Miway insurance claim goes one way

streetfighter

My 2 cents worth, don't speak to any cyclist regarding Miway in the KZN Newcastle area. No one will ever insure with them after the interrogation we had to go through with one of our riders over a fork that broke during a ride. They are the worst insurers you will ever get to know. If I had not had a personal interview done with them regarding the ride and subsequent interrogation done!! Shocking is all I can say

As they say to pay for what you get. Give Miway a miss please!!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miway is the last company I would every deal with. Had drama with they guys harassing me on the cell after hrs trying to sell me insurance...

Find a GOOD broker to fight the fight for you. They know the best way to claim and have your interest at heart!

Interesting that my insurer will not pay out if the race has money up for grabs...

I plan to ride super careful in races! :ph34r:

Remember that post some time back when an insurance company refused to pay out a woman after her bike was stolen. Their reason was there was no sign of forced entry.

Just like this thread, the response was overwhelmingly in favour of her, with people threatening to cancel their policies etc.

She made the thread known to the insurance company. They obviously saw how much damage was done to their reputation and decided to pay out anyway. They even registered on the Hub and made a big song and dance as to how they were going to honour the claim.

Perhaps Miway would do the same thing if they new just how much their reputation has dived.

Thanks

I've send an email to Rachel Lewis with the necessary questions obtained from the hub and also mentioned that this claim is openly discussed on thehubsa forum

The only response I got from Rachel Lewis is that the frame is with Ian at Procycles for repair.

To keep sanity I cancelled my other policies with them to avoid disappointments if I should claim in future.

So far I'm waiting on response from Rachel to clarify the remaining questions that I asked.

BTW to the OP...are you the youngster that went down at the finishing line? Colliding with the dumbass Golf driver! It happened 10m from where I was standing...it looked horific!

Sorry to hear about this...I was in the cde group the crash on the Malmesbury rd went over 2 guys that went down pretty hard.

After my accident on raceday 24-10-15 at the CWC Derby Dash I've reported may first ever claim via e-mail to Miway. They've responded, and advise me to take my racebike to CWCycles to do the assessment, as they are the only assessor in Cape Town for Miway.

Rachel Lewis (rep) and Martinus (Manager) was unhappy with Chris Willemse's professional decision to have the frame replaced. With a lengthy discussion, the manager explain to me that fixing carbon frames is common practice and Miway need to manage their funds?

Hands tied Miway shipped my frame free of charge to Johannesburg to have another assessment done with who they've a better understanding

November 06, 14 days later the bad news arrived that my frame will be repaired and it will take another 14 to 18 days excluding shipping and assembly. I'm blown away by this and lost for words. Paid up coming events like DC and Burger now hanging on a thread and all I can do is maybe purchase another bicycle to compensate?

Hope is not a strategy but hope is all I had in my insurance Miway

claim no674753 R280 for R50 000 failed hopelessly

Not sure the age of your bike, but if you accept it repaired, there goes your warranty....

Sounds like a shitty insurance company to me... Time for a change.

As a sub note, if done correctly, there is nothing wrong with a good carbon repair. Having said that, you insure your bike for events like this, so fight your corner and then change insurance companies.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about this...I was in the cde group the crash on the Malmesbury rd went over 2 guys that went down pretty hard.

Oh ok...glad your "ok" mate :thumbup:

Frame repairs are cheap, so if their strategy is to repair broken frames, then there is no point in having insurance for accidents.

My 2 cents worth, don't speak to any cyclist regarding Miway in the KZN Newcastle area. No one will ever insure with them after the interrogation we had to go through with one of our riders over a fork that broke during a ride. They are the worst insurers you will ever get to know. If I had not had a personal interview done with them regarding the ride and subsequent interrogation done!! Shocking is all I can say

As they say to pay for what you get. Give Miway a miss please!!

Outsurance used to have a guy notorious for that. Is the oke you dealt with oldish? 

I was chatting to a buddy of mine who runs a few brokerages, he mentioned a few points to consider....

This is not advice, these just personal thoughts.

If your policy wording says they will repair or replace, you are pretty stuffed at the obudsman, HOWEVER......

First, check with the manufacturer if the warranty will in fact be void if they repair the bike.

If it is not void, then no problem?

If the manufacturers warranty is void by the repair, check with MiWay if they then carry that warranty, they should because it was their choice to repair it. Get this in writing.

If it is repaired by a qualified/certified carbon dude and signed off, you probably wont have recourse in a liability claim if you crash again, even if you can prove it was the fault of the repair, you need to ask who is liable for that, the insurer or the repair dude? Ps, who covers you if you crash a brand new bike and need medical/financial assistance. Why wouldnt you just claim from them, they can try and recover from whoever they deem is responsible.

Also be aware that the damage was caused by an accident, most manufacturers would be quick to point any faults to that event as the casuation, which would just mean that even if you didnt crack the frame now, any future claims would have been agaisnt the insurer anyway as the warranty does not cover that.

All I can say is, speak to a broker!

I always thought that insurance is there to place you in the same position after an incident! So the fact then is...if you accept a repaired frame you are not in the same position as before, because your frame has lost its warranty! Therefore do not accept the repair, unless the insurer also accepts to take over the warranty from the manufacturer, which will become nul and void if the frame is repaired!

A few years back I had a similar claim with AON. I was quite happy to get the frame repaired and resprayed as the crack really was nothing serious. They however insisted to replace the frame in order to avoid any future liability should the frame break.

I always thought that insurance is there to place you in the same position after an incident! So the fact then is...if you accept a repaired frame you are not in the same position as before, because your frame has lost its warranty! If the warranty is lost Therefore do not accept the repair, unless the insurer also accepts to take over the warranty from the manufacturer, Ok cools so we are sorted again which will become nul and void if the frame is repaired! Nope guess not?

You need to make sure that "what you think" you are covered for is in your policy wording. If it is not, then thinking about it will just give you a head ache.

Read that underlined part again, you counter your own statements several times.

Archived