Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

If you fall a few times a year, I have seen the sahmurai plugs break in a crash

Many things can or will break in a crash. If you get up, your bike is fine and only the sahmurai end has broken, that seems to be the moment you recover the driver and put it in a back pocket. No?

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that's there's plenty of time to still drop some weight?

I hope so, it is going to be a balancing act to ensure that I don't over eat and put on weight but also that I don't under eat and under recover. I want to drop 5kgs before the start of the Epic

I hope so, it is going to be a balancing act to ensure that I don't over eat and put on weight but also that I don't under eat and under recover. I want to drop 5kgs before the start of the Epic

5 kilo in 9 weeks? Wow, that's going to be a tough one. I wish you lots of "train more, eat less". And "eat enough".

It can be done! Banting works for me.

It can be done! Banting works for me

Oh, and one more thing, stick to 700g - 1kgmax of weight loss per week. If you control carbs, sugar and portion size whilst training then its really easy to drop some weight.

My meals for today :

Breakfast : Yogurt nuts + coffee

Between : Coffee + Water

Lunch : 4 eggs + Salad

Between: Coffee + water

Dinner: 400g steak, salad and veg

Works for me, good luck!

I'd rather start 1 or 2 kgs heavier than too light. Tough not to overtrain and/or overeat in the next 9 weeks, 

Can I shamelessly plug a brilliant device? I'm quite impressed with the Sahmurai sword  that I got this week with the Cape Epic in mind. If you don't know it, here's more: http://www.ride.co.za/news/new-tech-tubeless-tools/ . I was afraid it would influence the steering but you just don't notice it is there and it is very easy to get out en put in again. The guy at the LBS that installed it, who himself finished top 50 in the 2014 Epic, said he would have killed for to have the Sahmurai sword in the Epic, it would have made repairing his 6 (!) punctures way easier and would have resulted in a much higher finish. 

Are there any other riders that think this is something that is a need to have for the Epic? Or even more interesting: riders that have a negative experience with the tool?

These are good - Rode a set at J2C without issues - my only reccomendation would be to buy 2 sets and just use the 2 plug insertion devices - then you have 2 ready to go - I wind up a spare plug one the stem for reloading it too - didn't have any issues but did regularly retighten the plugs mid rides.

2016 will be our first Cape Epic, so I have a bunch of questions that I hope everyone will help with, give their opinions. I will spread the questions out over time. Thank you in advance for your help.

We live in Florida, USA, with absolutely no hills to train on. The extent of our climb training is doing loops on a trail cut into the side of a landfill, YAY, what fun :nuke:  :nuke:

Our goal is to finish, so what is an effective pacing strategy? For the race and individual stages.

Are the cut off times reasonable?

Are more detailed elevation profiles supplied? We would like to try calculate our own cut off times along the route with a buffer in case of the unexpected.

The cut-offs are pretty reasonable I think, you certainly do not need to be super fast to beat them. Try and translate the cut-off's to an average speed and see how that seems to you. Instead of intermediate cut-offs you can then just try and keep faster than the required average speed.

A good pacing strategy if you want to finish is to be conservative, especially on the first few days. Lot's of people go out too hard the first few days and can't recover. Conserve energy when you can and keep within a nice comfortable effort zone. 

Don't stop too long either at the feed stations, this time can add up!

You definitely want a bit of a buffer though in case of a mechanical.

I'm a middle of the pack rider in most races I do and didn't get too close to any cut-offs.

Enjoy!

At my first Epic I had the same questions. But if you are properly trained and your bike is properly serviced before the start you don't have to worry about cut off times. I don't know but assume that most riders quit the race because of crashes or injuries, not because of the cuf off times.

The strategy of calculating minimum average speed mentioned above is a good one. We used is for the first 2 stages. But after that we were confident about our speed and abilities and stopped worrying about cut off times.

There are some other riding strategies you can apply:

- study the stage profile the day before and be aware where the main hills/mountains and waterpoints are. You will probably receive a sticker you can put on your frame that shows the profile of that day's stage. It will remind you on where you are.

- go to the rider briefing each night. Sometimes the stages are being changed last minute and it is good to know that the stage will be longer or harder (hardly never shorter and easier)

- divide the stage into pieces (mini-goals) so you are not being scared off by the total amounts of kilometers and climbing that day

- let the weakest rider lead uphill so he does not blow up trying to follow the stronger one. I think this is the most important one, It takes some discipline, especially from the stronger one as he wants to lead and kill the hill. But let the weaker one set the pace.

- on flatter parts and against the wind the strong one can lead (should)

- think about a waterpoint strategy: decide what you need and how to get it. And always let the guys lube the chain!

- it is a race, and as in most races there are always teams in each starting group that start very fast. Let them. Don't burn yourself in the first kilometers. It is not worth is, especially as you don't know if the fast starters are really good (and in a lower starting group because of a big mechanical the day before) or are not very good climbers and try to win some time on the flat parts that each stage usually starts with.

Good luck!

So how's everybody doing? Everybody feeling fit and healthy? Finally got myself a Santa Cruz for the Epic...:)

So how's everybody doing? Everybody feeling fit and healthy? Finally got myself a Santa Cruz for the Epic... :)

Great choice, I love my SC 

My Epic partner has had to pull out, I am looking to finish and not race the Epic. If you are interested please pm me, you will need to pay your own way.

My Epic partner has had to pull out, I am looking to finish and not race the Epic. If you are interested please pm me, you will need to pay your own way.

Eish sorry to hear luke man....good luck

Archived