Wheelset + Wife

Toxic

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced a white fox fork with a black sid xx.

It took my missus about a month to notice it. Keep the colour and style the same and they usually don't notice the change.

Another good tactic is to wait until you have a crash and then blame the item you want to replace for the crash. Invent some technical sounding reason. Alternately tell her you almost had a crash.

Example: "I came off / almost came off on circuits today. My front wheel picked up a wobble which made it go out / almost go out from under me. The bearing casing / rim braking surface / rim weld is shot and can't be replaced or repaired. 

I'm going to have to buy a new wheelset I am afraid.

It's a safety issue / that's what I get for buying cheap wheels / I should have replaced it months ago but I didn't want to spend the money".

Ja, at first blush, you'd think it was a classified... 

I thought it was going to be in the exchange section, I came here to find out what he wanted in return...

I thought it was going to be in the exchange section, I came here to find out what he wanted in return...

Usually ends with something like..."to good home".  

Edited by Tumbleweed

My greatest fear when I die, is that my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her it's worth!

I've seen that somewhere before

I replaced a white fox fork with a black sid xx.

It took my missus about a month to notice it. Keep the colour and style the same and they usually don't notice the change.

Another good tactic is to wait until you have a crash and then blame the item you want to replace for the crash. Invent some technical sounding reason. Alternately tell her you almost had a crash.

Example: "I came off / almost came off on circuits today. My front wheel picked up a wobble which made it go out / almost go out from under me. The bearing casing / rim braking surface / rim weld is shot and can't be replaced or repaired. 

I'm going to have to buy a new wheelset I am afraid.

It's a safety issue / that's what I get for buying cheap wheels / I should have replaced it months ago but I didn't want to spend the money".

Whoohoo. You on the edge brother. Lier lier. Hold onto you ass. Might be a smoke around. :eek: :eek:  Lol

I shared a post in FB by the sheriff (the #becyclistaware one), and the wife asked if it was my bike in the photo.

As long as the item is more or less the same colour she probably won't notice. I bought a Cycleops trainer a few months back, its black in colour, I had a Tacx before that. She comes into my study a few days ago and says "did you not have a green one before this?" (Never mind the Tacx is actually blue and grey). I said I did but that was months ago, no comment from her after that. I had sold the Tacx in the meantime and the guy came to fetch it from my house, wife took no notice. I just told her that I was selling some bike parts.

Bought a Ultra DI2 groupset for my bike, a year later (a few days ago) she comes into my study sees the bike is plugged in to charge the DI2 battery. Asks me why is your bike on a charger? I explained its for the electronic groupset, went straight over her head. Seems that if a few months have gone by between purchase and discovery then it's ok.

The trick is, use cash or the credit card, the statement on a credit card (Nedbank anyway) not a obvious as it is from the cheque card and she does not really look at it.

My wife has this idea that all our spending should be equal, while I totally agree, I cannot justify spending 50k on a wheelset, 25k on the wheels and 25k for her, which she will spend on some more clothes to be thrown in her cupboard. I bought FFW deep section wheels a few months ago, they have red and white decals, thought she will see that straight away, not a word so far. I lent my old wheelset, Dark Horse, to a budy in the meantime so she does not see two sets of wheels in the study. When I get those back she will probably notice that I now have two sets, but the Dark Horse are a lot cheaper and I can always explain I bought a set of training of wheels for 5k and then the equal spending rule can apply. 

How do you tell your wife you "need" a new wheelset that is worth R15k ? 

You don't, at least not until you already have them.!

And since when have any wheels been more than R5k.? :whistling:

Edited by Thomo