed with the Sahmurai sword that I got this week with the Cape Epic in mind. If you don't know it, here's more: http://www.ride.co.za/news/new-tech-tubeless-tools/ . I was afraid it would influence the steering but you just don't notice it is there and it is very easy to get out en put in again. The guy at the LBS that installed it, who himself finished top 50 in the 2014 Epic, said he would have killed for to have the Sahmurai sword in the Epic, it would have made repairing his 6 (!) punctures way easier and would have resulted in a much higher finish.

Are there any other riders that think this is something that is a need to have for the Epic? Or even more interesting: riders that have a negative experience with the tool?

Many complaints that they fall out, but otherwise, what a brilliant idea.

9 weeks until we roll down the start.

Not much time left to put the finishing touches on the training and if at all possible drop a kg or two.

I would think that's there's plenty of time to still drop some weight?

A couple of ready set plugs + a driver,(securely set in your back pocket) vs a 'plug n play' setup,(potentially lost) in the first couple of k's...?,...bit of a no brainer, BUT then, I'm no Epic Master at all... ????

A couple of ready set plugs + a driver,(securely set in your back pocket) vs a 'plug n play' setup,(potentially lost) in the first couple of k's...?,...bit of a no brainer, BUT then, I'm no Epic Master at all...

How do you lose this thing? I assume that happens when you don't install it properly. Riding with a driver in my back pocket is not my idea of a safe thing to do. Wouldn't like to fall on my back and find the driver sticking somewhere. And being the elderly Epic Grand Master that I am  ( :drool: ), I know I will fall a few times a year.