Africa Cycle Fair 2015: The Mountain Bikes

Nick

The Standard Bank Africa Cycle Fair took place this past weekend at St Stithians in Johannesburg. As the biggest showcase of the South Africa cycling industry, Bike Hub were there to cover the products on display. First up are some of the mountain bikes (and a BMX) that were on display.

Click here to view the article

Some gorgeous bikes on display there. 

"At the fair last year, fat bikes were all the rage. This year there were barely a handful on display." The fat bike trend fizzled out quicker than Vanilla Ice's music career. To all the guys who bought fat bikes last year and now want to flog them...

http://www.naoligo.com/kkk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/ha-ha-nelson-Simpsons-nelson-ha-ha-93-p-672x480.jpg

Which one won the crown of "Best bike in Africa"?

We hear it will be announced on Friday. But will confirm once we get a definite answer.

who are the Pivot Importers/Distributors ?

Complete Cyclist.

There's so much potential for the fair... Popped by there on Sunday afternoon and being a roadie, I found that majority of the products were MTB related. It could grow to huge heights if a lot of exibitors that we see at 94.7 or the argus expo join as well as other brands in the cycle industry but nonetheless it was really a good experience and vibe

We hear it will be announced on Friday. But will confirm once we get a definite answer.

Complete Cyclist.

You guys should've snapped some pics of the bicycles parked at the bicycle park, there were some beauties parked there, especially on Sunday :drool:

Heard some talk at the cycle fair that fat bike sales have plummeted....I wouldn't know but I wouldn't be surprised either.

And this plus size 650b....whatever it is..thoughts on that? just another fad? It is, however, not for me.

And this plus size 650b....whatever it is..thoughts on that? just another fad? It is, however, not for me.

I think that 27.5+ and 29+ is more useful to more riders more of the time than fatbikes. However, time will tell what kind of consumer buy-in there will be in the medium and long term. 

I think that 27.5+ and 29+ is more useful to more riders more of the time than fatbikes. However, time will tell what kind of consumer buy-in there will be in the medium and long term.

A year ago I was looking for a geared bike as a more "trail" oriented ride. Tried a few fat bikes, but couldn't get over how cumbersome they were. Traction is immense, but they are, for want of a better word, "lazy"?

I've been riding my 29+ Krampus for a year now, and it's brilliant. More grip than I'll ever need, but it rides like my other 29er in terms of getting up to speed, etc.

Much as it pains me to say it, I think 27+ will get much more traction[emoji1] in the market due to the buy in from bigger manufacturers like Spez, etc

I think 27.5+ may just be the sweet spot for lots of traction and not too much added weight. Particularly if bike brands start building in space enough to add them on standard 29" frames, which some already are. Gets you 2 bikes in one and pretty different rides on each with very little impact on head angle and BB height . 29+ is ok, but for any kind of trail riding the compromise of some pretty long chainstays to make space for those Tyres, makes for a bit of a lumbering hulk of a bike,

I think 27.5+ may just be the sweet spot for lots of traction and not too much added weight. Particularly if bike brands start building in space enough to add them on standard 29" frames, which some already are. Gets you 2 bikes in one and pretty different rides on each with very little impact on head angle and BB height . 29+ is ok, but for any kind of trail riding the compromise of some pretty long chainstays to make space for those Tyres, makes for a bit of a lumbering hulk of a bike,

I also had the same initial thoughts about the 29+. However, my Krampus is a lot more nimble than its dimensions and look suggest.