Vets racing bad for your heart?

tombeej

Easy fix, just change your Heart rate zones, make your max 205bpm and then you will spend even more time at tempo. Duh

but your max should be set at the max you can get...i can do 200 easy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my recent races

168 bpm over 1:45 minutes (71 kms)

Max 196

I'm running on 44 years and a few months

Intriguing topic hey

Interesting topic.

My dad at 60 had issues with cholesterol, blood pressure etc.  Now at 71, everything is perfect.  Only difference, he started cycling.

Ok, so he doesn't race, although he often races youngsters up hills sometimes.  

Oh and never call him old... he gets very insulted.

Read that Velonews article a few days ago and it also made me sit up a bit. The 2 guys they refer to there had been doing huge miles for a long time. (Zinn had been logging 700 hours a year for DECADES) There are very few people that come close to that sort of workload for such an extended time. (I take comfort in the fact that I spent my forties fat and lazy. :)) I also experienced that 'flopping fish' sensation they speak of when I was fit during my running days and am experiencing it again now as I start getting properly fit again.

Who knows? A lot of them weren't necessarily pro-athletes in their younger days/  I don't think a lot of studies have been done on this yet, at least not what I could find.

My biased unscientific opinion is that we are going to see more older fit people run into heart problems as this fitness craze continues.

Make sure you understand the difference between correlation and causation before you panic. Maybe some people are just more prone to heart issues, whether they are couch potatoes or marathon athletes. 

Yikes

I spent 13 minutes on Saturday's race, higher than 188 bpm

:rolleyes:

(my bp goes up hectically in warmer temps)

but your max should be set at the max you can get...i can do 200 easy

Was trying to quote Patchys post and his softness...

My Pops at the tender age of 68 is training like hell. He does the odd MTB race from time to time.

A year or two ago he was worried that he was going to damage the heart. Backed off the training intensity a little.

Anyway he read Joe Friel's book Fast After 50. Now he's not scared of revving the motor again.

Basically if you are fit before you get old and your heart is used to getting revved, shouldn't be bad for you.

I dont know hey. You dont spend THAT much time in hectic zones.

Here is my last two races HR:

Satellite Classic:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/HR%20Satt_zpsvdqybepo.jpg

I have marked Hekpoort as reference below:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/HR%20Sat%20Graph_zpshfqvttzl.jpg

Sondela:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/HR%20Sondela_zps9hlymatz.jpg

Here I marked the 3 attacks I chased down and the point at which I was shelled, you can see lots of work being done leading up that point.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/HR%20Satt%20graph_zps6adshkqz.jpg

Point is, you spend most time in Z3/4 and not THAT much in higher zones...?

Edit: Just a side note, interesting to notice the difference in pace line riding after Hekpoort (top) to constant effort in TT after blue line on graph below.

Oh so you the oke who just chills in the bunch :)

Yikes

I spent 13 minutes on Saturday's race, higher than 188 bpm

:rolleyes:

(my bp goes up hectically in warmer temps)

We did a Bicycle Power TT thing the other day as a fun event, and I did not drop below 200bpm for the last 20mins!

My Pops at the tender age of 68 is training like hell. He does the odd MTB race from time to time.

A year or two ago he was worried that he was going to damage the heart. Backed off the training intensity a little.

Anyway he read Joe Friel's book Fast After 50. Now he's not scared of revving the motor again.

Basically if you are fit before you get old and your heart is used to getting revved, shouldn't be bad for you.

I like  :thumbup:

We did a Bicycle Power TT thing the other day as a fun event, and I did not drop below 200bpm for the last 20mins!

what?!!!!

:o

These two aspects do not equate.....at least not for my 178bpm max!

I hope it doesn't cause damage. I'm 55 and spent 01:11:23 above 180bpm at the Shova.

I have been for check ups and seem to be OK.

I've read articles about this before: that the older you get, the more damaging lots of high intensity endurance exercise (and racing) is for the old ticker.

Here's a recent article on the subject.

Another article here.

A 3rd article.

"Regular exercise reduces cardiovascular risk by a factor of two or three. That, of course, is a fantastic benefit. BUT the vigorous demand of running a competitive marathon increases cardiac risk by seven-fold. Long-distance running also results in high levels of inflammation that may trigger cardiac events and damage the heart post-marathon running."

and...

"Researchers used a group of extremely fit older men who were members of the 100 Marathon Club, meaning they had successfully run in a minimum of one hundred marathons. They found that half of these marathon-lifers showed some heart muscle scarring, especially the men who had trained the longest and hardest.

Some of the heart damage in super fit older athletes who live a very healthy lifestyle in all respects can be compared to the hearts of people who are heavy smokers/drinkers.

I'm in my 40's now and have basically been doing competitive sports non-stop since I was a little lighty. And hard endurance type sports since my early 20's. 

So as I head into the 2nd half of my life expectancy, do I wind down the endurance sports and stop racing? Will my natural need for regular competition allow that? Can't see myself not exercising and racing until my old age.

This why you want to drop back to "I" Batch for the 94.7??  :whistling:

Archived