Protea Cycle Classic - Meyerton - complaint

Big Phil

Hi All!

This guy should be banned from organizing events - FULL STOP!

What did we pay R160 for?

The lady in the BMW dropping off water was Wimpie's wife as far as I know, he was trying to pick people up with the one sweeper vehicle that was there.

Also a guy close to the finish about 5km's out had a heart attack and there was no medics or ambulances, fellow cyclist's phoned to get this man help directly from 082 911 as there was no medical services available.

When we phoned to complain and ask for water, we were told by Wimpie that there was no water because people are filling bottles and are only suppose to take one cup per cyclist, that is what they catered for.

As for the people above saying that the cycling should have came prepared...we did...but we also paid our entry fee for a reason!

Maybe if you were in that situation and saw everyone next to the road in the states that they were in and you saw the attitude of the organizers, you would understand!

Any event organized by this clown will not be seeing me again...EVER!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keen to see the times if they ever get published. Not many sub 3's I suspect on a very flat 80k course so that should tell you something.

I came in 6th place at 2h32..very slow..about 33 average..

Think I did about a 2:55 but it was difficult to tell because the timekeepers were around the corner and up the road from the finish line. Very long last 10k's

Was this a CSA sanctioned event ? If so, they need to do something like sanctioning the organizer ! But we know that probably won't happen.

Best way.......vote with your wallet.

Wimpie van Niekerk is the presence behind most races in the Meyerton and Vanderbijlpark/Stonehaven locations. You are likely to find a race almost every month at these places, all organized by Wimpie. Given the amount of races he organizes, one would think he is an absolute ace in the running of a cycling event. (Unless, off course, he is simply addicted to smell of ZAR banknotes). I am not sure if he is also in the mix when The Value Logistics is held in January. I could give you his number, but rather look it up yourself on the Bicycling site. This is not on. Ask the dude for an explanation and an apology. Then still vote for you wallet. I am not accusing the dude of anything, but sounds like he should rather consider being a tow-truck driver. You cannot risk people's lives for your personal gain.

with the current heat wave lots of races will fall prey to this, I'm sure they order the same amount of supplies as they did the year before and in that they have 10% extra(just in case) as per the ASG thread not like there is lots of money in it! so im sure they wanna get the orders spot on. 

so my advice would be carry 50% more water for the next few months, organizers should do the same too.

lots of races have and will run out of water, we know the risks.....  lets make sure we all prepared. 

Hi All!

This guy should be banned from organizing events - FULL STOP!

What did we pay R160 for?

The lady in the BMW dropping off water was Wimpie's wife as far as I know, he was trying to pick people up with the one sweeper vehicle that was there.

Also a guy close to the finish about 5km's out had a heart attack and there was no medics or ambulances, fellow cyclist's phoned to get this man help directly from 082 911 as there was no medical services available.

When we phoned to complain and ask for water, we were told by Wimpie that there was no water because people are filling bottles and are only suppose to take one cup per cyclist, that is what they catered for.

As for the people above saying that the cycling should have came prepared...we did...but we also paid our entry fee for a reason!

Maybe if you were in that situation and saw everyone next to the road in the states that they were in and you saw the attitude of the organizers, you would understand!

Any event organized by this clown will not be seeing me again...EVER!

Does Wimpie even cycle? One cup (250ml) of water....??!!

Wimpie must be on Bikehub.....Knock knock Wimpie??

I doubt that you will get response from the organizers. Their poor organization was pretty much indefensible. The decent thing would have been to respond - ala ASG, however they would face more questions than they could possibly respond to.

In stark contrast to this!!

The Vortex race was also on Sunday. 112 km in the wind and heat. Out and back route with 5 water points (I think).

I had to stop at the 15 km to go point, since I ran out of water (39 deg C by then). I got my water bottle filled with coke and water - ice cold. Table at the finish - same thing - ice cold water/coke.

Championchip did the timing - results out by Monday morning.

Cost = R150 for a line entry.

No wonder I drove nearly 120km to support the race.

In stark contrast to this!! The Vortex race was also on Sunday. 112 km in the wind and heat. Out and back route with 5 water points (I think). I had to stop at the 15 km to go point, since I ran out of water (39 deg C by then). I got my water bottle filled with coke and water - ice cold. Table at the finish - same thing - ice cold water/coke. Championchip did the timing - results out by Monday morning. Cost = R150 for a line entry. No wonder I drove nearly 120km to support the race.

I will remember to rather do the Vortex next year

In stark contrast to this!!

The Vortex race was also on Sunday. 112 km in the wind and heat. Out and back route with 5 water points (I think).

I had to stop at the 15 km to go point, since I ran out of water (39 deg C by then). I got my water bottle filled with coke and water - ice cold. Table at the finish - same thing - ice cold water/coke.

Championchip did the timing - results out by Monday morning.

Cost = R150 for a line entry.

No wonder I drove nearly 120km to support the race.

BOOM...!

Archived