Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

My first attempt at Epic and my first DNF,I now know how the boks felt losing to Japan..disappointment is an understatement so much so that I haven't collected my bike back from my mech team,My drama started end day 2 with a slight throbbing starting on my backside no broken skin but the pain was evident.That night got worse so off to medic first thing in the AM,Now a lump had formed larger than a golf ball,so I drop the rods and the medic applies a plaster and says you good to go..in my mind i'm saying there's no way a plaster is fixing this,off I go and drag myself to wtr table 2 were I meet up with the same medic I tell her I cant continue as my leg is turning red all around infected area and i'm getting the shivers in30deg .She then gives me a paracetamol and says I'm good to go, absolutely cluless.

Common sense kicks in and I make the call this is the end. Long story short i get myself to Mediclinic CPT surgeon has 1 look at this and cant believe i sat on a saddle, needless to say it was an abscess with internal bleading anyway on the mend anyway i got some unfinished business at the epic andi'll be back ,so if there's anyone looking for 1 determined partner for 2017 look no further..

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My third and my boet's seventh......2016 was a tough one. Having done all the SA, Lesotho, swazi and Kenya rides Epic's food is the worst by some margin. We stayed in our caravan and had microwave Woolies chow.

Chuffed to have completed it on my steel, fully rigid SS bike for the second year

Will I go back for 2017, definitely !

Were you team number 109?

Tom

My first attempt at Epic and my first DNF,I now know how the boks felt losing to Japan..disappointment is an understatement so much so that I haven't collected my bike back from my mech team,My drama started end day 2 with a slight throbbing starting on my backside no broken skin but the pain was evident.That night got worse so off to medic first thing in the AM,Now a lump had formed larger than a golf ball,so I drop the rods and the medic applies a plaster and says you good to go..in my mind i'm saying there's no way a plaster is fixing this,off I go and drag myself to wtr table 2 were I meet up with the same medic I tell her I cant continue as my leg is turning red all around infected area and i'm getting the shivers in30deg .She then gives me a paracetamol and says I'm good to go, absolutely cluless.

Common sense kicks in and I make the call this is the end. Long story short i get myself to Mediclinic CPT surgeon has 1 look at this and cant believe i sat on a saddle, needless to say it was an abscess with internal bleading anyway on the mend anyway i got some unfinished business at the epic andi'll be back ,so if there's anyone looking for 1 determined partner for 2017 look no further..

Smart move to drop out - medically anyway - the surgery for those can get complicated when/if they break through into the rectum (simple initial surgery, can become very complicated during recovery).

One of my mates went in with a small boil - dropped out on day 5 with major fever and took 5 surgeries to get it closed and healed - luckily the infection never got out of control and he missed out on a colostomy bag - as a result I have become more specific in my advice on pre-epic saddle sore prevention - think I put it in this thread too - for what it's worth.

See you next year.

Smart move to drop out - medically anyway - the surgery for those can get complicated when/if they break through into the rectum (simple initial surgery, can become very complicated during recovery).

One of my mates went in with a small boil - dropped out on day 5 with major fever and took 5 surgeries to get it closed and healed - luckily the infection never got out of control and he missed out on a colostomy bag - as a result I have become more specific in my advice on pre-epic saddle sore prevention - think I put it in this thread too - for what it's worth.

See you next year.

Ouch!! I'm sore just reading this. Thankfully no issues for me. 

Ouch!! I'm sore just reading this. Thankfully no issues for me. 

No issues for me either :)

Parner went in with a small sore - got it cleared pretty much by day 5

Were you team number 109?

Tom

Hi Tom, yep - Team 109 we were......getting close to that below 100 number we striving for. Maybe next year

Takes a big man to make a decision like withdrawing from the Epic. Right choice, smart. Wish you all the best in recovery and an entry of your choosing .

Geez man! Sounds hectic! good luck for 2017

Printed my Finishers Certificate a couple of days ago, luckily my daughter pointed out the typo. It's got 13-20 March 2015 as the dates !!

I see this has been corrected now.

Best you check for the same error.

Printed my Finishers Certificate a couple of days ago, luckily my daughter pointed out the typo. It's got 13-20 March 2015 as the dates !!

I see this has been corrected now.

Best you check for the same error.

sorry for sounding strange, but where did you download that?

sorry for sounding strange, but where did you download that?

My Epic Amabubesi certificate from this year had my brothers name on it and inserted in the wrong place..........must be a glitch in their system me thinks

Seems to be Epic whining day:

My start number had 'Newbie' on it although it was my second Epic... :whistling:  

Ok a question to the guys who rode this year: If the event were to offer sone sort of 'dnf-insurance' would you have taken it upon entering. Lets say the event have you the option to pay an additional <say> R 12 000 non refundable insurance incase you dnf to get another shot in 2017 for no additional charge? Entry non-transferable, deposit non-refundable?

Archived